And Another Silly Question...

Community Support for the game and it's features
Myrm

And Another Silly Question...

Postby Myrm » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:47 am

KK, silly question time.

Is your jump range between systems affected by how much fuel you have? For example, because I have less weight if I have half a tank of gas over a full tank, will I be able to jump further? If so, does it make sense to not have over, say, half a tank of fuel at any one time, specially if you are in sparse regions of the galaxy?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: And Another Silly Question...

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:55 am

Myrm wrote:KK, silly question time.

Is your jump range between systems affected by how much fuel you have? For example, because I have less weight if I have half a tank of gas over a full tank, will I be able to jump further?

In a word, yes.

Myrm wrote: If so, does it make sense to not have over, say, half a tank of fuel at any one time, specially if you are in sparse regions of the galaxy?

Depends how brave you feel, you'll jump further yes, but if you hit a patch of space with no scoopable stars then you could get stuck or have to turn back to the last scoopable one.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Cometborne » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:18 am

As Xebeth already explained, your ship mass including fuel and for that matter cargo affects your actual jump range. You can see the effects for yourself in the route plotter view of the galaxy map, there is a slider on the lower left where you can simulate having X tons of cargo on board.

However, not having a full tank in a sparse region of the galaxy is right there on the border between "nerves made of steel" and "brain made of cheese". Using FSD injection is the better choice if you need just that extra bit of range once. But always remember that you eventually need to travel back, so do not use more than half your supply, or prepared for a long stay out there prospecting for the materials.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:40 am

This is actually what the FSD juice does.
It fiddles with the fuel efficiency of your FSD, so it can take less fuel to go x ly.

Since the max possible use of fuel pr jump is still what it is, it's main visible effect is an increase in ly for a jump, but you can use it for a shorter jump with that would then now just need 75% of it's normal fuel requirement (for a rank 1 boost).

Could be life saving if you are out there and totally dry but manage to spot a scoopable star just out of reach.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:40 am

There are those that fit a smaller tank to their exploration vessels just to get a little more distance out of it, although you can get the same by short-filling, so I don't see the point myself.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:32 pm

TorTorden wrote:This is actually what the FSD juice does.
It fiddles with the fuel efficiency of your FSD, so it can take less fuel to go x ly.

And the question is: Why isn't the addition of two "common elements" to the fuel the standard formula?

Not a silly question, just a silly hoop they make us jump through.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Walter wrote:
TorTorden wrote:This is actually what the FSD juice does.

And the question is: Why isn't the addition of two "common elements" to the fuel the standard formula?

Not a silly question, just a silly hoop they make us jump through.

Now that is a very good question..

In my mind it's something like nitrous injection for your car.
Yea it will make it go faster but will probably shred your engine, but this being "game" and all, I guess we don't see that part.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”