Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Rylo Ken
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Need help - FAS - Is it viable?

Postby Rylo Ken » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:32 am

Hey folks..
So, I need some help. (I hope this is the right forum)

I haven't played all THAT much. I started in November 2016 and played hard for about 5 weeks. Got burnt out and took a break. Came back a few weeks ago. Having said that, I like to think that I'm at least a 'competent' combat pilot. I enjoy taking my Vulture into haz res's all day long. Not afraid to go 1 on 1 with any NPC ship. Same with the FDL... altho the Vulture is my baby and I prefer that play style by far.

Now... the Federal Assault Ship. Oh my word!! I just cannot get on with this ship. Now, I can take it into a high res and do 'fine'. But, how boring. When I take it into a haz res, I just get wrecked! Obviously this ship is SUPPOSED to be able to hull tank. Now, in my mind, that should really be the last resort. I do NOT find it fast enough or quick enough to play it like the Vulture, circle strafing, staying in blind spots, etc. Well, I don't know how else to play it. Staying in front of pretty much any ship just gets a rebuy.

So.. help a brother out. Is the FAS feasible or viable for haz res solo play? If so, HOW? What am I doing wrong? What am I missing? Or do I just sell it and stick to the Vulture and Corvette for my combat cravings?

Appreciate any help.

RK

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice

Re: Need help - FAS - Is it viable?

Postby Rylo Ken » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 am

I'm about [<this close>] to selling this thing.... OH MY WORD

RK

Imo
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Imo
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Imo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 am

Hey Cmdr. :)

This is Elite veteran Imo writing ^^.

Your Federal Assault Ship is able to survive in the hazardous resource extraction site:

First of all, do not take any cargo into the res site or you will be overrun by pirate npc vessels.
Second, do not pledge to a power. This will keep you safe too.
Third, be sure you are not "wanted", so you won't take attention by npc pirates.

Following these tips you can park your Federal Assault ship in the haz res site doing nothing.
You won't be attacked. Now you can choose yourself which targets you want to head on.
If you need any help, don't hesitate to wing or crew up with me and watch me do.

Greetings, Cmdr Imo / Elite Secret Service

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:08 am

I tried to like the FAS, but it never gelled for me. To each there own, I guess.

I use the Vette for 85% of my RES hunting, love running the FDL in the RES once in a while, and I keep a Vulture for those "need for speed" moments.

Use what works for you and sell the rest, IMO.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:17 am

Whilst it is true that the FAS has a much stronger hull than the Vulture, hull tanking isn't really a thing any more, FD 'tweaked' it some time back effectively removing it as a viable tactic.

The Vulture has much stronger effective shields, and is quite a bit more manoeuvrable than the FAS, so whilst the FAS does more raw damage, the Vulture has greater survivability with shields up, with shields down the FAS will last longer but really only to escape now.

The FAS also suffers from odd weapons placement meaning there is a sweet spot where all weapons will fire, when your target is not in that spot you effectively lose DPS.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 am

I think it depends on your price range as to the ship you choose. I have had both a Vulture and a FAS in the past, each has their pluses and minuses. I think I preferred the Vulture in a combat roll. Think too its a matter of style. I am not a great combat pilot so I do not think I got the best out of either ship.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:32 am

You'r not wrong.
FD completely wrecked it.

It's a useless space paper weight now.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Rylo Ken
Novice
Novice

Postby Rylo Ken » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Fair enough. I appreciate the feedback.
Done and done.

RK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oziki
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Oziki

Postby Oziki » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Is it viable? Experience may vary based on Personal preference, pilot skill & engineer upgrades (don't walk, Run to thruster engineer right out of the sales floor) :)

I think that what folks are saying here about the FAS ring true, however I also think It's actually a fun ship to fly.
I would not engage dangerous & above level targets that are bigger than me lightly though, but then again I know I am a sloppy pilot.

I have had good success with it putting turrets / missiles on it & using to let friends learn how to use the gunner role, Cheaper rebuy than bigger ships anyway

Look forward to the gunship someday, I love that one, Imagine 7 hard points & up to 2 deployed fighters. It might be the slowest ship in the game though.
"What's that flashing?!"

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Sure it's fun to fly.

But try engaging it in a serious combat situation, like haz res's or especially cz's where you are either outgunned or outnumbered, or both.
It becomes a useless piece of garbage instead of the awesome killing matching it used to be.
The clipper used to also be absolutely brilliant when you armour ranked it.
But now that's just not an option, period.

You are better off in a vulture who can perform like it used to, but needs a bit of engineering to get back to "Awesome".
And yes I have recently tried out a fully engineered FAS.

Actually just after testing this fully outfitted FAS, I tested a ferdie (I got 4 billion credits to play with) and got in a little over my head with it as well.
But once the nearly 1k of shields I had on it was gone.

It hull tanked better than the FAS..
And the ferdie had lightweight armour. What's up with that ?
Last edited by TorTorden on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”