Need some help on this.

Community Support for the game and it's features
Shelleen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Need some help on this.

Postby Shelleen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:15 am

When I jumped into LP 102-320 the system consisted of an unknown star and two space stations orbiting two unknown planets (which in itself is pretty stupid). Anyway I scanned all the new astronomical things I'd 'discovered' and they became named on the system map. I then went on a voyage of discovery in the system and found lots of new planets so the system map now looks like this:

and this

You can probably make out the two stations namely; Springer Port and Mitra Palace.

Now the thing is I keep getting missions on the BB from these two stations to haul or courier stuff to the station of Regiomontanus Point, in the same system, which doesn't exist as far as I can tell and, believe me, I have looked for it.

So I need someone to check their system map of LP 102-320 to see if there is a such a station that for some reason I can't see and to see if there are more planets that I have not discovered.

I'm not sure how this discovery thing is supposed to work. I had assumed (mistake right there!) that when an enterprising Cmdr first discovers something new and sells the data then it is available, at a price, to all other Cmdrs thereby negating the need to 'discover' it yourself. Is this right?

If it is right then how do you know that the Cmdr has discovered everything in the system? Is there a scanner upgrade that discovers all things with one sweep?

Thanks for any help.

KS

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Re: Need some help on this.

Postby AndyB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:49 am

just had a quick look and the only 2 stations i have are the ones you have, no third station.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Shelleen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Shelleen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:07 am

AndyB wrote:just had a quick look and the only 2 stations i have are the ones you have, no third station.

Thanks, AndyB.

There's a few more favours I'd like to ask of you (or anyone else) if you don't mind.

Can you tell me if your System Map shows the same planets as mine?

Have you been to LP 102-320 yourself?

If not, have you paid for the data from the Cartography section?

Thanks for the help.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Shelleen wrote:I'm not sure how this discovery thing is supposed to work. I had assumed (mistake right there!) that when an enterprising Cmdr first discovers something new and sells the data then it is available, at a price, to all other Cmdrs thereby negating the need to 'discover' it yourself. Is this right?

If it is right then how do you know that the Cmdr has discovered everything in the system? Is there a scanner upgrade that discovers all things with one sweep?

Thanks for any help.

KS

AFAIK, when you scan a system and sell the data to the cartography screen, what you get depends on whether you're the first one to scan the system or not and how complete your scan is. And yes, instead of scanning a system yourself, you can buy the data.

There is a scanner upgrade, to replace the basic one, but I don't know for sure what it does as I didn't buy it yet. There are also upgrades for the planetary scanner (not sure its real name, but that's the one that triggers on its own when you target an unknown planet) that make it work at greater distances.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Flip wrote:There is a scanner upgrade, to replace the basic one, but I don't know for sure what it does as I didn't buy it yet. There are also upgrades for the planetary scanner (not sure its real name, but that's the one that triggers on its own when you target an unknown planet) that make it work at greater distances.

The upgrade for the basic discovery scanner, as far as I know, just increases the range at which it can discover unknown objects. The basic scanner has a 500ls range.

You can also get a detailed surface scanner which gives more information (well, internally...we don't see it) on the planet and makes what you sell more valuable.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:30 pm

i've not been there yet so my map shows me the star, an asteroid belt and 2 stations; nothing else.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Shelleen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Shelleen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:51 am

AndyB wrote:i've not been there yet so my map shows me the star, an asteroid belt and 2 stations; nothing else.

Thanks again AndyB.

I've been back in there and tried to find the missing station but I can't locate it. I've traveled up to 1,500 ls speed searching for it but danged if I can find it. It could of course be a bug and it doesn't actually exist despite the BB missions to it, I don't know. Like a steering wheel in my pocket it's driving me nuts.

There is a big problem here with the discovery stuff. Without a complete system scanner there is no real way of telling whether you've found everything in the system or not. I've lost count of the times I've seen a body moving in parallax but had to dock to complete missions only to find I can't relocate it after undocking.

This aspect of the game needs an overhaul already. Life is too short (well mine is likely to be).

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:01 am

Shelleen wrote:....Like a steering wheel in my pocket it's driving me nuts....

I prefer sex to be like basketball. One on one with as little dribbling as possible...

Stay on target...

Return to “Gameplay and Features”