Community Support for the game and it's features
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Federal Dropship (Going Full Retard)

Postby thebs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:03 am

Extremely Casual Player and New Mobius CMDR Here ... about 100-150 hours now since mid last year.

So ... after many months of swearing I'd go directly from Vultures to a Python for an "all-in-one," I finally popped for a ...
--> [Original Config (50M)] --> [Updated Config (50M)] Federal Dropship for RES mining+combat

I'll talk about why I did this later, but for now, I've got some questions now that I've gone, literally ...
"fully hardpoint/maneuvering retarded", in combat, coming from a Vulture.

Q1 (of Turrets): I put 2E/T Beam Lasers on the sides. Aren't they supposed to auto-fire? Or do I still have to assign them a button and press it? Did this change in a version of Elite. I.e., I don't think I've tried turrets since 1.3, but I thought they auto-fired on any targetted enemy? Figured it out. Have to assign to a grouping and button, but they'll fire without the button being pressed.
    Q2 (of Targeting): I'm reading a lot about targeting Power Plants and other subsystems. I've been lazy in the past and just didn't bother, but now I cannot be with the Dropship. I should probably try to bear that 3C/G Beam and/or 2F/G Multi on some subsystems once the shields go down. Suggestions? Tips?
    Q3 (of Thrusters): Having only 50M, I need another 20M to upgrade the 6B Power to 6A, so I can get away from the awful 6D Thusters to 6A. Should I try to reduce my power consumption and costs elsewhere to get a better set of Thrusters, like 6C or even 6B, now? Stepped up 2 to 6B Thrusters, saving money by dropping 1 to 4B Refinery (9 bin), along with dropping 3 down to an 0D Shield Booster to save a bit more power. 6B Thrusters add significant maneuverability over 6D.

So now ... why did I do this?
I'll start where I came from ...

I went Sidewinder (short-lived) -> Hauler -> Cobra -> Asp Explorer (not too long) -> Vulture
    I skipped the Adder
    After 2-3M, I tried, and hated, a Type 6, and was nearly destroyed 20 different times, and went back to the Cobra
    At 7M or so, I tried an Asp Explorer, c/o Alioth permit/discount, did some trade runs to 20M, then started mining
    Eventually I got enough for 2 Vultures, 1 combat (where I could take down a Python), 1 mining, so I wasn't changing equipment, but it was still a pain to come back to the station where it was stored, and switch

Again, I previously swore I'd wait for a Python. Even if I get 10+ of those "Resources Needed" (Osium, Platinum, etc...) missions where they pay 70-90K for a resource, it's still taking awhile to make money. And I wanted to change. So I went to a 96 cargo, 10 bins and 2 collector setup with the Federal Dropship. I want to get to 100M before I buy a Python, so I'm in for at least another 50M I figure.

So ... any suggestions?
    Comments are welcome too.

After all, "I actually feel ... retarded" ... literally, retarded from effective combat, even in PvE.
But I wanted a challenge, and I got one. ;)
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Re: Federal Dropship (Going Full Retard)

Postby Phillipus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:08 am

Re: targeting - if you're shooting medium to large NPCs always target the power plant (I don't bother on sideys, adders, eagles, cobras, etc). Especially when you're going for a Conda. A few hits to the power plant on one of those can totally disable it even when it's still got 50-60% hull.

Re: turrets - personally I wouldn't bother with them. Their fire power is always weaker than the equivalent gimballed or fixed weapon.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Phillipus wrote:Re: targeting - if you're shooting medium to large NPCs always target the power plant (I don't bother on sideys, adders, eagles, cobras, etc). Especially when you're going for a Conda. A few hits to the power plant on one of those can totally disable it even when it's still got 50-60% hull.
Yeah, I f'd up recently, forgetting to fire off some Chaff. By the time I tried to hit my Shield Bank, they were down.

Although I got the 'Conda here, because it was already badly damaged in the hull (seemingly a battle that lasted 20+ minutes before I got there) -- after taking down his shields which were 50-60% by the time I reached him (I mined about 100K away for a bit) -- almost immediately after he got mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvshGHgLXpY

Although the 'Conda only got me down to 82%, and I got 2 of the smaller NPCs, I totally missed the fact that an Imperial Courier had the bead on me from behind. When I realized it was going to cost me to get on him, now nearing 50% hull, I decided to bug out instead of chancing it. Although I got away with 49% hull left.

Next time, when my big target has more hull, I'll be sure to target that Power Plant early on. Thanx for the tip!

Still, I'm loving the FDS overall, at least now that I have 6B Thrusters. I'm almost tempted to drop to 32+32 (C5+C5) Cargo, instead of my current 64+32 (C6+C5), so I can get a Class 6 Shield instead of being limited to Class 5. But then again the FDS has such poor shield strength in the first place, another ~30 or so might not make much difference.

Phillipus wrote:Re: turrets - personally I wouldn't bother with them. Their fire power is always weaker than the equivalent gimballed or fixed weapon.
Actually, I'm loving those 2E/T Beam Lasers on the sides, now that I have them in the right groupings/assignments, always pecking at those shields, if not hull after they're down.

I still use a 3C/G Beam, and not a Turret, along with the 2F/G Multi. I wish I had two (2) of the latter, but I wanted an all-in-one, so there's a C2 Mining Laser in place of a second 2F/G Multi option.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Thu May 05, 2016 11:58 pm

The Dropship is actually a pretty good combat ship. I was in love with it, even denying the FAS (at least until I gave it a try).

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri May 06, 2016 5:51 am

Nethaufer wrote:The Dropship is actually a pretty good combat ship. I was in love with it, even denying the FAS (at least until I gave it a try).
I'm in a Python now (Related Thread).

But there are 2 things I miss about the FDS ...
    That armor and toughness, lasts longer and modules don't dork up sooner
    The shorter length, the Python is pretty long (and the cargo scoop is farther back)

Te drastically improved shielding, components, extra hardpoint (and bigger too) and decent manuverability in the Python will keep me from going back. But those long, endless slides in the FDS were fun while they lasted!

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Fri May 06, 2016 1:15 pm

thebs wrote:
Nethaufer wrote:The Dropship is actually a pretty good combat ship. I was in love with it, even denying the FAS (at least until I gave it a try).
I'm in a Python now (Related Thread).

But there are 2 things I miss about the FDS ...
    That armor and toughness, lasts longer and modules don't dork up sooner
    The shorter length, the Python is pretty long (and the cargo scoop is farther back)

Te drastically improved shielding, components, extra hardpoint (and bigger too) and decent manuverability in the Python will keep me from going back. But those long, endless slides in the FDS were fun while they lasted!

Haha, ah yes, those slides. The FDS was Tokyo Drift the ship. I'd suggest giving the FAS a try too some time. It's pretty damn maneuverable. Also, while I never had much problem with module damage in the FDS, and by extension the FAS, but one thing I hate is how they put the damn Power Distributor right on the front part of the ship. It's not much of a problem on the FDS, but on the FAS it is, because you can keep your nose pointed at them almost all the time, which means your power distrib takes a beating when your shields are down and your hull is doing its job.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”