So what do you really think?

Discuss CQC and make appointmets for matches.
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

So what do you really think?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

I've still only managed to play two rounds in CQC. Partially because I got bored of waiting for matches and went back to exploring. I don't really mind getting killed in this game format, but when I do get a match, it's with people ranked much higher in much better ships. But even getting killed 10-12 times in two matches vs. 1-2 kills and 2-3 assists, I still ranked up to the Sidey after my second round. It seems pretty ridiculous to rank up that fast.

My first feel of the Condor was that it was a pig. It may have just felt slow because of the scale of the arena. And it's just a weak as the Condors in the CZs and die just as fast. Maybe the Sidey will last a little longer when I get around to trying it.

It was also fun to self-destruct when I accidentally flew out of the arena area. I got the warning and so turned and started flying toward a structure, but continued to get warnings until I blew up. I wish they marked the arena a little better - maybe have a Star Trek type Tholian Web mark the boundaries (only appear when you leave the arena), or have the HUD point you back to the active area. Maybe the compass already does this, so I'll need to check that out next time. ;)

It's also strange how the so-called "fixed" weapons are actually gimballed and lose tracking when chaff is used. It would be nice to have stronger fixed weapons and weaker slower firing gimballed - your choice. At least you don't need to worry about sub-targets.

So far, I think it will be a pretty fun option for an arcade style game within the simulation. It will be nice when they work some of the bugs out, like making matches faster and with more equally ranked opponents (especially for noobs).
It's time to give this another go.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: So what do you really think?

Postby de Carabas » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:14 pm

I've done a few rounds and have two main conclusions
1) It's much more fun than I thought it was going to be. Mainly because there are no consequences to the main game. It's a laugh to weave in and out of the structures and get the occasional PvP kill in (which of course I don't do in the main game).
2) I suck at PvP

I think the whole match-making thing will get better once there are more people playing it. At the moment it tries to match you up with people of close rank but as your wait time increases it relaxes the rules until you find someone to compete with, even if they are many levels above.

Do I see myself spending much time in it after release? Nope. The occasional foray perhaps but it's a little like any arcade game and I will lose interest after a while. There's been many posts about E: D having a lot of breadth but little depth. CQC has neither (but is a fun distraction).
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:17 pm

I also found the matchmaking was poor. First ever round and I was up against a rank 19 and a rank 15 and yet my team seemed to have no one greater than rank 3.
I have had a few goes since and managed to progress a bit better, unlocked the eagle with beams.
It's an ok diversion from the main game but that's all, can see that if you were half way to the core and wanted a bit of pew pew then it may well satisfy that need.

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I originally viewed CQC with some skepticism but must say that it is quite a fun distraction from the main game. After having played about 1.5 hours in CQC I have ranked up quite quickly, but that is not because I am good at PVP - my cat-like reflexes have faded away and my sloth like reflexes have emerged at astounding speed (quite an irony really :)) CQC although a fun distraction feels very much like an Arcade game to me, which I can see myself getting bored of after some time. It will probably appeal more to the younger PVP crowd needing their kill fix.
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:07 pm

I've played a few rounds. Its fun, but I suck at PvP and hated being pitted (constantly) against players some 5-10 levels above me. Got bored/angry of constantly dying eventually so in the last game I played kinda rage quit by walking away from my machine and my ship just sat there until the round ended.

I still feel it is a shame that you have to effectively quit the game in order to play it. I remember the old Wing Commander game (first one) that let you play on the simulator to practise. It would have been nice if this could have been done in a similar way. Maybe an option to go into a 'sim' (which I recall there being a ruckus about on GalNet some time ago) from the Galnet menu.

I also don't like that the CQC rank is displayed with my other ranks especially if I never play it. At least with PP there is no indication of the meta game if you don't want to partake.

As a little distraction it is good and I am sure some of the younger players will like it but it has no feeling of Elite to me. Though if other like it then it is all good :D
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:24 pm

I think its great fun once you can get into a match but takes so much time to connect that it puts you off playing.

I've found the best way to advance in rank is to play in the death matches, if you get lucky enough to be in a full match you have seven targets to chose from and can earn quite a lot of XP. in that situation what i to do is join in when someone else is attacked, taking out the attacker from behind while their attention is focused on their target. as your joining the party late they often make their kill before you've had a chance to damage their hull, but as long as their shields are down before your own have taken a shot you have them.

like the main game combat its very important to keep those pips moving in CQC, after an attack like i describe above where my power would be assigned S 0, E 2 & W 4 i switch to S 4, E 2 & W 0 to speed up shield recharge while maintaining speed.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:51 pm

smartroad wrote:I also don't like that the CQC rank is displayed with my other ranks especially if I never play it. At least with PP there is no indication of the meta game if you don't want to partake.

Absolutely agree, it's almost like you HAVE to play it :shock:
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:01 am

IronDuke wrote:
smartroad wrote:I also don't like that the CQC rank is displayed with my other ranks especially if I never play it. At least with PP there is no indication of the meta game if you don't want to partake.

Absolutely agree, it's almost like you HAVE to play it :shock:

Yes, I completely agree. I hope they remove that in the official release.
There is no reason to show CQC rank in the regular game or regular rankings in the arcade game.
They really feel like they have nothing to do with each other.
It's time to give this another go.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Well done a few rounds......

Ok I spose if you're into that kinda thing.....

But when you are level 3 and end up with levels 20-45 in the deathmatch...It becomes a bit boring.....

Killed in secs.......

And people ramming becomes boring also.......

Might just pass on it.....

Unless like tonight.....I'm bored and pissed......

:D

Orf to watch The Dr now........

Toodily pip....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:07 pm

The first couple of times were "weeeee pew pew!!"

But then it started to become very samey, which is odd because you could argue that RES hunting (which I love) is samey, but somehow CQC just seemed, I don't know, more repetitive somehow.

Horses for courses I guess :?
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Return to “CQC Discussion”