this might be a stupid question but.....

Community Support for the game and it's features
MetabeeKBT
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MetabeeKBT
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

this might be a stupid question but.....

Postby MetabeeKBT » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:50 pm

CMDR MetabeeKBT of the White Knight here,

I have been looking at the galaxy map and i see that im pretty far in the outer rim of our galaxy, looking into the center im seeing alot of systems close together.....almost on top of each other.
Now i understand that it's a map and everything LOOKS closer together on a map but being way out here in the bottom right hand corner of the galaxy a lot of missions want me to go places that are too far to plot a course to.....seeing this mass of systems in the middle my question is this.
How the hell do i get over there?
This isn't "Mass Effect" i can't just go to the closest jump gate and be there in a few hours (game time).
How am i meant to travel to the center of the galaxy if i want to?
This isn't "No Man's Sky" where i can just ask and alien for directions to the center and get pointed in the direction of it.
Really hope there is some way to get out there other than having to jump about 100 trillion time.
Thanks for the help.

Ut quisque est sua!
~end transmission~

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Re: this might be a stupid question but.....

Postby AndyB » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 pm

you get there 999.99ly at a time (approx) as that's as far as the route plotter will work, no shortcuts, sorry
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

MetabeeKBT
Harmless
Harmless

Postby MetabeeKBT » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:06 pm

AndyB wrote:you get there 999.99ly at a time (approx) as that's as far as the route plotter will work, no shortcuts, sorry

i don't even think my warp drive is that strong to travel 999.99LY's YET.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Our solar system is that far out for real, 99.9% of everyone is probably right here with you.
In game human space is just occupying a few hundred light years around Sol, that's it (I'm not going into Colonia).
If you go outside the bubble there's nothing but space and odd rocks in between.
No stations, no missions, no trading, no pirates to kill, in short a whole lot of nothing.

The reason you can't make all plots is simple, you need a better FSD.
The starting FSD is just that, just enough to get you started.

Make sure you can plot and take a missions BEFORE accepting, for instance if you have a basic jump range of 7ly and you happen to want to go to a system that has no systems closer to it than 8ly, well you can't go.
As a rule of thumb, you would want a jump range of about 14-15 ly to be able to go pretty much anywhere inside the bubble of human space, but many ships can jump much further, but those huge jump ranges can wait further down the line, cause you'r going to want some money in the bank before you can consider those ships and mods.
Take for instance the cobra mk3, the ship it self costs a mere 350k, but the A class FSD is about 1.5 million.

Also as you can only plot a route of waypoints for more than <1000, for computational reasons, and be wary of the dotted plot line, this means you will run out of fuel at that point and must have refuelled, either at a station or with a fuel scoop.
Last edited by TorTorden on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 pm

MetabeeKBT wrote:
AndyB wrote:you get there 999.99ly at a time (approx) as that's as far as the route plotter will work, no shortcuts, sorry

i don't even think my warp drive is that strong to travel 999.99LY's YET.

one jump at a time it is, i've taken ships with a 14 ly jump range to Colonia, 22k ly from Sol
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 pm

TorTorden wrote:Our solar system is that far out for real, 99.9% of everyone is probably right here with you.
In game human space is just occupying a few hundred light years around Sol, that's it (I'm not going into Colonia).
If you go outside the bubble there's nothing but space and odd rocks in between.
No stations, no missions, no trading, no pirates to kill, in short a whole lot of nothing.

Basically this, everyone (with the exception of Colonia) lives in a "bubble" of systems approximately 1000ly or so in diameter centered more or less around Sol.

Outside of this (as Tor says) is just space, and the only reason to go there is for exploration (which is a perfectly good reason if that is your type of thing).

The distance you can travel per hyperspace jump is limited by your FSD (Grade A will give the furthest range, E the shortest, and a Size 4 gives a greater range than a Size 3, etc, etc...), your ship is also a factor, so a 4A in a Cobra III gives a greater jump distance than a 4A in a Vulture because the Vulture is heavier. One of the first modules to upgrade is always your FSD.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

MetabeeKBT
Harmless
Harmless

Postby MetabeeKBT » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:52 am

soooo what i keep hearing is that NO ONE has ever been to the systems in the center of the galaxy? not even the galactic governments?

so there would be no space ports, docks or command posts to fuel up at?

is that what everyone is saying?

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:00 am

Lot's of guys have been to Sag A* and beyond. But no, there are no stations or governments out there. Just lots of big beautiful systems to explore. :D If you have a ship with reasonable jump range and a fuel scoop, you can go anywhere you want to.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “Gameplay and Features”