Discussion about the Order of Mobius faction in Elite: Dangerous
Judson
Master
Master
CMDR: Judson
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Background Sim test

Postby Judson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:38 am

I have concluded a one man test of a tiny system containing just two factions, 1 small outpost and a ground station usable by big ships. The controlling faction at the start owned both stations. It took 2 days to bring the lower none controlling sub faction to par with the controlling faction, had a pending civil war for 3 days, civil war for only 6 days where I helped the lower faction to win with a 13% lead(had 1 helper). The 7th day, my chosen faction took control of the outpost and the system flipped!

Conclusion: The BGS worked correctly with nothing amiss!

It was interesting that the station that was taken over was the outpost and not the ground station which took the bigger ships. Space is obviously the decider!

Kiltrathi
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Kiltrathi
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Background Sim test

Postby Kiltrathi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:44 am

Excellent work!
Is it possible to flip ground stations at all?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:50 am

Kiltrathi wrote:Excellent work!
Is it possible to flip ground stations at all?

Good question.

I suspect the outpost in space was the one to flip since horizons and the planetary port being kind of optional for players.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Great work Judson.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Judson
Master
Master
CMDR: Judson

Postby Judson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Thank you and going back to Exioce, it would seem that it indeed must be 15% differential to win a war (after expansion). At the conclusion of our war in Exioce we had 23.4% and Crimson had 8.8% a differential of 14.6% just shy of the required amount! That is why it was considered a stalemate and we didn't take any real estate!

We should keep this in mind for the next one!

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Judson wrote:Thank you and going back to Exioce, it would seem that it indeed must be 15% differential to win a war (after expansion). At the conclusion of our war in Exioce we had 23.4% and Crimson had 8.8% a differential of 14.6% just shy of the required amount! That is why it was considered a stalemate and we didn't take any real estate!

Sterling work.

However, the differential seems to be variable (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3521622) - it used to be thought 5% for a Civil war and 10-12% for a War.

We lost a system this week where both parties came out on par (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=229851).

The lesson I've learned is that nothing can be relied on until some major work on the BGS is published and thoroughly tested.

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Walter wrote:
Judson wrote:Thank you and going back to Exioce, it would seem that it indeed must be 15% differential to win a war (after expansion). At the conclusion of our war in Exioce we had 23.4% and Crimson had 8.8% a differential of 14.6% just shy of the required amount! That is why it was considered a stalemate and we didn't take any real estate!

Sterling work.

However, the differential seems to be variable (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3521622) - it used to be thought 5% for a Civil war and 10-12% for a War.

We lost a system this week where both parties came out on par (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=229851).

The lesson I've learned is that nothing can be relied on until some major work on the BGS is published and thoroughly tested.

My guess is that the smaller the system population the more predictable the result. Both Cardea and Brib have < 1M souls so this group should be able to handle either one. Exioce victory threshold for us will also be lower since OOM is now a local power. Any system with more than 50M - I wouldn't touch.

Great work Judson !

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Tifu wrote:My guess is that the smaller the system population the more predictable the result . . . Any system with more than 50M - I wouldn't touch.

Can I ask for the basis of your guess?

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu

Postby Tifu » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Walter wrote:
Tifu wrote:My guess is that the smaller the system population the more predictable the result . . . Any system with more than 50M - I wouldn't touch.

Can I ask for the basis of your guess?

Let me put my thoughts together....

From posts on the FD BGS related threads , I found that the impact of gaining 2M bounties/CZ bonds gains you a few percentage points of influence in a small (ie. a few million people) system but virtually nothing in a large one (400M). A large dedicated player group like MoM can take on systems much larger than Exioce because they can generate many more multiples of X million bonds than we can in the same period of time.

And it doesn't matter if a bug stops them cold, they have enough of a player pool to pile up enough influence to try again immediately at the first chance tbey get until they succeed . Which is why MoM has 10 systems under their belt now - and I'm fairly sure a few of these were won despite opposition from other players.

Exioce , with a population of 20-30M, exhausted us after a week or a little over a week of trying. But if that first expansion system had been Brib (450k) or Cardea (750k) I'm fairly sure we would have hit the tipping point in just a few days. And we surely would have had the remaining stamina to try again (just like MoM) should the first try have failed.

With our greater knowledge about the BGS and it's thresholds and which techniques are most efficient at raising influence I'm very confident that we will win the second Exioce (civil) war. But because of the nature of our group (very casual) I would be hesitant to take on systems twice or thrice the size of Exioce because the requisite collective group will and/or stamina isn't there.

Taking on a system like Priva (500M) by ourselves would be completely out of the question without the help of other groups.

I think I misphrased my original statement, I should have used the words "predictable result". It's a matter of sheer human persistence overcoming whatever instability the BGS has.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Walter wrote:Sterling work.

This man here can tell you all about how FDev saying something is "working as intended" is a misnomer for broken or partially functional. If anything I would say partially functional is the name of the game when it comes to the BSG because recently Walter and I banged are heads collectively against a wall to try to come to terms with the what and how of the BSG.

When you perform the "correct" actions the desired result usually happens, but the problem is that all actions which should effect a system and influence really are not or are not always working. IDK I think I am going to juat go back to pretending the I don't care about the BGS.

Return to “General Assembly”