Discussion about the Order of Mobius faction in Elite: Dangerous
Macklroy
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Macklroy
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

TS vs Discord

Postby Macklroy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:42 am

For those who support the OOM minor faction in game. Do you use the Mobius TeamSpeak server or Mobius Discord? Both? Or neither?

I am really not a fan of discord but the OOM TS channel is almost always empty...besides myself and maybe 1 other cmdr.

Just curious. o7

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Re: TS vs Discord

Postby charlie2alpha » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:01 am

I'm the opposite, I always have discord running when I'm playing but I don't usually turn on voice unless I wing up.

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church

Postby Sevin Church » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Same, I think I have used the Mobius channel once in Discord, I almost never use TS anymore. Always have Discord up for my own channel to chat with friends.

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:23 pm

I only head on voice when needed as its not always convenient at home with little one sleeping and randomly making noise... I have both setup for whatever wing I'm in requests me to use

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Lanceor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Having used both systems, I think that Discord's all-in-one comms approach seems to be the way things are going. It's greatest strength is that it only takes one click to switch to any voice or chat channel which is especially handy for assembling a wing or raiding group. It's also easy to invite people to the server, and there's also a limited web version for people who want to chat but can't/don't want to download any software. At least two of the guilds that I've been in have switched over from TS to Discord. Discord's biggest downside is that its interface is different - not necessarily a bad thing, but it takes getting used to.

TS still works well for voice, but only for voice. It's clunkier to use, and in previous guilds, we wasted a lot of time getting people to switch between servers for joint operations with other guilds. This probably won't be a problem in E:D though.

In short, if you only need voice and only have a small number of people, both work fine. If you are a member of multiple guilds and have lots of friends, I think Discord is the better option.

Like evovi though, I don't use voice comms all that often as it isn't always convenient. ;)
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Psychotoddler
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Psychotoddler

Postby Psychotoddler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm

The only time I use voice is in a wing and then I just use the internal ED comms. Still see a lot of typing tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Psychotoddler wrote:The only time I use voice is in a wing and then I just use the internal ED comms. Still see a lot of typing tho.

It may be just me but....

I quite like the in game Comms... Teamspeak and discord is just too clear and perfect ... The in game Comms sounds (intentionally) just like I'd expect it to between ships, "red leader red leader im hit" bit more immersion imo

Psychotoddler
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Psychotoddler

Postby Psychotoddler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:01 pm

evovi wrote:
Psychotoddler wrote:The only time I use voice is in a wing and then I just use the internal ED comms. Still see a lot of typing tho.

It may be just me but....

I quite like the in game Comms... Teamspeak and discord is just too clear and perfect ... The in game Comms sounds (intentionally) just like I'd expect it to between ships, "red leader red leader im hit" bit more immersion imo

Totally agree! It's cool! I even used it with my daughter and she's just upstairs.

Delvin Kaar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Delvin Kaar

Postby Delvin Kaar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:17 pm

I'd prefer the in-game comma, but it seems to be plagued with issues as of late. The cool Apollo-era comms effects are a nice touch, but easily forgotten when your wingmen are getting awful feedback.
I've had both Discord and TS installed since last year, but haven't bothered using either until a couple weeks ago. Both services tended to have lists of players that I've never met, or hardly anyone online. A To friend and a couple new members have been winging up with me, so the RL friend downloaded Discord and we've stuck with it so far. It's a free service, and the voice quality is pretty impressive. Even back in my WoW days I was never a huge fan of TS' interface, and most of the guild I was in used Ventrilo, so never had a chance to get used to it.
The discord windows app works pretty well. The only thing it might be missing from the text chats is a "select all" function to go with the copy/ cut/ paste. Friday night I accidentally loaded the DM chat window with the json doc from my shipyard instead of the link to a ship build. As it was a fully engineered ship, I had to lean on my delete key for almost 20 minutes to clear it all.....

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Assembly”