Group events and appointments in Game
AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

can you land on an anaconda?

Postby AndyB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:23 pm

the anaconda is a fair sized beast, at over 150 meters long its big enough to park most of the smaller ships on.

Globusdiablo and myself we discussing the idea of trying to land a sidewinder on an anaconda and then hyperspaceing to see if i could give him a lift.

what we would do is both ships drop shields while the sidewinder attempts a landing as close to the anaconda cockpit as they can get, the anaconda would then slowly throttle up until they we at full throttle.

at this point the anaconda would reactivate shields and start the jump to hyperspace, targeting a system that would be beyond the normal jump range of a sidey.

as far as i am aware this has never been tried before, chances are one of three things will happen:

the sidewinder will skid off the moment the anaconda throttles up
    the anaconda will make it into HS but the sidey wont
    the game will crash killing both ships

or any combination of the three :shock:

I've got the anaconda, who wants to bring the sidewinder?

meet at Chango dock in the i bootis system at 4pm GMT if you are interested, i'll be sitting at about 7km from the station entrance waiting.

if you cant make Chango post here, if i see it in time i can always jump to you by 4.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: can you land on an anaconda?

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:32 pm

AndyB wrote:the anaconda is a fair sized beast, at over 150 meters long its big enough to park most of the smaller ships on.

Globusdiablo and myself we discussing the idea of trying to land a sidewinder on an anaconda and then hyperspaceing to see if i could give him a lift.

what we would do is both ships drop shields while the sidewinder attempts a landing as close to the anaconda cockpit as they can get, the anaconda would then slowly throttle up until they we at full throttle.

at this point the anaconda would reactivate shields and start the jump to hyperspace, targeting a system that would be beyond the normal jump range of a sidey.

as far as i am aware this has never been tried before, chances are one of three things will happen:

the sidewinder will skid off the moment the anaconda throttles up
    the anaconda will make it into HS but the sidey wont
    the game will crash killing both ships

or any combination of the three :shock:

I've got the anaconda, who wants to bring the sidewinder?

meet at Chango dock in the i bootis system at 4pm GMT if you are interested, i'll be sitting at about 7km from the station entrance waiting.

if you cant make Chango post here, if i see it in time i can always jump to you by 4.

Excellent idea friend. As you wouldn't answer my calls the other day (no, no, I understand), I actually tried landing on another ones Anaconda (alright, settle down. It's not that kind of forum).

(Sold my Lakon 6 for a Sidey. Waiting for Beta 2.)

We both dropped shields, and I tried to land on him. No docking confirmation of course. Cockpits were showing electrical interference and smoke.

We didn't try the hyper jump though. Sounds fun!

Don't know that I can make it. But can't wait to here the outcome.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Good way to test the games physics. But according to my experimentations with a Sidey and an asteroid, I think the Sidey would skid off as soon as the Conda throttles up.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:07 pm

After the first test the sidewinder has to try with FA off.

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:29 pm

I saw some one land a viper on an anaconda in Fireytoad's stream once...well, it was a viper on an anaconda on an asteroid so was quite impressive. There were also two more anacondas along side and a sidey taking the pictures. I believe there is a video it somewhere.

They didn't try hyper spacing or anything but surely, that's the only logical step. :-)

Return to “In Game Events”