Missions are rubbish

Discussion about the Order of Mobius faction in Elite: Dangerous
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Missions are rubbish

Postby smartroad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:55 am

I have been trying to run missions for The Order but they are rubbish. Either very low paying or multi-stage missions I won't do as they generally break.

Mostly I have been bounty hunting in the system but even that is hard work with many low value. As I am mostly on my own I rarely go into a SSS because even though I am a reasonable tanked Python, I am not sure even that would hold out against the 5 (seriously why can NPCs have a 5+ wing and we can't?) Vultures or 3 Anaconda's that generally sit there. And USS' generally have harmless or mostly harmless pirates worth less than a salvo of multicannon ammo. It just seems that it is one end of the spectrum or the other and nothing in between :(
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Missions are rubbish

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:08 am

smartroad wrote:seriously why can NPCs have a 5+ wing and we can't?

Seeing the issues we regularly have to get a wing of 2 or 3 working, I don’t dare imagining what it would be with a wing of 8!
Not to mention that the wing HUD would cover your whole screen.

As for the missions, I couldn’t agree more. Total crap all around the boards.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:15 am

Don't worry, 2.1 will magically cure all these issues with missions.
At that point monkeys may also fly out of my butt.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:23 am

de Carabas wrote:Don't worry, 2.1 will magically cure all these issues with missions.
At that point monkeys may also fly out of my butt.

Can't.... get.... image.... out.... of.... head.... :lol: (What size monkey....)

To be fair I have no problems with the missions persay (I avoid the multistage ones as I rarely have time to complete them anyway) it is just that I saw a cargo mission for some low cost material (forget which now) offering sub 10k CR and requiring an Elite(!) level in trading. Seriously why would anyone with 'Elite' demean themselves with such a low priced mission? I was in a Federation system and at least a few times there were some missions needing only a medium level in combat or trading to earn over 100k. On occasion a slave smuggling mission would pop up and then you had over a million.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:02 am

Flip wrote:

Seeing the issues we regularly have to get a wing of 2 or 3 working, I don’t dare imagining what it would be with a wing of 8!

I have a ticket open regarding instancing issues. One key to the puzzle is Most Routers do a shit job at implementing UPnP. Setting up port forwarding cures 70-80% of our instancing issues. The rest are on FD.

(BTW, seems the Virgin MediaHub 2 is crap with UPnP)
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:40 am

Loriath wrote:
Flip wrote:

I have a ticket open regarding instancing issues. One key to the puzzle is Most Routers do a shit job at implementing UPnP. Setting up port forwarding cures 70-80% of our instancing issues. The rest are on FD.

You know what's strange: I have neither port forwarding nor UPnP active, and have no issues with meeting people. During the war the instancing seemed perfect (many many commanders :) )and also during the sessions with Mobius and Mister Facepalm.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Wolf wrote:
Loriath wrote:
Flip wrote:

You know what's strange: I have neither port forwarding nor UPnP active, and have no issues with meeting people. During the war the instancing seemed perfect (many many commanders :) )and also during the sessions with Mobius and Mister Facepalm.

Maybe you don't have a shit router ?
Same here actually, it's been pretty good for me too lately, but then again I have mostly been moping around in my lonesome these days.

But yea, missions are rubbish, I only do some when I'm bored with everything else and expect all of them to fail.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Wolf wrote:You know what's strange: I have neither port forwarding nor UPnP active, and have no issues with meeting people. During the war the instancing seemed perfect (many many commanders :) )and also during the sessions with Mobius and Mister Facepalm.

According to FD Support, if it can't do UPnP then it falls back to another method that is very unreliable. I am assuming it backs up to tcp connections over http as that is more or less the gist of what they mentioned to me.

Are you 100% sure that you have UPnP disabled? There are quite a few routers out there that you can't disable it at all even though it says it has.
Several models of Linksys/Cisco, Netgear, D-Link, Asus, and Buffalo are known culprits of this. My Provider makes us use their Modem/Router, and though its better than most at a lot of things, the UPnP failures are well know.

There is a good chance that most peoples connection issues are due to crap routers. If your doing fine with never an issue, than you are damn lucky.

As far as missions, when I wiped my save in August, all I did was board missions (smuggling, hauling, data) and it paid me well enough to make about a Half Billion in a hurry. One of the main reasons I am not doing missions now is that there are too many broken ones. Especially multi-stop missions.

But at this point:
Its not about the Money (Money Money)
We don't need the Money (Money Money)
We just wanna laugh our asses off
Forget about the Cash Bag
Ain't about the uh cha-ching cha-ching
Ain't about the yeah b-bling b-bling

OMG I need help.... ROFL
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Loriath wrote:
Wolf wrote:You know what's strange: I have neither port forwarding nor UPnP active, and have no issues with meeting people. During the war the instancing seemed perfect (many many commanders :) )and also during the sessions with Mobius and Mister Facepalm.

According to FD Support, if it can't do UPnP then it falls back to another method that is very unreliable. I am assuming it backs up to tcp connections over http as that is more or less the gist of what they mentioned to me.

Are you 100% sure that you have UPnP disabled? There are quite a few routers out there that you can't disable it at all even though it says it has.
Several models of Linksys/Cisco, Netgear, D-Link, Asus, and Buffalo are known culprits of this. My Provider makes us use their Modem/Router, and though its better than most at a lot of things, the UPnP failures are well know.

There is a good chance that most peoples connection issues are due to crap routers. If your doing fine with never an issue, than you are damn lucky.

As far as missions, when I wiped my save in August, all I did was board missions (smuggling, hauling, data) and it paid me well enough to make about a Half Billion in a hurry. One of the main reasons I am not doing missions now is that there are too many broken ones. Especially multi-stop missions.

But at this point:
Its not about the Money (Money Money)
We don't need the Money (Money Money)
Ain't about the uh cha-ching cha-ching
Ain't about the yeah b-bling b-bling

OMG I need help.... ROFL

Absolutely 100% sure UPnP is turned off! I activated it just for testing yesterday and saw all the ports being forwarded to the different stuff in my network (stupid little devices there). Then I closed it again.
Nope, it's off, definitely. ;)
I have a cable modem/router (Fritz!Box), pretty new (Just got it 2 weeks ago), but with the old one I also had no problems.

Yeah, the multi-stop missions work for me, just not the hostage once. They just disappear on me, no fail, no trace, just gone.
Yesterday I finished a running the gauntlet. It is bugged (waited 2 hours after supposed time for a mission update) but then it went smoothly.

So for me only the hostage ones are really broken, the gauntlet just annoying, but the rest works.

But that still doesn't fix the problem that in general there are just no good missions for the Order. Maybe once a day, the rest is just low paying low influence crap allthough I am sooo allied! ;)

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:29 pm

All I have left to do in the game is support a minor faction and try to get them to take the system and expand.

The missions are so broken, I am now 3000+ LY from the bubble exploring. I still have to make pioneer and Elite. I was going to ignore exploration until there was something fun/interesting/rewarding to do for my last 2 ranks, but, I had to get away from the mission system.

I hope 2.1 does fix them. From what I've read, 2.1 will not change missions so much as change the way they are presented. Not good news, unless they actually fix the ones that are broken.

If that doesn't happen, it's time to move on to other games.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Return to “General Assembly”