Discussions about PowerPlay in general
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Are You Enjoying PowerPlay?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:33 pm

I remember it was broken and there were a lot of complaints when it came out. I never tried it. I've tried reading up on it recently and it still seems rather confusing, using terms I'm not familiar with, but I assume it gets easier to understand once you start playing it. I noticed all the powers had positive CC, except Mahon, who had several thousands in negative CC. How does that work? How isn't the Alliance just a tiny little handful of worlds?

Anyway, my general impression it that PP may be great for new players. You get extra credits and access to custom weapons. But it seems that there are better weapons available if you have the credits, and once you reach a certain level of credits, getting extra doesn't seem like much of an incentive. I don't think you'd want to play PVP using any of the custom weapons.

I'm not much of a war-hawk, but do like to see criminals punished. So I'm not interested in expanding my power across the galaxy, but more interested in protecting what is mine. If someone attacks me, I will go to war with them. Is there enough to do in PP if you take this stance? Is it worth it, considering the problems you generate for yourself with other powers? Does it make the game interesting when you have nothing better to do?

I'll be back from the DWE in a couple weeks. I expect to do some experimenting to see how the changes since 1.4 & 1.5 affect combat. After that I'll be looking for something to do and wonder if giving PP a try is worth it. I still read a lot of negative comments about PP, but those may be colored be early experiences.
It's time to give this another go.

Jack Dunhill
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jack Dunhill

Re: Are You Enjoying PowerPlay?

Postby Jack Dunhill » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Nope, not enjoying at all. I tried to do CG in a alliance space but got tired of constant interdictions. Im in it till i get prismatic shields and them im back to indepedent operator.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:30 pm

I also left due to constant interdictions outside Imp space. They were just too frequent, along with Cuomo (sp?) interdictions in ALD space telling me I'm in the wrong space. What?

I played to try out the weaps/shields, but I did check what the organizers wanted as far as fortify/expand targets. It came down to me spending 30 min 'buying' (instead of waiting) for leaflets to take from A to B to maintain Lvl 3. Boring. All I was getting out of it was extra interdictions, and extra money for BH, which I no longer cared about (had enough money).
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Wihglah
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Thomas Riker

Postby Wihglah » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:03 pm

I am enjoying the cash and the faction specific modules. But in truth, I can't wait to be done with it.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Jeffers2112 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 pm

From what I've read, I think that I'll continue to ignore it.....

Icpmcp
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Icpmcp

Postby Icpmcp » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:16 pm

I don't really enjoy it because I don't have as much time for this game as PP would need to be worth it.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 pm

I've been an ALD supporter in PP almost since PP started. I typically only maintain level 2, so that I get the BH bonuses. (40% this week).

I used to try to 'do the right thing' and work the far reaching expansion systems and travel great distances each session but then I realized that the mechanics really don't work right (IMO). So.... now I just hit the closest ALD expansion or opposing Power's expansion for my merits when I need them.

I spend about 1 hour every 2 weeks on PP. That keeps me at level 2, and I spend the other 99% of my E-D time doing whatever I want. I feel that the BH bonuses are worth the additional interdictions.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:37 pm

I've always thought 'enjoyable PowerPlay' was an oxymoron.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:45 am

Well that's kind of sad. I think PP has been out about a year and it's still broken and people (most around here anyway) only really play it for the bonuses. I did a little more reading and I'm still pretty disgusted with the whole BGS, and it seems that PP is more of the same. All the minor factions are the same - power hungry, corrupt, murdering bastards. The major powers don't seem any better. I suppose there are ways to play the game while wearing a white hat, but you can't keep it from getting smudged because of the people you must work for. I assume the Order offers the same type of missions? Maybe one of these days you will be able to support factions and powers that don't ask you to murder innocent traders and assassinate diplomats. Until then I'll just keep doing my own thing and generally support the Alliance and stay allied with the Federation and the Empire.

Hopefully the engineers won't also be power hungry, corrupt, murdering bastards. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:16 am

Tried it for a few weeks for bounty bonus again and not impressed.

When you just putter about in your combat ship its not that bad.
But try trading and I get interdict at least once every two runs, gets old real quick.

Move yourself in the common stripped down hauler?
Forget it. You'll be interdicted and killed before your submission fsd cooldown is half ways through.
If not in power play this never happens.

Pretty much to the point now that I suspect that if you aren't doing a mission or in power play, npc's won't interdict me.
At most once a month or something...

No PP remains the broken and moronic mess it was in 1.3 and the ones who was hardcore about it has pretty much thrown in the towel (those who tried to orginaze this herd of cats via the forums or Reddit.

It honestly should never have been implemented in this game considering its a fairly common MMO like feature.

But this isn't an MMO contrary to how FD's PR department wants to make it sound like.

Its massive yes.
Its multiplayer yes ,
but its not an MMO.
There is no way to organize players in the game, one of the most important features of an mmo.
No player economy, particularly between players or anything else.
If anything the multiplayer aspects work closer to that of a dark souls game rather than what we normally call an mmo.

So introducing an mmo feature like power play is beyond stupid in my opinion.

Doesn't help that all the power play "personalities" are the kind of rich douchebags I wouldnt piss on if they where on fire, and if possible.
Can I start the fire?

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “PowerPlay Discussion”