Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Am I crazy?

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello CMDRs

I am flying a Type 6 for cargo runs, to gain REP and win some cash.
It's a good entry point cargo hauler, but it's sure no fighter. So I have configured my T6 to a "get-out-of-Dodge-fast!" configuration. If I stay behind and try to fight, I will be dead for sure.

In summary I added: the biggest cargo bays, improved armor and shields (added a Shield Cell Bank), added a Point Defense Turret, better thrusters and FSD. Absolutely no weapons.

I am (too) crazy?
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

GreenViper
Master
Master
CMDR: GreenViper
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Am I crazy?

Postby GreenViper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:44 pm

No, not crazy... it's the way to go.
With modded thrusters it boosts quite Ok to outrun an interdiction, did it many times myself.
Meanwhile I've completely converted it to exploration doing most of the hauling with the Python and Anaconda now.

my current T6 setup: Here
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator
MCRN Squadron Commander & Council member

cyberbofh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: cyberbofh

Postby cyberbofh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Hello CMDRs
---
In summary I added: the biggest cargo bays, improved armor and shields (added a Shield Cell Bank), added a Point Defense Turret, better thrusters and FSD. Absolutely no weapons.
---

Looks like a fine configuration to me
--

Fly safely CMDR! o7

Discord Mod
Forum Mod

Remember Wheaton's law

ImageImage

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't think you are crazy at all, might even be a bit too cautious. I have a few ships that are full D rated apart from FSD, with no other modifications, including an Anaconda which I think has a slower boost speed than the T7, and I seem to have no problem escaping. I do fit them with a points defence, but apart from that I do not bother with additional shield protection. Very rarely a few laser strikes might hit the shields at a distance.

I may be a very poor combat pilot, but I am good at running away :)

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm

GreenViper wrote:No, not crazy... it's the way to go.
With modded thrusters it boosts quite Ok to outrun an interdiction, did it many times myself.
Meanwhile I've completely converted it to exploration doing most of the hauling with the Python and Anaconda now.

Thanks for sharing.
So you still keep your T6 around, even with a Python and an Anaconda? Sweet! 8-)

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm

DarkMere wrote:I may be a very poor combat pilot, but I am good at running away :)

:D :D :D
That is a fine quote for a .signature.
8-)

Roberlin
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Roberlin

Postby Roberlin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 pm

You are not crazy. Your survival will depend not only on the ship's modules, but also on your behaviour. I would prefer to have a Chaff Launcher instead of the Point Defense. And I don't think you will be able to use the Shield Cell Bank. Try not to get shot in the first place and high wake out. Like this:

Once interdicted, submit immediately to save time and hull damage. Put four pips in ENG and two in SYS. Turn to face your attacker and boost, so that you get past them and they must turn around to shoot at you. Release chaff and boost again. Choose the closest star system from the navigation tab and jump out as soon as your FSD is ready for charging. Maybe chaff and boost once more until that time has come.

Since the T6 is a rather small ship, low-waking will usually be hindered by mass-lock. High-waking is not. But with the method I described you are safe even against human interdictors.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Roberlin wrote:You are not crazy. Your survival will depend not only on the ship's modules, but also on your behaviour. I would prefer to have a Chaff Launcher instead of the Point Defense. And I don't think you will be able to use the Shield Cell Bank. Try not to get shot in the first place and high wake out. Like this:

Once interdicted, submit immediately to save time and hull damage. Put four pips in ENG and two in SYS. Turn to face your attacker and boost, so that you get past them and they must turn around to shoot at you. Release chaff and boost again. Choose the closest star system from the navigation tab and jump out as soon as your FSD is ready for charging. Maybe chaff and boost once more until that time has come.

Since the T6 is a rather small ship, low-waking will usually be hindered by mass-lock. High-waking is not. But with the method I described you are safe even against human interdictors.

Brilliant! I can almost imagine the face on the pirate, watching me boosting right at him! :D
What do you mean by high-wake and low-wake?

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Low-wake means going back into supercruise, high-wake is jumping into another system. Low-wake is subject to mass-lock, check the MLF (mass lock factor) numbers on EDCD: Everything with the same or a higher mass-lock number will prevent you from going into low-wake, and the bigger the difference, the further away you need to be. Since a T6 is not that fast, this gives the attacker sufficient time to shoot you to bits.

On the build: A chaff launcher is a better option than a PD turret, but chaff only helps against missiles, gimballed weapons, and turreted weapons. Fixed weapons are immune to chaff. At that point, putting in a shield booster is the best use of the utility slot.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Cometborne wrote:Low-wake means going back into supercruise, high-wake is jumping into another system. Low-wake is subject to mass-lock, check the MLF (mass lock factor) numbers on EDCD: Everything with the same or a higher mass-lock number will prevent you from going into low-wake, and the bigger the difference, the further away you need to be. Since a T6 is not that fast, this gives the attacker sufficient time to shoot you to bits.

On the build: A chaff launcher is a better option than a PD turret, but chaff only helps against missiles, gimballed weapons, and turreted weapons. Fixed weapons are immune to chaff. At that point, putting in a shield booster is the best use of the utility slot.

Great info! Thanks.
Point taken on the Chaff Launcher and Shield Booster.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”