Community Support for the game and it's features
tooie32
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sov32
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Help with Bounty Hunting

Postby tooie32 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello guys I need some help I can currently using a Cobra Mk 3 I was doing pretty well on the pythons I am seeing on the Nav Beacons but today I am only getting the small ships like the sidewinder which are easy killings and then the Vipers which are tough to kill most of the time I get beaten up bad or died from them losing alot of my bounties the last set of bounties I gotten before I died the last time was around 50k I know pitiful I should be getting alot more than that but only small ships were showing on the Nav beacon today.

The reason I am asking for help is the Vipers they keep facing me with their weapons on me mostly beams to tear my shields appart I keep trying to manuver the cobra to the vipers tail but end up in failure I end up distancing the Viper and he manages to face me been using the thrusters to try to get behind him but not doing well. The larger ships like the ASP and Pythons are pretty easy to get behind.

I am getting better weapons and power plant to keep up the power but the rest like new armor cost to must and I can't get over 500k on bounties an hour. if I can get over than and maybe 1 million credits thats great unless I am doing bounty hunting in the wrong systems.

The one I am doing now is LP 98-132 one of the anarchy systems so I won't have to worry on getting an accidental bounty on my self by hitting a federation patrol ship the only probem I do run into when I get bounties I have to do long traveling to turn them in mostly the bounties for the empire the rest I don't have to travel far.

So what should I do find another system or do somthing else to get more credits or downgrade to a Viper and may not beable to turn the Empire bounties due to limit travel distance?

Can ya guys help me out?

Jack Shaftoe
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Jack Shaftoe
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Help with Bounty Hunting

Postby Jack Shaftoe » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:55 am

Personally, I prefer the Viper for bounty hunting. Sure, it's not as beefy as the Cobra, but it has some pretty strong shields, decent maneuverability, and it's the fastest thing out there. Since 1.1 and the change to the shield cells, I decided to ditch the shield cells and run if my shields get low. Chances are your opponent will follow you, and once your shields charge back up you can turn on him again.

The range is pretty limited, but some careful planning on the Galaxy Map will let you find a nice Anarchy system that's not too far from Fed, Alliance and Empire systems (for turning in bounties).

One important thing is to play to your ship's strengths, and to your opponents weaknesses. An Eagle is the most maneuverable, so don't get into a turning fight. A Python is pretty powerful (but not maneuverable), so get into a turning fight (as opposed to jousting).

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:00 am

Hi,

So, the reality is you will always see mostly small ships. Given the cost of the large ships, most NPCs like most players will not be able to afford the bigger ships, also most 'pirates' will favour small ships for their speed and manoeuvrability.

500K per hour for purely bounty hunting is pretty good going, bounty hunting is not a high paid profession (unless you take the big kill missions), the real money is in trading, so I would mix in some trading to get some cash, the Cobra can happily haul 40T so you can make some reasonable credits. I think you'll struggle to get 1m an hour just bounty hunting.

My favoured activity is to grab some cargo, jump to the system where I'm going to sell it, head to the Nav point, spend 20mins bounty hunting, then go sell my cargo and re-arm, rinse & repeat.

As for the Vipers, you'll always struggle to out-manoeuvre a Viper, they are dedicated fighters and the Cobra is a multi-purpose craft. Upgrading your thrusters helps, but the trick is fire-power, Vipers have strong shields but weak hulls (well the NPCs do anyway), you need lasers for the shields and kinetics (e.g. multi-cannons for the hulls), start far out and strip away the shields with your lasers, then bring in your kinetics when the shields drop.

Personally I wouldn't bounty hunt in anarchy systems, the time it takes you to keep flying to somewhere hand in bounties isn't worth it. Head for a system on the border of Fed and Imperial space, and hunt at the Nav points - the restriction on "friendly fire" were relaxed in the last patch, but if you do pick up a Wanted status, just boost away, jump to SC, fly to the nearest station and pay your fine.
If you have a KWS, them being on the boarder will mean you should only be a couple of jumps away to hand in bounties to another faction, don't bother to do this each time (unless you are also trading between the factions), just let it build for a while and hand them in every few days (that is of course unless you have a habit of dying a lot ;) ).
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

tooie32
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sov32

Postby tooie32 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:16 pm

Ok I will try that Xebeth if it fails for me I will do what jack suggests down grade to a Viper.

The Lasers I have but weak ones thats all I can affored atm if ya know some good lasers I can get that are under 500k which I am havning a hard time reaching to that will be awsome. For Trading I am not sure which system is best and which items to trade with some times I had to travel system to system to get some good decent profit after the refuel costs. Also if I can get more credits I will defently have to upgrade the cargo capacities I am running on the stock ones now.

Nemetos
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Nemetos

Postby Nemetos » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:40 pm

[quote="Xebeth"

My favoured activity is to grab some cargo, jump to the system where I'm going to sell it, head to the Nav point, spend 20mins bounty hunting, then go sell my cargo and re-arm, rinse & repeat.

As for the Vipers, you'll always struggle to out-manoeuvre a Viper, they are dedicated fighters and the Cobra is a multi-purpose craft. Upgrading your thrusters helps, but the trick is fire-power, Vipers have strong shields but weak hulls (well the NPCs do anyway), you need lasers for the shields and kinetics (e.g. multi-cannons for the hulls), start far out and strip away the shields with your lasers, then bring in your kinetics when the shields drop.

.[/quote]

I agree with the above :)

I find bounty hunting to be more of a ... secondary profession at the mo, unless you are going to take some of the missions in the bulletin board for assassination missions - and these tend to be Beefy Anacondas but will give you big bucks.

USS usually have groups of pirates, but .. its hit and miss.

I love the Viper for combat, but its draw back for me is its Power plant and range. Therefore, Ive tended to stick to a Cobra.

If you are in Anarchy system then you deffo need a KWS to get credits for a kill .

Also, you will tend to get interdicted by pirates if you have something juicy in your cargo hold ... like 1 ton of gold .. they cant resist it ! Submit to interdiction, and you will have the upper hand.

Have a read of this too ... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=750

Raz0r is the "Anaconda king" ... he's been killing them for sport for ages in a Cobra, and he knows all the tricks.

Others will also know, but he is the name I know, and will happily give you any tips on TS.

If you can, get onto the Teamspeak channels, and there are loads of Cmdrs there that will help you with advice .

Happy hunting !! :D

Beast Tanner
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Beast Tanner

Postby Beast Tanner » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Xebeth
I will take you on in Viper and you show me this firepower which helps you to kill Viper when they outmaneuver your Cobra. Ok this would be PvP and we can do that in war zone, but the point was that I am taking out my kill targets out with Viper and yeah, they are mostly anacondas. Never could do it without reverse tactic in cobra, because of the lack of speed.

So, for just fighting you will always have an edge in Viper because the zero corner and your speed. Cobra is waaaay better if you want to do anything else while doing bh. In Viper you get cargo of 2 and really short jump, but it is designated fighter with most speed. In dogfight the speed makes the difference although firepower helps too, but what good are they if you can't use them effectively. If you still want to use Cobra your dedicated fighter, speed it up before firepower.

Btw, killing Npc Viper with Viper is like taking lollipop from a baby. 8-)
And yes, I fly Cobra too when doing anything else than bh.

Ps. Target the power plant.
Last edited by Beast Tanner on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarkingMad
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Barking Mad

Postby BarkingMad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:36 pm

Xebeth wrote:Hi,

Precisely the opposite to me. If I'm entering a Nav point I like to make sure I don't have any cargo. The reason for this is the pirates will scan you (whilst you scan them with the KWS) but then turn away when they realise your hold is empty. That's when you slip in behind them and rip them apart. Without cargo, I find I have control over the situation.

I love how there's more than one way to skin a cat in this game.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Beast Tanner wrote:Xebeth
I will take you on in Viper and you show me this firepower which helps you to kill Viper when they outmaneuver your Cobra. Ok this would be PvP and we can do that in war zone, but the point was that I am taking out my kill targets out with Viper and yeah, they are mostly anacondas. Never could do it without reverse tactic in cobra, because of the lack of speed.

:D Well I'm in an Asp, but in PVP your point is well made, against the Cobra the Viper will be superior, but I was of course referring to NPCs. NPCs tend to be a bit dumb, in my experience starting far out a couple of size 2 beams will take out their shields, once these are down multi-cannons will quickly do for the hull.

Of course I haven't tried a Cobra in 1.1, but all the NPC Vipers I've come across are cannon-fodder to my Asp
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 am

Don't forget the cobra can be a bigger target depending on what kind of profile u leave for the enemy, try to manuver in such a way where u don't give them the flat side. Also do some bounty hunting at a resource site for the additional security help if u need it.
CMDR Emanon

Corsaire31
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Cyol Serkor

Postby Corsaire31 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:55 pm

There is also security help at Nav Beacons in civilized systems. I remember in Eravate (Federation) often one Anaconda and a couple of Vipers or Eagles which allowed me to finish ASPs, Pythons or even Anacondas with my little Eagle and cash the juicy bounties.
At the moment I'm hunting Nav Beacon at Esumindii (Federation) and there are also always some Authority Vessels around.
"The best proof that extraterrestial intelligences exist is that they never tried to contact us"

Return to “Gameplay and Features”