Lobowolven
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lobo Wolven
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

PP just isn't floating my boat

Postby Lobowolven » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi,

Perhaps I need someone to convince me that PP is worthwhile sticking with, but I've done it for 7 weeks now and I don't really feel I want to carry on with it much more.

I reached rank 5 with Patreus by my 3rd week and I was determined to keep up the 10,000 merits to get the bonus to allow me to upgrade my ship. So by fast tracking at 500,000CR a pop then in the end you don't really get much profit from the bonus. So I've been logging in, getting the 50 unit on the 30 min cycle, logging out and waiting the time, logging back in getting 50 more units etc, which is way too time consuming and in the end you get hit with more than a 50% merit degrade and start again. I simply don't have the time or the patience to continue on with it knowing full well that I lose so much each Thursday cycle. On top of that, regardless of the enemy faction ship you defend yourself against only earns you 400CR in bounty and I tried a military strike and spent way too long there to earn really not as much in merits as I would have hoped. It would be been so much nicer if you earn merits that reflect the ship you take out rather than also having the same value no matter what the ship.

That and I don't personally see anything else that really benefits me as I can easily make 50 million credits trading quicker that trying to grind for the bonus.

Am I missing something somewhere? :?

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Re: PP just isn't floating my boat

Postby Feldspar » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:47 pm

I tried PP, but it just seemed like effort and didn't let me do what I wanted to do.

As for gaining merits, sod lugging shit around for no fun at all, I hauled some lasers into another power's control system and flew about making sure everyone knew I had them. It was more fun and the 500,000 cred bounty on my head was amusing. But in the long run I wanted to do other things, so I threw off the shackles of political responsibility. The galaxy is too big a place to be bound by the whims of other people.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Lobowolven wrote:Perhaps I need someone to convince me that PP is worthwhile sticking with...

Nope, can't think of anything
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Lobowolven
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Lobo Wolven

Postby Lobowolven » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I think I might stick with the faction for a bit longer just to see if there's any real point, but certainly not to slog it out for rank 5 each week. I do have a life to lead after all.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:24 am

I tried pp for a couple of months (lavigny) and sure the bounty bonus was nice but grinding for level 5 sapped away any will i had to play for a week, I spent two days grinding merits and was utterly sick until Tuesday the next week and had to grind 5k merits to grind again.

Sure that one time I hit a good Res and made lots of moolah wasn't bad, but it certainly was not worth in the long run.

So unpledged and its fitting me just fine.

Honestly anything over rank 3 was a boring slog, and for what a couple of mil?
Money you could make faster freaking mining..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:34 am

I tried PP for a few hours and quite frankly I began to think that I was playing Elite:Gopher. If there is anything in this game that resembles real life then it's got to be PP - welcome to your new Job! :shock:
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:25 am

I played PP for 4 weeks just to get my Prismatics. After I equipped my ships I promptly bailed. Maybe once I get a cutter I might go back for another 4 weeks to equip her with a prismatic.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:50 am

I've never bothered with it, just didn't interest me.....

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:20 pm

I was quite intersted in it, actually. The basics have been attractive.
But I cooled down quite a bit. What I see as positive:
- It is attractive to hunt PPmerits in Crime Sweeps in a Wing since all get the same share as if hunting alone.
- If you need money, Rank 4 can be quite an interesting way to earn more, if you find good Crime Sweeps and, after 1.4, also wingmen (the NPCs might be very hard to beat in CSs otherwise).

Else, it has good foundations but lacks important details for interaction.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:40 pm

I've been doing PP for about 4 months. I typically maintain level 2. I've gone up as high as level 4, but it required too much time for me. At level two I get the bounty hunting bonuses, which is really all I'm after. It only takes me an hour or two of crime sweep killing every couple of weeks to maintain that level. Then I go do what I want the rest of the time, and receive 40-70% BH bonuses every time that I hunt in ALD space. The interdictions bug me sometimes, but mostly they are just a minor irritance.

I've done a few hours of solo Haz-RES hunting over the last few days, and because of the PP bonuses, I made an additional $4-6mil credits. Well worth my efforts to maintain level 2.

As far as changing the dynamics of the game, I don't know that any amount of single player input into power play will ever have that large of an impact. I just participate for the money. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “PowerPlay Discussion”