Community Support for the game and it's features
Kay Ne
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Julii
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Cockpit color help!

Postby Kay Ne » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi... So after viewing JohnLuke's cockpit, I've decided I should change mine as well to give a little spice to the whole flying experience.
I went to this website: http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

I am trying to change everything to green, since the color's easier on my eyes. But only problem I'm having is which slider to use. Even though the website shows examples of how it would look, I'm still confused. I don't want everything to look green, so I could see who's hostile or not :roll:
I just want the overall interface to look green, but shield/targets...etc to remain the same. Anyone got any tips?

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs

Re: Cockpit color help!

Postby Mouse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:05 am

Take a look through this thread HUD Colors people post their own creations and help with them.. You may find one you like that is the right green for you.

Also in this thread Mobius Forums Hud Colors Flip has some good links as well
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

Kay Ne
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Julii

Postby Kay Ne » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:09 am

Oh sorry I missed that! Thanks!

Mouse
Master
Master

Postby Mouse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:23 am

Kay Ne wrote:Oh sorry I missed that! Thanks!

No need to be sorry at all ^,^ I just hope they help.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

HazCat
Novice
Novice
CMDR: HazCat

Postby HazCat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:46 am

Try using the following in your GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml file (do a search to find it; I think it gets installed in different places depending on Steam vs. direct install).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<GraphicsConfig>
<GUIColour>
<Default>
<LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
<MatrixRed> 0.02, 0.49, 0.02 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -0.23, -0.07, 0.42 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.83, 0.08, 0.37 </MatrixBlue>
</Default>
</GUIColour>
<GraphicsConfig />

This provides a nice bright green, with pink highlights (e.g., screens) and blue "friendly" stations and ships.

I'd love to figure out how to make the pink red, and the blue lighter - but this was as close as I could get to matching everything in my cockpit with my HOTAS and keyboard.
ScreenshotJPG.jpg
ScreenshotJPG.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

You might want to plug the numbers into the HUD color sites and tweak it until the contrast works for you.

Good luck!
Nullum bonum opus impunita :evil: “No good dead goes unpunished.”

Mouse
Master
Master

Postby Mouse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:00 am

HazCat wrote:Try using the following in your GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml file (do a search to find it; I think it gets installed in different places depending on Steam vs. direct install).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<GraphicsConfig>
<GUIColour>
<Default>
<LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
<MatrixRed> 0.02, 0.49, 0.02 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -0.23, -0.07, 0.42 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.83, 0.08, 0.37 </MatrixBlue>
</Default>
</GUIColour>
<GraphicsConfig />

This provides a nice bright green, with pink highlights (e.g., screens) and blue "friendly" stations and ships.

I'd love to figure out how to make the pink red, and the blue lighter - but this was as close as I could get to matching everything in my cockpit with my HOTAS and keyboard.
ScreenshotJPG.jpg

You might want to plug the numbers into the HUD color sites and tweak it until the contrast works for you.

Good luck!

Do you have a bigger picture?

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:13 am

I remember that thread on the main forums. I said orange then and I've stuck with it since. I really don't have much of a problem with it, other than it is a bit bright. I have my gamma and my hud slider on the darker side, but the orange glow is still there. Back when I was into cars, red was the high performance color for gauges, and it's also the best to preserve your night vision for star gazing, so I don't think it's strange that they selected orange. There is even some guy over there saying that blue will give you cancer. :P

Regardless, I don't know why Frontier can't let us select colors for all items individually - like every cad program on Earth. At least let us select the main hud color w/o affecting the reds and green and blues. Those setups where they flip the reds and greens or blue for red would really mess me up. It would also be nice if the hud could auto-darken when a sun is behind it.

But for now I my finally try to just get rid of the glowing orange with something a little less bright. Maybe something like this:

► Show Spoiler
It's time to give this another go.

Mouse
Master
Master

Postby Mouse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:36 am

that isn't bad at all.. and the color swapping didn't effect me as much as I thought it would. The Orange though really irked me. I could do with a muted red but I went with the neon set as it makes things easierly distinguishable for me.

IridiumSkies
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Torven

Postby IridiumSkies » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:02 am

Here's my green HUD with easy radar colours:

<MatrixRed> 0.5, 0, 0 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> -3, 2, 0.5 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0, 0, 3 </MatrixBlue>

► Show Spoiler

Red = hostile
Yellow = Neutral
Turquoise = Friendly
Light blue = Wakes & dropped cargo
Green = Other contacts (when targeting someone)

Also for some reason other CMDRs appear with a tiny red square inside the hollow box when you target someone else. Doesn't mean they're hostile or anything.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:25 pm

IridiumSkies wrote:Here's my green HUD with easy radar colours:

I like that. It's the best, imho of course, non-orange hud I've seen. I think I'll try it out. :)
It depends on what happens on the galmap and other screens. ;)
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”