Community Support for the game and it's features
Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Colin The Grey
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Some advice on Turrets please

Postby Colin The Grey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:34 pm

So got myself a corvette and trying out some turreted weapons - slight problem - they just wont fire by themselves.

If I set to Fire At will - nothing - unless I manually fire them - which kind of defeats the point.

If set to Target Only they will fire on the target - but only if I manually trigger them - after that they will fire on the target themselves.

Same with forward fire.

I figure it must be me - so what am I doing wrong ...

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi

Re: Some advice on Turrets please

Postby Kiltrathi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:38 pm

It's been reported as a bug if I recall correctly. I run my ship's turrets set to "my target" and that only seems to work as soon as I tell them to start firing.

Bug Report

Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert

Postby Colin The Grey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Ahh thanks... I'm not going mad then - well no madder than usual lol

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Well I found out the hard way with turrets when I built a mining ship based on a Federal Drop Ship. All of my weapons were turrets and I set them to "target only" from the #4 panel all the way to the right under 'functions'. Now all seemed great and good until the 1st time I went out mining and tried to target a prospector drone....nothing. No target lock. I thought my joystick broke again or the game went upside down on me. I later discovered that in order for anything to work the ship had to have a weapon that targeted manually.

Ok having said that. With a turreted weapon you have to target manually with your gimballed or fixed weapons and as soon as that target enters the firing arc of your turrets will start to fire and keep firing until your break the lock yourself or the target it dead.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Colin The Grey wrote:So got myself a corvette and trying out some turreted weapons - slight problem - they just wont fire by themselves.

If I set to Fire At will - nothing - unless I manually fire them - which kind of defeats the point.

If set to Target Only they will fire on the target - but only if I manually trigger them - after that they will fire on the target themselves.

Same with forward fire.

I figure it must be me - so what am I doing wrong ...

Kiltrathi wrote:It's been reported as a bug if I recall correctly. I run my ship's turrets set to "my target" and that only seems to work as soon as I tell them to start firing.

Bug Report

Not sure when you last used turrets, but I am thinking that it is not a bug. From Dev Update - 14.05.2015

"Control: To help give players more control over when their turrets are firing, they now interact with fire groups. Turrets not in the currently active fire group will not track targets or attack (it doesn’t matter if they’re set to primary or secondary bindings). In addition, the Target Only mode is changing:

- When set to Target Only, turrets in the active fire group will track the target as before, but will not fire.
- Target Only weapons can be manually fired. When the player attempts to fire the weapon while it is tracking, the gun will start firing and will ‘latch’ on until you lose sensor contact with that target, switch fire groups or otherwise disable the weapon. Moving out of range or fire arc does not break the latch.

This means Target Only mode can now be used to initiate fights and attack illegal targets, but the pilot bears all responsibility for any crimes!

Turrets set to Fire At Will are no longer able to accidentally commit assault crimes. They will check if their target is legal before firing (or that it’s someone you’ve already assaulted) and do not fire at a target that would be a new crime, any ships hit accidentally by stray shots will not punish you for the hit."

Changes were further made to combat AFK credit grinding in RES sites. Fire At Will does not start combat for you and from what I remember will not engage targets at all unless you are actively in combat. IE when you have a target, have your turrets in your active fire group, and press fire once then your Fire At Will turrets should attack any hostile target according to their programmed logic.

Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert

Postby Colin The Grey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:40 pm

StaticRadion wrote:Not sure when you last used turrets, but I am thinking that it is not a bug. From Dev Update - 14.05.2015

Static, yup that's it - many thanks for posting that info :)

I now have my turrets in the same fire group as my main weapons and set to Fire at Will. The don't fire until I engage a vaild target - then they are quite happy to fire on their own at the target and any hostile wingmen they have. Which is how I expect them to behave - also pressing the trigger doesn't manually fire the turrets at all when they are in Fire at Will mode, just fires my main Pulse's while the turrets do their own thing :)

Working perfectly now.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:10 am

Colin The Grey wrote:Working perfectly now.

Glad to be of assistance.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:17 am

Hello,
When I used turrets, 2 C3T Bursts on my Python, I used to set them to Target only. And then I'd have to target and press the fire button for them to do anything. They would continue to fire even without me doing anything. I used to set them to Fire-At-Will in CZs when I'm being swarmed. They used to work fine.
But for some reason after 2.0 came out the turrets became less effective. I read on the main ED forums that this was due to Frontier introducing an error in the targeting system so that turrets would not always fire accurately. This then caused the problem where Commanders can't compensate for a turret's accuracy by maneuvering as the turret would always be off target slightly. Frontier are still trying to balance turrets and asked the community for any good suggestions on how to go about it.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JustSomeGuy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:08 am

I always thought that using turrets anywhere near authorities is the fastest way to criminal status because of their stray shots.
If I understood correctly, I only get in trouble if I have them in 'target only' mode and someone happens to get between me and my target and turret shoots. If the turret was in 'fire at will' mode in that same scenario, I will not get in trouble.
Never tried forward fire, I assume it just locks the weapon to work like fixed weapon, but only weaker in comparison.
If so, I need to rethink my 4 turrets in my Anaconda, been using them only in 'target only' mode to minimize risk of hitting wrong targets and getting myself wanted status.

Edit: About 'fire at will', I assume in that mode the turrets will not actively start shooting new targets on their own, but only those that already are in combat with me? For example if I am at haz-res and fighting a wing of 3, my turrets will only shoot these three which are in combat with me, and do not start shooting that elite Anaconda which just jumped into the res right next to me but ignores me and starts scanning someone else for cargo.
Also in this case I assume that any stray turret shots that happen to hit that Anaconda will make him a bit angry with me and I now fight against 4 ships.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:33 am

I've used at least some turrets on nearly every ship I've ever owned at one time or another. I tap the fire button once, and they do the rest.

It seems like they are working perfectly fine to me? I guess I'm confused at all of the confusion.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”