Wings, Subgroups, and Fleets supporting Powers
Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Really Overwhelmed with 1.3 PowerPlay

Postby Emanon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Anyone else having trouble absorbing it all? Call it daftness or old age, but I've read through the release notes and have been spending mornings with coffee waking up to reading all the new powers stuff and the leaders info and galaxy map updates and I don't even know where to start!

For instance I decided to travel all the way to Aslings area and start some power stuff with her in her #8 priority expansion system Yukan (or something like that) and when I get there the quests are just regular for "Yukan Freedom Fighters" (or something similar). I don't really know if I'm doing the quests for the power struggle and there is some sort of propaganda that I need to deliver to places but I don't even know where to pick it up at. Not to mention you earn the CC or that power currency but I don't see it on missions?

Perhaps someone has a good video you'd recommend watching? I've looked at some of CMDR Wheatley and Chaos Wullf videos to try and catch up but still struggling through it. :-(
CMDR Emanon

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Really Overwhelmed with 1.3 PowerPlay

Postby Xebeth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Emanon wrote:Anyone else having trouble absorbing it all? Call it daftness or old age, but I've read through the release notes and have been spending mornings with coffee waking up to reading all the new powers stuff and the leaders info and galaxy map updates and I don't even know where to start!

For instance I decided to travel all the way to Aslings area and start some power stuff with her in her #8 priority expansion system Yukan (or something like that) and when I get there the quests are just regular for "Yukan Freedom Fighters" (or something similar). I don't really know if I'm doing the quests for the power struggle and there is some sort of propaganda that I need to deliver to places but I don't even know where to pick it up at. Not to mention you earn the CC or that power currency but I don't see it on missions?

Perhaps someone has a good video you'd recommend watching? I've looked at some of CMDR Wheatley and Chaos Wullf videos to try and catch up but still struggling through it. :-(

The PP missions are not on the Bulletin Board, they are from the Power section in your contacts.

So from what I have gleamed from working for her sister, is that you pick up preparation missions from control systems, for Arissa Lavigny-Duval I have to take 'intel' from a control system to a system being prepared. For fortification, I have to delivery supplies from her capital system to the control system being fortified. I haven't done any actual expansion missions, but I assume you also get these from a control system.

It seems that the capital system and the control systems are where the missions are, exploited systems seem to just be there to make money for the power.

These are just assumptions based on what I have seen so far.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Senex VII
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Senex VII

Postby Senex VII » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:32 am

Emanon wrote:Anyone else having trouble absorbing it all? Call it daftness or old age, but I've read through the release notes and have been spending mornings with coffee waking up to reading all the new powers stuff and the leaders info and galaxy map updates and I don't even know where to start!

I think you're to be entirely forgiven! The release comes without a manual update. The in-game documentation has many ambiguities. And that's on top of things like "when-is-a-fine-not-a-fine".

Relax. You're not alone. :)

Emanon wrote:Perhaps someone has a good video you'd recommend watching? I've looked at some of CMDR Wheatley and Chaos Wullf videos to try and catch up but still struggling through it. :-(

There are some official Frontier training videos on Powerplay. At the time of writing there are three videos; we're waiting for the fourth. Do not feel embarrassed if you have to stop sections and replay them! You'll find them in this thread:
http://www.elitepve.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2264 (Scroll down.)

Hope that helps! :)

Edit: Fourth video now available.
Last edited by Senex VII on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbanax
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Arbanax

Postby Arbanax » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:27 am

If I might add part of the problem is that we don't really know what the relative benefits and drawbacks of pledging in the long term are and that what is there is buried in not so easy to follow, vague or complex instructions. So I have held back for not really understanding it as well. You are not alone.

On the other hand I have other reservations as well firstly this seems all very unenlightened and also grindy. Yes there is a larger narrative going on, which is a start. However I am still not sure if pledging to one group means being enemies with all other 9. Does that mean I get treated worse when travelling outside of my powers territory?

And the current missions seem to be shoot this person down (not because they're a bad person who needs to feel the consequences of the law but because their our political enemy today and might be our ally tomorrow) or retrieve take this type of missions. There seems to be a lot of other stuff that is less showy that is worth getting into, and let PP mature a bit more before I get into it. Part of me thinks that whether I participate or not, these things will go on without me, and very little real change will occur with or without my efforts anyway - at least that is the impression I got from the PP videos. So I think there is no shame nor need for pressure to get in, just sit this out and wait and see what develops. It'll unravel or get straightened out as we go on, I hope.

Ab

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:00 am

Arbanax wrote:Does that mean I get treated worse when travelling outside of my powers territory?

AFAIK, yes. People from other powers can attack you on their territories without becoming wanted for it. The opposite it true too, of course.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks for the feedback all. I did find the ED tutorial videos last night as they were posted new and watched those and messed around a bit more. Stuck with my chosen Power and now starting to understand the different phases of help and what things to do for them (in my case its almost all about vouchers so sort of trading). I found that you do become a "lawless" or immediate enemy to the opposing faction and are an easy target.

We should update our group policy if we haven't already because I can see how this will cause some turmoil because people won't realize they are doing something wrong if the other player is red already. they will think its like picking sides in the conflict zone.
CMDR Emanon

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:46 am

Flip wrote:
Arbanax wrote:Does that mean I get treated worse when travelling outside of my powers territory?

AFAIK, yes. People from other powers can attack you on their territories without becoming wanted for it. The opposite it true too, of course.

Does anyone know if travelling in a system outside the Powerplay 'bubbles' is hostile? I'm thinking of locating my ships in a neutral station on the outskirts in case I switch sides some time in the future.
Last edited by Cmdr Ant Kingsmill on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stummies
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stummies

Postby stummies » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:07 pm

I've been having a real hard time with it so far. Changed power last night, tried to undermine, blew up a few ships, didn't get any merit points even though they were what I had to find and now I'm 13k bounty in that system. As of now I've decided to forget about PP for now until a few cycles run and things settle. Sounds shitty but I'm going to wait for others to guinea pig and write some FAQs, my total balance keeps slowly dwindling as I try to find my place in 1.3.

BrocMcGregor
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Broc "Badger" McGregor

Postby BrocMcGregor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:51 pm

I hope two weeks isn't considered necro-posting on these forums - especially when it comes to stuff as big as Powerplay...

so I'm an anthropologist who loved my sociology, criminology, psychology, and political science courses.

So when I say that I feel the OP in his being overwhelmed, I hope you understand the severity of that statement. I feel you, I do.

I've spent the better part of the past month going through the GalNet (read every article), read through and watched anything I could on PowerPlay, and still I'm at wit's end in a way because I don't know who to side with. I know who I do NOT want to side with. But who to choose to be with, has been difficult.

on the same token though, it's kind of awesome we have these NPCs that have their ways, and agendas, alot of which we have no clue truly about.

Is Petraeus flirting and trying to undermine Aisling, or are they putting their differences aside in spite it all (opposites attract and all that)... or is Aisling truly that good at politics and until now has just kept her hear to the ground and is now playing the field? I know for a fact her Angels are showing that side of things.

Or how about Hudson/Winters and the Federation? Are they in fact "united" ? Or is it the Democrats and Republicans singing Koom-by-ya all over again like they did on September 12th? (And yes, I'm jaded, and American, deal with it lol).

Yeah, there's so much out there. Honestly a part of me can't help but feel the fan-comic Fangs.ink nailed it in a way: https://fangs.ink/07.html

I dunno :D it's fun to check out. I've now met people here that have proven just how profitable it can be "on salary."
one of ElitePVE's "Turbulent ChildrenTM"

Return to “Powers”