Community Support for the game and it's features
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Ed's 38 Moving in on Mobia

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:50 am

And vise versa, apparently. I assume this is the BGS doing this and it's not initiated by players?

Anyway, I've never played PP and haven't messed with the BGS in years, and I'm under the impression the BGS is still broken. But I'm out in Colonia and would like to help keep Mobia under MCRN control. I've really never payed attention to minor factions. I just trade, run missions, mine, explore, and bounty hunt - all for profit and not for the BGS. Sure, it's nice getting allied for better missions, but I'll get allied with all the minor factions (except pirates) and major powers. I just play clean and don't take murder missions.

So what can I do to help kick Ed's 38 out of Mobia?
Or, what can I do to help keep Mobia safe from Ed's 38?

On a related note, the MCRN is apparently expanding into Ed's 38.
I'm not sure I really want to support this, but if I do, what can I do?

Thanks.

PS. I tried looking this up, but there is so much information, most of it outdated.
I really wish FD would keep an up-to-date player's guide explaining all this crap.
(Btw, if they do have one, I'm not aware of it after 2 1/2 years :roll: )
It's time to give this another go.

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Ed's 38 Moving in on Mobia

Postby Tifu » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 am

(Updated) Turlorn's Working the BGS Guide

(Original) Turlorn's Working the BGS Guide

Above is a well written guide on how to do it. Depending on the system status, there is an optimal approach.

Try talking to the player faction first to find out what their intentions are

https://eddb.io/faction/75256

http://imgur.com/r/EliteDangerous/Ut6EQ2T

Judging from their logo, they don't strike me as warlike at all. Talk first, shoot later would be my recommendation :)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks, Tifu. :)

Let's see. The MCRN and Ed's 38 are two new factions in the area and have new outposts. They both have more than 75% influence, so that triggers expansion automatically and they start expanding into each others systems. Anything you do in your own system supports your expansion into the neighboring system. I didn't see anything specifically about how to stop other factions from expanding into your system (other than CZs during a war), though I assume murdering their traders (clean or wanted) in your system would do that.

So it appears that the BGS won't allow factions to live live in peace near each other and have >75% influence in their own system at the same time? So if you don't want to mess with other player factions in neighboring systems, you need to support other minor factions in your own system to bring down the influence of the controlling faction, and then try to keep things balanced?

This seems stupid and broken. Am I missing something? :roll:

This is why I haven't messed with PP or the BGS and why I'll probably continue to ignore it.

atraangelis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Caylus Harken

Postby atraangelis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Hey RWJR,
Freind Me, CMDR Caylus Harken, im out in Mobia and will help if you want to do wing trade or Haz Missions to try and offset the BGS.
I Managed to get my Cobra transfered out to Colonia, should be there by Sunday.

bailablestone12
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: bailablestone12

Postby bailablestone12 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:02 pm

atraangelis wrote:Hey RWJR,
Freind Me, CMDR Caylus Harken, im out in Mobia and will help if you want to do wing trade or Haz Missions to try and offset the BGS.

I am in Colonia too and looking for friends to do trading or bounty hunting, even mining or combat zones. If both of you want to add me as a friend CMDR Bailablestone12. I play in the Mobius PVE group ( US) everyday from 9PM to 12PM ( or a little bit more on weekends) (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada).

Hope to see you there.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 pm

The BGS is working the way it always has. Colonia is different because there are so many player groups rubbing up against each other - nobody would have noticed any problem if only NPC factions had been involved.

This is the second time Ed's 38 has been in Mobia. The last time it was in residence it did nothing and eventually its influence levels dropped so low they were forced to leave. To call this faction "laid back" doesn't do them justice. Their home influence level was so high they expanded again - back into Mobia.

Nearly all the new factions have raised their influence levels to the point where they are in constant None - Boom - Expansion cycle; eventually all systems will (in theory) have seven factions and no-one will be able to expand further. This is "in theory" because there are various traps. If two factions of different type match influence levels they will automatically go to war with no way to interrupt the process. Unfortunately, this is exactly what has happened to MCRN when it entered another system yesterday and immediately matched influence with a faction of a different type. In theory, yet again, all the factions in Colonia are sworn to peace and will never attack another faction "except in self defence" (a phrase that will turn out to be very elastic).

Attempting to govern a faction's influence level is difficult, so difficult that some new factions are begging FD to change the way the BGS works so it is easier for them to carry out their dastardly plans. The usual way to manage a faction is to try to ensure that influences are matched so that a Civil war, War or Election can be started in order to gain assets. Doing the opposite - manipulating your influence level to avoid conflict - is going to get more and more difficult as factions match influences accidentally.

Its bad enough trying to manage a faction when you have a team of willing volunteers all working towards the same ends by taking specific missions and undertaking certain trades. But all your plans can be thrown in to disarray by independent pilots who land in a system and just cherry-pick the best offers to make a quick buck (never mind all those devious pilots who fly in various Player Groups and don't show their working - the blaggards) and who upset the influence tables. No names, no pack drill, but if the cap fits . . .

It's fascinating to watch.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Walter wrote:... In theory, yet again, all the factions in Colonia are sworn to peace and will never attack another faction "except in self defence" ...

Hi Walter.

You say "yet again", but I don't recall reading that anywhere. Has anyone told the SDC faction this and have they sworn it? Who swore it for "us"? This shadow government I'm hearing about that apparently hangs out in hidden forums or behind blocked facebook sites? Or is there some MCRN specific website and I missed the announcement?

Regardless, I suppose if everyone just supports their own factions in their own systems, then things will generally stay the same between neighboring systems.

Just curious, when we finally get missions, will there be ones like "go kill a bunch of Ed's 38 traders" and such? I take it we should avoid those. :roll:

I've been waiting to join the Mobius Colonia Private Group, but that isn't possible yet. So I guess I'll need to rejoin Mobius PVE if I hope to see any other players in the meantime. I'll do that when I get home.

***edit***
I guess I do remember some links to CCN sites buried on the main forums. But unless you've been reading and keeping up from the beginning, there is just too much information to sort through for a casual gamer.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:You say "yet again", but I don't recall reading that anywhere. Has anyone told the SDC faction this and have they sworn it? Who swore it for "us"? This shadow government I'm hearing about that apparently hangs out in hidden forums or behind blocked facebook sites? Or is there some MCRN specific website and I missed the announcement?

That's where the theory comes in.

atraangelis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Caylus Harken

Postby atraangelis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 pm

bailablestone12 wrote:
atraangelis wrote:Hey RWJR,

I am in Colonia too and looking for friends to do trading or bounty hunting, even mining or combat zones. If both of you want to add me as a friend CMDR Bailablestone12. I play in the Mobius PVE group ( US) everyday from 9PM to 12PM ( or a little bit more on weekends) (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada).

Hope to see you there.

You got it.. !

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Mobia?

Postby thebs » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:03 pm

For various reasons, I haven't been playing since I did the 1st round of the Colonia expansion. I made my run of guides, and then looked around, before shutting down the past 6-7 weeks.

I saw we (MCRN) were one of the top 5 for the 2nd round. So I've been meaning to check it all out. Anyone want to bring me up to speed? I know there's now a 4th run going on. Just curious what's been up.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Gameplay and Features”