How does one differentiate players from npcs?

Community Support for the game and it's features
Breathe42
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Breathe42
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: How does one differentiate players from npcs?

Postby Breathe42 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 pm

"Shoot first; ask later"
Classic.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:38 pm

I seem to remember a problem when things (NPCs, commanders, canisters, fragments, etc) were far away. I usually have cheap sensors so I don't know if that makes the problem worse.

Anyway, this is what would happen. I'd be in a RES searching for pirates. I'd see some unresolved contacts (flashing solids) and head in that direction. Eventually they would resolve (stop flashing). I never used to pay much attention to the name, but would just look at the rank, ship type, and to see if they were wanted. Then as I'd get closer I'd glance at my scanner and suddenly one of those ships would be hollow. I don't remember ever accidentally taking a shot at a commander, but I have accidentally started shooting a ship that I thought an NPC was attacking before I noticed that it was actually a commander attacking that ship.

I've also seen the reverse. If I flew into an area with a commander and he didn't want to wing up, I'd fly away. And then sometimes I'd glance at the scanner and the hollow blip would have changed to solid before it started flashing (I assume it was the commander and not another NPC). It's been ages, so I'm not sure if that still happens.

Be aware that some NPCs have a name like COMMANDER JACKASS, but only real people will have the CMDR prefix. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Arithon
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Arithon

Postby Arithon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:44 pm

I posted about reading the radar on my blog (http://www.elite-dangerous-blog.co.uk/B ... m-stations).

The human players are hollow, while NPCs are solid.

Quick key is here:

Watch for those pointy hard-points! If they are going behind you, there's going to be laser fire!

Breathe42
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Breathe42

Postby Breathe42 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:12 pm

That helps a lot, thanks. Still gotta learn how to properly read the radar. Gonna check out that blog, thanks for linking!

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Yes learn to read the radar.....

I still rely on that a lot in combat...Even though I have head tracking.....

Once learnt it becomes second nature to know where a ship is.....

I was lucky I played the original (84) to death so it was already second nature.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:42 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I seem to remember a problem when things (NPCs, commanders, canisters, fragments, etc) were far away. I usually have cheap sensors so I don't know if that makes the problem worse.

Yes, it does. The flickering occurs when the target is just outside the accurate range of your sensors. A-rated sensors give you the best range.

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:32 pm

:( Errr.. I once went in to a CZ and shot Xebeth (mistakenly, of course :roll: ) and the entire CZ went red and chased everyone out.. ahem!! :oops:

Have FD sorted the friendly fire thing out now, where if you clipped someone mistakenly - you got your ass handed to you..? :?:
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:17 pm

I think it takes more than one or two shots to be counted as a hostile act. I've grazed people's shields without any ill effect many times.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:22 am

It should also be noted, if you have "Report Crimes Against Me" Turned on and someone shoots you accidentally in a RES, they will get Boinged for the crime. If it is turned off, the threshold is higher before other ships will respond.

Also, even with Report Crimes Against Me Turned On, if you are in a wing, it provides you a Protection against dinging another ship.

The A-Team has discovered, that in the heat of battle that you can (accidentally of course) shoot a wingmates ship alot and not trigger the fine or a security response from police ships. When you are in a wing and are interdicted by a wing of Elites, the fire is heavy on both sides. The fact that as we close in on a target, a wingmate getting hit is more than possible, it is likely. Without this mechanic, we would have faced heavy fines and a swift response from the police.

In our "Experiments" that we have done "for Valid Scientific Research", we have discovered that the amount of damage against a wingmate that will cause a fine/bounty/security response is nullified to the point just short of destruction. We have also discovered in our "Experiments" that we have done "for Valid Scientific Research" that even if you do massive damage to a wingmate and he is then destroyed quickly afterwards by means that are not part of the "Experiments" that we have done "for Valid Scientific Research" will not in fact, cause the death of said commander to be associated to a wingmate. This would be the equivalent of hitting an NPC with enough weapons fire to garner a fine, and then the NPC is subsequently destroyed by another ship and you receiving a bounty for the death.

* Please Note: All "Experiments" were done in a controlled environment with professional stunt pilots on a closed course, to ensure "Valid Scientific Research" results. No pilots or animals were harmed in the "Experiments". Please do not attempt these "Experiments for Valid Scientific Research" at home. Please Drink Responsibly and Fly Safe Commanders.

:P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:33 am

Oh and the difference between A rated sensors and D rated is like 450m, maybe 600m.

If a target is running really hot though he will show up from like 8km regardless.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”