Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Am I crazy?

Postby Dudley » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:11 pm

*Al* wrote:Agree with Tor

Being a seasoned explorer.. *cough*

Having chewed off my own foot after a 10k ly trip...

^^^ what Al and Tor say..

o7 Dawg
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Postby Orochimaru » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Might be, but I have to try it, just to say it's boring because I know it's boring. Not saying you guys are wrong, just have to give it a try.

Also, you have Star Trek a series about exploration not Star Mining, a series about miners discussing minerals, stones and drill bits. Mining is not sexy.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Careful, it'll go to his head :D

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby DarkMere » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:07 pm

I have only dipped my toe into exploring, not sure its for me, but I will try it again in the future. A friend of mine who I do not see very often theses days due to life and distance, I discovered that he plays ED and has been one of the top explorers in ED, with all kinds of distance records etc. So clearly for some people its prefect. Hence the saying, 'Horses for courses'.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:11 pm

RD-83 wrote:

Careful, it'll go to his head :D

To boldly go .... Where no Thargoid has gone before!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:34 pm

DarkMere wrote:I have only dipped my toe into exploring, not sure its for me, but I will try it again in the future. A friend of mine who I do not see very often theses days due to life and distance, I discovered that he plays ED and has been one of the top explorers in ED, with all kinds of distance records etc. So clearly for some people its prefect. Hence the saying, 'Horses for courses'.

My main problem with exploration isn't necessary how boring it can get.
And vr certainly doesn't hurt, I just made the trek to colonia for no real reason.
And racing my buggy across a 2g ice moon 10k ly from anything does bring a special feeling.

Problem is you can't switch activity.
10kly away is 10kly away, even with good range that's by my estimate at least 4-5 hours of nonstop jumping to get to your vulture if you feel like switching to combat.

And the trip out to colonial only cashed in about 10mil in exploration data, and that's with first discovered on a couple of neutrons and earth likes.
Took me at least twelve hours of gameplay to get there. And honestly it's not hard even to make 10 mil per hour doing any other activity, well at least if you have your big three.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Pam Demonium
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Pam Demonium

Postby Pam Demonium » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:45 am

Orochimaru wrote:The ASP Explorer is on my go to list. I do not fancy mining, but will do exploration with it.

I use the AspX as a miner, and a DBX for exploration. I flew both to Colonia, The DBX was better for my style of exploration gathering.
The difference is the DBX is a surgeon's scalpel, and the AspX is a battle ax.

TorTorden wrote:That's funny.
You won't do mining but exploration.
Mining is ten times as action filled and thirty times as profitable.

I only do exploration because Im nosy, and like to look around. The 2 trips to Colonia got about 100 mil. It took two weekends.
In two weekends I could mine way over 100 mil, and despite what some think. It is NOT boring.

Now with 7 collectors instead of 4, I cant even stop to go to the loo, without losing money. I like it when pirates come by and shoot at me. I just dump mines out until they go boom, then right back to making pebbles. I mine a sector when the price is high, and either go to another mining local, or go explore for a bit.

Orochimaru wrote: you have Star Trek a series about exploration not Star Mining, a series about miners discussing minerals, stones and drill bits. Mining is not sexy.

I see you have never played Federation & Empire. Where your job as a star ship captain is to keep the trade lanes open, so the raw materials from miners can be flown to the core, and made into spare parts for your ship, beans, band-aids, and bullets too.

No it is not sexy, but its a fun, easy way to make creds. If I want sexy, Ill hire an Orion Slave Girl.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:06 am

Pam Demonium wrote:
Orochimaru wrote:The ASP Explorer is on my go to list. I do not fancy mining, but will do exploration with it.

I use the AspX as a miner, and a DBX for exploration. I flew both to Colonia, The DBX was better for my style of exploration gathering.
The difference is the DBX is a surgeon's scalpel, and the AspX is a battle ax.

TorTorden wrote:That's funny.
You won't do mining but exploration.
Mining is ten times as action filled and thirty times as profitable.

I only do exploration because Im nosy, and like to look around. The 2 trips to Colonia got about 100 mil. It took two weekends.
In two weekends I could mine way over 100 mil, and despite what some think. It is NOT boring.

Now with 7 collectors instead of 4, I cant even stop to go to the loo, without losing money. I like it when pirates come by and shoot at me. I just dump mines out until they go boom, then right back to making pebbles. I mine a sector when the price is high, and either go to another mining local, or go explore for a bit.

Orochimaru wrote: you have Star Trek a series about exploration not Star Mining, a series about miners discussing minerals, stones and drill bits. Mining is not sexy.

I see you have never played Federation & Empire. Where your job as a star ship captain is to keep the trade lanes open, so the raw materials from miners can be flown to the core, and made into spare parts for your ship, beans, band-aids, and bullets too.

No it is not sexy, but its a fun, easy way to make creds. If I want sexy, Ill hire an Orion Slave Girl.

Ok, ok. You got my attention.
I will give mining a try. Can you share some n00b guide to mining?
Thanks in advance
o7

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am

This is probably the most comprehensive guide
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.redd ... _guide_20/

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am

I would see myself trying something like this for t6.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/type_6_ ... A%3D%3D%3D

But I might actually take a second look at the keelback as well.
Basically what you want are mining lasers, refinery, a prospectors limpet controller, and as many collector limpets you can get without sacrificing too much cargo.

Then it's a matter of finding pristine metallic rings for the good stuff.
Here's a site that does it for you.

http://edtools.ddns.net/

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”