Discussion about the Order of Mobius faction in Elite: Dangerous
Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Background Sim test

Postby Walter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:16 am

Tifu wrote:From posts on the FD BGS related threads , I found that the impact of gaining 2M bounties/CZ bonds gains you a few percentage points of influence in a small (ie. a few million people) system but virtually nothing in a large one (400M). A large dedicated player group like MoM can take on systems much larger than Exioce because they can generate many more multiples of X million bonds than we can in the same period of time.

And it doesn't matter if a bug stops them cold, they have enough of a player pool to pile up enough influence to try again immediately at the first chance tbey get until they succeed . Which is why MoM has 10 systems under their belt now - and I'm fairly sure a few of these were won despite opposition from other players.

Exioce , with a population of 20-30M, exhausted us after a week or a little over a week of trying. But if that first expansion system had been Brib (450k) or Cardea (750k) I'm fairly sure we would have hit the tipping point in just a few days. And we surely would have had the remaining stamina to try again (just like MoM) should the first try have failed.

Reasonable assumptions, but there is the cap factor to take into consideration (from the dev update: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=221826 - my emphasis added):

There is a cap on the amount a Faction can change in influence per day, which is determined by: the size of population (the bigger the harder), the faction state, the amount of player activity that day, and any Power influence on that system. Influence is calculated on an approximately daily tick.

(I do rather like the adjective "approximately" when referring to the daily tick - so full of promise, yet hedged about with vagueness.)

This suggests that even a single player/small group can make a difference even in a system with a high population, but it will be hard work no matter how many players are involved.

It's getting to the point where the BGS is increasingly becoming like a religious document, endlessly pored over by interpreters and seers, trying to make sense of incomplete, contradictory, with elements of deliberate obfuscation.

At least we've yet to reach the point where we argue about how many Thargoids can dance on the head of a pin.

Your guess is as good as mine.
StaticRadion wrote: I think I am going to just go back to pretending the I don't care about the BGS.

That's how I maintain what's left of my sanity. If you come across any of the parts that got up and left of their own accord, I'd be interested in finding our how they're getting on.

Tifu
Master
Master
CMDR: Tifu
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Background Sim test

Postby Tifu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:33 am

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3540818

More info in this post :

1. Hierarchy of system states
2. Tick timing of system state changes and influence changes ( different timing for each)

Return to “General Assembly”