Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

burst, beam or pulse? ... and KWS

Postby Orochimaru » Thu May 11, 2017 6:28 am

Hello CMDRs

I have been doing some Bounty Hunting in RES and NAV points to get combat experience, so I am trying several weapon types and configurations.

Regarding lasers, do you go burst, beam or pulse?
(Beam is great but it drains power very quickly.)

Lastly, I like to use the Kill Warrant Scanner in the same weapon group as the lasers, getting the warrant info while firing.
Do any of you guys do the same?

Thanks in advance CMDRs

o7
Orochimaruh out!
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

X3N0D3ATH
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: X3N0D3ATH

Re: burst, beam or pulse? ... and KWS

Postby X3N0D3ATH » Thu May 11, 2017 6:43 am

I personally use the kws in a secondary group with it on secondary fire and my sheild cell bank and heatsink on primary (i like to refer to it as the oh sh*t button) this way I get the scan done then I'm free to engage. On almost every res site bh ship I've used its been turreted bursts and gimballed multis (separate fire buttons), rarely have to deal with overheating (big beam laser issue) and feel like i get decent hull damage (problem with pulses i feel). My conda literally has one gun i control directly, everything else is free to shoot whatever it wants.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church

Postby Sevin Church » Thu May 11, 2017 7:49 am

For my Vette I had all beams, but it took forever to kill anything close to my size. Even FAS kills were a pain. I have my distributor upgraded and efficient mods on the beams. Now I use mostly beams with the 2 huge replaced with upgraded multi cannons. I use to run straight burst on those with the multi's till I upgraded the capacitor.

For my FDL I had pulse lasers with 2 multi cannons, nothing was upgraded before I sold it though.

As for the KWS, I use it in a second fire group as my secondary trigger while using my beams on my primary. Once the scan is done I just hit a button and swap it back to the beam/multi setup, or whatever setup I might be using on a different craft. This way I don't have to keep it off my bow while the enemy is trying to dodge my fire.

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Lanceor » Thu May 11, 2017 7:51 am

Without engineering...

• Beam lasers give the best burst DPS, but run out of puff very quickly. They're good for taking down small ships quickly, or on ships with lots of distributor capacity.
  • Pulse lasers have the lowest distributor draw giving you better sustained DPS.
  • Burst lasers are the weird middle child. They supposedly have the best damage per energy, but I can't think of any builds where that'd be more useful than beams or pulses.
The best bet is to keep trying different combinations until you find something you like. You don't lose any money selling used components, so swap them around to your heart's content!

With engineering, I usually only use beams. They can be made to fire indefinitely, and have better DPS than overcharged or rapid-fire pulse or burst lasers. However, on a ship that has a weak distributor or powerplant or is overloaded with lasers, burst or pulse may be a better option.

As for the KWS, I prefer it on a second trigger in case the target dies before I've fully scanned it, or I have to stop firing for whatever reason.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 am

Lanceor wrote:Without engineering...

• Beam lasers give the best burst DPS, but run out of puff very quickly. They're good for taking down small ships quickly, or on ships with lots of distributor capacity.
  • Pulse lasers have the lowest distributor draw giving you better sustained DPS.
  • Burst lasers are the weird middle child. They supposedly have the best damage per energy, but I can't think of any builds where that'd be more useful than beams or pulses.
The best bet is to keep trying different combinations until you find something you like. You don't lose any money selling used components, so swap them around to your heart's content!

With engineering, I usually only use beams. They can be made to fire indefinitely, and have better DPS than overcharged or rapid-fire pulse or burst lasers. However, on a ship that has a weak distributor or powerplant or is overloaded with lasers, burst or pulse may be a better option.

As for the KWS, I prefer it on a second trigger in case the target dies before I've fully scanned it, or I have to stop firing for whatever reason.

Thank you CMDR. o7

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 am

Sevin Church wrote:For my Vette I had all beams, but it took forever to kill anything close to my size. Even FAS kills were a pain. I have my distributor upgraded and efficient mods on the beams. Now I use mostly beams with the 2 huge replaced with upgraded multi cannons. I use to run straight burst on those with the multi's till I upgraded the capacitor.

For my FDL I had pulse lasers with 2 multi cannons, nothing was upgraded before I sold it though.

As for the KWS, I use it in a second fire group as my secondary trigger while using my beams on my primary. Once the scan is done I just hit a button and swap it back to the beam/multi setup, or whatever setup I might be using on a different craft. This way I don't have to keep it off my bow while the enemy is trying to dodge my fire.

Thank you CMDR. o7

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 am

Lanceor wrote:Without engineering...

I completely agree. ^^^^

If you aren't doing engineering yet, pulses are your best bet for sustained DPS. If you have access to G5 engineering, efficient beams are amazing for shields, as long as you carry some m/c on board for hull destruction.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Thu May 11, 2017 7:50 pm

I generally just go for a combination of pulse and multicannons, beams need to be engineered, and bursts have just never lived up to their description.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Xebeth wrote:I generally just go for a combination of pulse and multicannons, beams need to be engineered, and bursts have just never lived up to their description.

Try rapid fire pulse lasers.

They are fun :D

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert

Postby Orochimaru » Sat May 13, 2017 4:46 am

Xebeth wrote:I generally just go for a combination of pulse and multicannons, beams need to be engineered, and bursts have just never lived up to their description.

I am using pulse and multicannons and with the right power plant and distributor, I get to fire non-stop. Nice!

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Return to “Gameplay and Features”