Postby Judson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:33 pm

cyberbofh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: cyberbofh
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: OOM Ship Prefix

Postby cyberbofh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Lanceor wrote:I've gone through the thread, and counted up each person's preference.

It appears that OMS is slightly in the lead, with the OME/OMC/OMF/OMM system coming a close second.

As RD-83 and Pargy proposed above, OMS with an optional -E, -C, -F or -M would be a good compromise between the two most popular choices. In other words, pick one of these:

OMS
OMS-E
OMS-C
OMS-F
OMS-M

Is this something that most of would be reasonably happy with?

I like the logic in it for the different roles, but..

OMS? that doesn't tell me anything..
I mean, I am pretty sure that most people wouldn't think about MOBIUS when they see a ship prefix starting with O..
If we all like the idea of a MOBIUS ship prefix, then why not use one that connects us all?

It's safe to say that every The Order of Mobius and Mobius Colonial Republic Navy member is part of MOBIUS, but not all (most of them are not) MOBIUS members are part of one of those player factions, so why limit the ship's prefix to player faction only?

Like I said before, I like the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle, so I use a starting M for MOBIUS ;)
and yes... I don't distinguishes between the several private groups, the player factions or whatever, because I see it as one MOBIUS

I am in favor for:

Mobius + <role>

or

Mobius + Ship + <role> or Mobius + Vessel + <role>

but no more than 3 characters in total, so you still can use your ship's designation - if you like that - for your ship's ID as well
(ship ID is limited to 6 chars)
--

Fly safely CMDR! o7

Discord Mod
Forum Mod

Remember Wheaton's law

ImageImage

Judson
Master
Master
CMDR: Judson

Postby Judson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Seems to me this thread will go on for ever! We all play in one of the mobius groups for the majority of the time. ALL ships we meet are Mobius ships and no need to highlight that fact. The OP was about our OoM preferred ship prefix and has already been said OMS wins the loose poll we have had. Or am I missing something here? :roll:

cyberbofh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: cyberbofh

Postby cyberbofh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Judson wrote:Seems to me this thread will go on for ever! We all play in one of the mobius groups for the majority of the time. ALL ships we meet are Mobius ships and no need to highlight that fact. The OP was about our OoM preferred ship prefix and has already been said OMS wins the loose poll we have had. Or am I missing something here? :roll:

Well..
Only the part when I mentioned this:

cyberbofh wrote:If we all like the idea of a MOBIUS ship prefix, then why not use one that connects us all?

It's safe to say that every The Order of Mobius and Mobius Colonial Republic Navy member is part of MOBIUS, but not all (most of them are not) MOBIUS members are part of one of those player factions, so why limit the ship's prefix to player faction only?

Or was the idea of finding a ship prefix that connects all MOBIUS members really that horrible? :)
--

Fly safely CMDR! o7

Discord Mod
Forum Mod

Remember Wheaton's law

ImageImage

Judson
Master
Master
CMDR: Judson

Postby Judson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 pm

cyberbofh wrote:Or was the idea of finding a ship prefix that connects all MOBIUS members really that horrible? :)

Not at all but ship names are already with us and I have gone with the consensus already. I don't really want to chop and change!

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor

Postby Lanceor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I too would have preferred MS, but OMS was a close second choice for me. I think people like it because of its similarity to HMS, RMS etc. Everyone has their own ideas of what makes a good ship prefix, so I don't think we as a group will ever be 100% in agreement.

At the end of the day though, the prefix is entirely optional - each Cmdr can use whatever ship name or prefix they prefer. It's just nice if a whole bunch of us show up with the same ship prefix. If enough people adopt a particular prefix, whether OMS or something else, I guess that's when it becomes semi-official.

Since it seems to be the most popular (though not by a majority) and has already been adopted by some commanders, I'll be following suit and using the OMS prefix.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Don Vito
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: V. Corleone
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Don Vito » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't think we need ship's role designations in the Ship Codes as we can just apply the relevant name plate to display that.

OOM, KOM and MOB get my vote.
Leave the plasma accelerator, take the food cartridges.

Argonaught
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Obsidian Flint
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Argonaught » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Until a prefix is decided upon I've just stuck OOM on me ship for now.
In Game contact: CMDR Obsidian Flint

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:30 am

I tried this ages ago and no one seemed interested :( haha (viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4195&p=47982&hilit=prefix#p47982 for reference).

One I liked was M*V where the * could be Combat (C), Exploration (E) or Trade (T) so you end up with:

MCV - Mobius Combat Vessel
MEV - Mobius Exploration Vessel
MTV - Mobius Trade Vessel

the 'V' could be changed to 'S' for Ship or Starship so:

MCS, MES or MTS
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:04 pm

I ran with OMS for a while, but hate to say it. I decided I like my ship names uncluttered with a prefix, so can't imagine me using one again. All my ships have long winded names as it is, all ending in the word Shadow. However prefix or no prefix, my ships still serve oom :)

Return to “General Assembly”