Discussion about the Order of Mobius faction in Elite: Dangerous
LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Text/Voice chat channel "Supporters of Mobius"

Postby LionOfNarnia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Just created on 'Discord', the simple, clean, FREE alternative to TS.

Invite link - https://discord.gg/0ZFaxw5ut6fnKy93

I'm off for an early night, too tired to fly (shot police rather than pirates *facepalm*) but give it a whirl, see what you think. It works either through browser or desktop app.
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Re: Text/Voice chat channel "Supporters of Mobius"

Postby Mobius » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:35 am

what have you found then?

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:20 am

i've bookmarked it, tonight i'll try and get my headset going and see how it all works out
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Forked
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Forked

Postby Forked » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:11 am

Looks interesting. :)

Just so you know, the TS server (ts.elitepve.com:9988) doesn't cost me anything to host. It has a 512 slots non profit license.
The VPS it runs on is hosted inside a small mountain in Norway and is free as well (I get it through work, a small ISP in Norway).

I'll read up on discord though.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:19 am

Forked wrote:Looks interesting. :)

Just so you know, the TS server (ts.elitepve.com:9988) doesn't cost me anything to host. It has a 512 slots non profit license.
The VPS it runs on is hosted inside a small mountain in Norway and is free as well (I get it through work, a small ISP in Norway).

I'll read up on discord though.

Thanks for allowing us to use it. I have been on it a few times in the past and it is a blast, but the amount of time I can be on TS is extrememly low.

I have a major issue with TS is that the any version of TS after 3.0.12 does not allow for any valid keys from Direct Input. That means I could not configure a raw button from my Joystick to be used as PTT. Their response was for us to use a keyboard. :shock: Well that doesn't work and I refuse to do Voice Activation. I don't want to annoy anyone with my VA commands, Yelling at dogs, calling for beer, hearing the S.O. telling me to get off the game ;)

I have played a bit with the Discord stuff and it seems decent. And I can use a JOYSTICK button as PTT. And it is as simple as a Webpage, which makes it real easy for people to start with it.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:07 am

Loriath wrote:I have a major issue with TS is that the any version of TS after 3.0.12 does not allow for any valid keys from Direct Input. That means I could not configure a raw button from my Joystick to be used as PTT. Their response was for us to use a keyboard. :shock: Well that doesn't work and I refuse to do Voice Activation. I don't want to annoy anyone with my VA commands, Yelling at dogs, calling for beer, hearing the S.O. telling me to get off the game ;)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I use a button on my X-52 Pro throttle for PPT in TS. My version is 3.0.17. I don't know anything about Direct Input though, so maybe that's why your's isn't working and mine is? I have the Saitek profiler setup to 'unassigned' state for all of the buttons.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:11 am

JohnLuke wrote:
Loriath wrote:I have a major issue with TS is that the any version of TS after 3.0.12 does not allow for any valid keys from Direct Input. That means I could not configure a raw button from my Joystick to be used as PTT. Their response was for us to use a keyboard. :shock: Well that doesn't work and I refuse to do Voice Activation. I don't want to annoy anyone with my VA commands, Yelling at dogs, calling for beer, hearing the S.O. telling me to get off the game ;)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I use a button on my X-52 Pro throttle for PPT in TS. My version is 3.0.17. I don't know anything about Direct Input though, so maybe that's why your's isn't working and mine is? I have the Saitek profiler setup to 'unassigned' state for all of the buttons.

Any version above 3.0.12 will not allow me to use a Button on the stick to activate PTT. And I have the programming software set the same as you. No Idea why it works for you and not me, and this is not the first time I have heard this. However, if you are unlucky like myself to have this issue, TS support blames saitek and says they do not support Windows Direct Input and to use a keyboard.

Hence my reluctance to use TS even though it is by far the most popular software.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:15 am

Don't know if it would help, but I see that 3.0.18 is available.... if you haven't tried that version yet. :?
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:17 am

JohnLuke wrote:Don't know if it would help, but I see that 3.0.18 is available.... if you haven't tried that version yet. :?

Yeah I have. As we say in Canada. Same SH*T, different pile....
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Postby LionOfNarnia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:35 pm

The feedback on Discord has been pretty positive so far, although some hard-core TS fans have their concerns.

Couple of points I'd like to make:-

1) I'll be spending most of my time on the OoM Wing server, but I'll keep popping into the SoM server to see what's going on.
2) Any request for new channels etc, no prob, just PM me in Discord.
3) Could do with a Logo for SoM, if any of you photoshop people fancy a wee task.

Also, please remember that Discord is actually still in ALPHA so it will get better & better as time goes on. They are keen to get feedback which will help them develop it so 'say what you see' ;)

I've already opened a dialogue with Jason, the CEO, about having the ability to password channels, so that tactics/strategy can be discussed privately.

Enjoy - and thanks again Loriath for spotting this :D

E2A:- Discord has a text-to-speech feature :D
Great idea for those people who don't think their spoken English is good enough to use the voice channels.
Just prefix your messages with /tts and they will be heard on the voice channel.
Please try it out, wanna hear what it sounds like ;)
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Return to “General Assembly”