Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: how do you control the game

Postby DarkMere » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Wow who would not like a set up like yours TorTorden. When I moved into my current place I had a X52 Pro Flight Simulator Controller which was no longer practical, so I gave it away (wish I had kept it now), and I bought a cheap Thrustmaster T-Flight. My desk is about 3.5 inches higher than a normal desk as I wanted a bigger desk size and so fitted a new top on top of the old one. Fitted on stilts to give me storage space under the desk top. Anyway reading this thread it became oh so clear what was causing stress pain in my arms, so I decided I had to come up with a solution.

I have two very big problems, first is space and second is money :lol: . Whatever solution I came up with had to be cheap and also had to be removable, so I built the little set up below from my scraps of wood, my hotas, a £5 numerical keypad and some key-top stickers from my sister. I can fit or remove it in less than 30 seconds, and when fitted it clips in under the lip of the table top and is very tight. The hotas is the same level as my chairs arms and what a difference, totally pain free now.

Only negative thing is, when not using VR (I can't seem to tolerate more than an hour with the headset on), I am 6 inches further away from the screen, but its hardly noticeable. The little key-top stickers and the reference panel are only for show as I can find the keys I need with the headset on with no problem at all. So to the guys on this thread who linked my arm pain with hotas hight. Thanks for making me pain free :)

My setup before

My slide in desk section

The end result

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:53 pm

that's GG ^^

Regarding non-VR sessions, if your monitor has VESA mounting threads, you can use one of these babies for example :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Monitor ... pons&psc=1

Monitor far back when working, and tuuuuuug that screen closer when leaning back playing Elite.
Good thing is, besides being way more practical, it frees a lot of space on the desk.
It's what i use, highly recommend if you can spare the coin :) (just watch out for cable lengths. If they are too short already, longer replacements are a cost to consider..)

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:22 pm

LeDoyen wrote:that's GG ^^

Regarding non-VR sessions, if your monitor has VESA mounting threads, you can use one of these babies for example :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Monitor ... pons&psc=1

Monitor far back when working, and tuuuuuug that screen closer when leaning back playing Elite.
Good thing is, besides being way more practical, it frees a lot of space on the desk.
It's what i use, highly recommend if you can spare the coin :) (just watch out for cable lengths. If they are too short already, longer replacements are a cost to consider..)

What a flipping good idea, in fact the wall is only a few inches behind the monitor, (solid brick wall) I could use am wall mounted version.
Wall Mounted Version

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Well, I'm out of commision.

The cat just chewed through my throttle usb cable, and severely damaged the cable on both sticks..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:32 am

TorTorden wrote:Well, I'm out of commision.

The cat just chewed through my throttle usb cable, and severely damaged the cable on both sticks..

Well that means that right at this very second, I have a better set up than you do :D

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Yup.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:16 pm

So you got a replacement then Tor........

Cat I mean.......

My remaining co-pilot died (We murdered) in April.....3 days before her 20th Birthday.....

Not planning on anymore in the near future......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler

Postby SockFiddler » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 am

Tortorden
Combat Rank: Competent

Hahahahaha.

Edit: Was trying to come up with something smart-arsed but not too bitchy for you, Kharma. Can't do it. Therefore, just know I'm sorry about your cat, you fucking lunatic.
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:20 am

Indeed, new co pilot to dig into thighs while trying to coordinate turns or latch onto my arms as I try to roll.

He does know how to strike a pose though:

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

DarkMere
Master
Master

Postby DarkMere » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:23 am

Typical cat, super cool.

Return to “General Discussion”