Community Support for the game and it's features
de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

FSD Boost (synthesis) questions

Postby de Carabas » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 am

While on my last trip to the Hub I stopped for variety and did some SRVing and collected some materials for synthesis. Over the course of the month I tried twice with the first level FSD range boost synthesis but I really didn't get it and could do with some help in the right way to use it.

My understanding was that the 'boost' to range given was applied to the fuel in your tank but as soon as you refuel (or scoop) you lose the benefit. Is this right?
I had hoped that I could use my tank-full to more effectively cover a bigger distance on my way to the hub but I found in the navigation that it would no longer plot multi-jump routes once the level 1 'boost' had been completed. This meant having to stop and select a destination on every jump. Which was so much of a faff that I didn't bother, especially as I tend to be scooping fuel when in the galaxy map to save time and that immediately negated the boost effect on that tank-full.

So, what was I doing wrong?
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Re: FSD Boost (synthesis) questions

Postby smartroad » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:45 am

The way I got FSD boost to work was to activate it using the synthisys panel, then select teh boost level in the galaxy map, then pick a system now in range and jump to it.

Not sure how much sense that makes LOL
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:54 am

From what I understand it is a Single Jump only. Lase is right, select it in the Synthesis panel, then plot the jump with the boost level selected.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:50 am

So you can jump further but it's one jump at a time only. How crap is that?
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Well, if you where expecting a permanent upgrade to your range than you are playing the wrong game.

It doesn't apply to fuel, but rather fuel consumption on the next jump, and only the next jump.
If your FSD has a 4 ton limit, plotting a 100% boost level in the map, activating a 25% boost you will get the familiar "jump exceeds maximum fuel injection" warning.

The reason the FSD boost setting exist in the map is simply to help you see what you can plot to if you do activate a given level of boost.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:02 pm

TorTorden wrote:Well, if you where expecting a permanent upgrade to your range than you are playing the wrong game.

Nope, not expecting a permanent change at all. Was just hoping that the benefit gained lasted for the whole tank-full, certainly not just the one jump. That means the reasons for using it are pretty much down to one, i.e. you are near the edge of the galaxy and there's a bigger gap between stars to cross than you could normally do. And, once you got there, you had better find some handy planets to explore or taken enough materials for another boost or you'll end up stuck.

The rest of the time it would take far longer to explore and gather the materials needed than it would take do the extra jumps needed :(

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:21 pm

de Carabas wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Well, if you where expecting a permanent upgrade to your range than you are playing the wrong game.

Nope, not expecting a permanent change at all. Was just hoping that the benefit gained lasted for the whole tank-full, certainly not just the one jump. That means the reasons for using it are pretty much down to one, i.e. you are near the edge of the galaxy and there's a bigger gap between stars to cross than you could normally do. And, once you got there, you had better find some handy planets to explore or taken enough materials for another boost or you'll end up stuck.

The rest of the time it would take far longer to explore and gather the materials needed than it would take do the extra jumps needed :(

Yup, cant really help but agree with you there :\

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:21 pm

de Carabas wrote:The rest of the time it would take far longer to explore and gather the materials needed than it would take do the extra jumps needed :(

I was never able to find the needed parts for a 100% boost at all. The problem for me is the way to find materials is to random. What I would like is the detailed surface scanner to identify the materials you are likely to find and approximately where you are likely to find them on the surface. You still have to detail scan the planet and drive about to find them, but at least it move away from dumb luck to educated guess!
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:31 pm

smartroad wrote:I was never able to find the needed parts for a 100% boost at all. The problem for me is the way to find materials is to random. What I would like is the detailed surface scanner to identify the materials you are likely to find and approximately where you are likely to find them on the surface. You still have to detail scan the planet and drive about to find them, but at least it move away from dumb luck to educated guess!

You obviously missed my post regarding two threads on the FD Forums where Commanders have gathered data on what type of planets have what type of resources.

It makes it easier when you know what type of planet had what you need especially when out of the bubble.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

incryptx
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Richard Daystrom

Postby incryptx » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:57 pm

In reading all these wonderful threads on FSD, I think the one thing left unsaid or undescribed, is that in plotting your route, and selecting one of the three range choices, i.e. economical, fastest, and FSD Boost, is that when you select between the three, the first two will give you a jagged point to point route, if you have a route plotted (which is why everyone is in this menu), but when selecting FSD Boost, your destination and route are not considered in the boost range displayed as straight lines from the planet or station you are on. Even if you plot a course, and then change it to FSD Boost and your route goes from some dotted points (not enough fuel) in the last bit of your plotted route, to being listed as having enough fuel for the distance (solid lines all the way there), your FSD Boost will not be in effect for more than the first jump. It may be confusing to some folks to plot a route, then select FSD Boost thinking it is being applied to your route, when it is not actually doing so. The FSD Boost selection seems to stand alone, and when properly selected and shown on the Galaxy Map, it will look like a porcupine, with hundreds of destinations, all on straight lines from WHERE YOU ARE NOW. You can select any of the points as a destination at the end of any line displayed once displayed correctly on the Galaxy Map. It has a one jump limit. If you then slide the FSD Boost from level to level, the straight lines away from your current location will increase by 25%, 50% and 100% and you will visually see this on the Galaxy Map. Of what use this is, if not for stellar navigation or exploration, it seems to be of little use for each. To get to a star system out of normal reach for the exploration of minerals is it's virtue right now, or if you want to fill up on elements used for FSD Boost, and go where no one has been before, and most likely never return.

I hope this helps to clarify using it somewhat.

Good luck.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”