Insane Difficulty, How Is This Supposed to Be Fun?

Community Support for the game and it's features
thezorch
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: THEZORCH
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Insane Difficulty, How Is This Supposed to Be Fun?

Postby thezorch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:31 pm

I'd like to ask, what is the point of having a Combat Rank when every NPC that attacks you is much higher rank than you. I haven't run into this problem but my best friend has and now he's threating to quit the game, and we just joined the PvE group.

He is "constantly" under attack, and I've seen it happen personally multiple times. We were mining, NPCs jump in, they ignore me and go straight for him. We both have Asp Explorers, neither of us has Wanted Status, neither of us has a standing under Neutral with any faction, neither of us were carrying cargo, yet they always 100% of the time went straight for him. We were on a planet checking out points of interest, we took off and three NPCs jumped in, seconds later they all three start attacking him and only come after me when I open fire to protect him. They were Elite or Dangerous Rank and destroyed me with missiles and cannon fire before my FSD can charge. Later, he decides to do Boom Data Delivery missions and the same ELITE NPC chases him across three systems, interdicts him successful and destroys him before he has a chance to respond.

This is on top of being attacked and destroyed while coming out of supercruise on multiple occasions. I'm not kidding, every time I turn around he's getting ganked by something way higher than him. This is absolutely insane, how is this fun?

What the heck is going on? I've checked his ship and Commander status, there is NO REASON why this keeps happening. None at all.

He's thinking of deleting his save and starting over, but if this keeps happening he'll leave the game. We need advice, what is going on? What are we doing wrong? This isn't Dark Souls, this game isn't supposed to be this brutal.
Commander THEZORCH
Youtuber/Live Streamer for...
Zorch Central and Gamers Bay
The Zorch Central - Gamers Bay Twitch Live Stream Alliance (Restream.io)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Insane Difficulty, How Is This Supposed to Be Fun?

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Does your friend have six fingers?
► Show Spoiler

Joking aside.
Sounds seriously wierd, then again something is wierd with this games RNG.

One oddity I have noticed is my main account has less successful engineering results than my second account.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow

Postby sean_crow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 pm

It sounds like the game is griefing on your friend.
Are you sure, you're not playing in open? ;)

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Ahhh....

Back to the good old days......Of whatever release it was......Getting attacked left right and centre......

What combat rank is your mate? if it's high that would explain the Elite NPC's......

As for them always going for him.......Weird unless he is carrying sthg you are not....Or has taken a mission or sthg......

Maybe he's just better looking.........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:54 pm

That sounds like very odd behaviour, as others have asked what rank is he? In theory you should only be attacked by (I think) NPCs of two ranks higher than yourself, if he is ranked dangerous then he will get deadly and elite NPCs (note this doesn't apply to missions, the NPCs spawned by missions are related to the mission rank).

The elite NPC that chased him across multiple systems sounds like the one that the mission spawned, mission NPCs are relentless and will chase you to you either complete the mission or destroy them.

As for the frequency, are you sure he's not carrying anything, has he got an Engineering commodity (not material) in his hold he's forgotten about?
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:13 pm

Xebeth wrote:The elite NPC that chased him across multiple systems sounds like the one that the mission spawned, mission NPCs are relentless and will chase you to you either complete the mission or destroy them.

And they'll always be waiting for you, no matter what circuitous route you take. And if you get them down to 1% hull, they'll be waiting for you again 100% repaired. This is one of the behaviors they will need to fix before I pick up the hotas again. :(
It's time to give this another go.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Is he pledge to a Power Play power? Not that he should get that level of harassment, but .... who knows. Otherwise, I'd say he has to have engineers cargo on board or is wanted. I've never heard about the game being that harsh on anyone that's clean.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

thezorch
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: THEZORCH

Postby thezorch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 am

Neither of us is pledged to a faction in Power Play and like me, he's ranked Mostly Harmless. We both got the game from Steam, BTW and he's using an HTC VIVE though it "shouldn't" make a difference. Shouldn't...

What do you think? Should he delete his save and see if that helps? If it is his account he'll go completely nuclear.
Commander THEZORCH
Youtuber/Live Streamer for...
Zorch Central and Gamers Bay
The Zorch Central - Gamers Bay Twitch Live Stream Alliance (Restream.io)

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 am

Humm..... very very strange. I recommend submitting a ticket with FD support to see if there is something strange going on that's causing his 'popularity' with the NPC's. Short of that, I'd say a clear save would be the next step.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 am

JohnLuke wrote:Humm..... very very strange. I recommend submitting a ticket with FD support to see if there is something strange going on that's causing his 'popularity' with the NPC's. Short of that, I'd say a clear save would be the next step.
Do not throw your savegame away. Wait for a reply from FD and buy a different ship and see if you have the same problems.
Debug it!

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Return to “Gameplay and Features”