How to calculate opposing planetary coords?

Community Support for the game and it's features
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: How to calculate opposing planetary coords?

Postby smartroad » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:08 pm

You should add that into the SSC lol
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 pm

I'm just curious why that tool gives a heading. If you're flying to the exact opposite side of the planet, then wouldn't any heading get you there in the same time & distance?

Also, what's the value in knowing this, other than for some cryptic reasons? I can see value in a heading calculator between starting and ending coordinates, but that apparently already exists. Of course, if you're just going between known settlements, or just to a known settlement, can't you just select it on the nav panel and use the compass?

What I'd really like is for FD to allow you to enter coordinates into your nav computer and then use the compass to direct you to that location on a planet. That would have been very useful during the DWE meetups.
It's time to give this another go.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:21 pm

My tool doesn't give the heading to the other side of the planet but to the coordinates you enter. As to why write it - why not? It would be nice if it was part of E: D for sure but then the same could be said for so many of the helper apps.

As to adding it into SSC, I thought about it but when there was a previous chance to extend the functionality of SSC the feedback was to avoid turning the app into a 'swiss-army' app, which I agree with. I might have it as a section visible through commandline option. :)
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”