Want to grind your Imperial Rank from nothing to Duke in 24 hours?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Chapterhouse
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Darrin Scroyle
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Want to grind your Imperial Rank from nothing to Duke in 24 hours?

Postby Chapterhouse » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:02 pm

So I recently finished my Federation rank grind, and swore I would never do that nightmare again for the Empire, which had not been touched at all. A few weeks later, I wasn't using the Corvette much anymore because of that terrible jump range, and I start eyeing that Cutter. It was calling for me.

I looked up the best systems to use and found Ngalinn/Mainani, which was pretty close to where I was hanging out anyways, and decided to check it out and see. Ngalinn's one station requires a ship that can land on a medium landing pad, so I left my Anaconda at home and took out my new Krait Phantom for a spin to find out.

I was astounded at how many data courier missions spawned in Ngalinn without even board flipping. 4 factions are allied to the Empire, which was a huge help. Even crazier were the donation missions. I probably spent almost 80 million just on those damn things, which is a lot of credits, but it made things go so fast. So obviously to take advantage of this huge perk you need to have deep pockets. I was able to grind it out in less than 24 hours, partly because I work a night job and can do whatever most of the night, so I play Elite sometimes, and spent most of my shift grinding rank.

I figured i'd throw this out there for anyone thinking about doing this, as it is a daunting task starting from scratch like I did. This was still a miserable grind, but it didnt take 4 days of grinding to just finish the last 4 ranks needed for the Corvette in Ceos/Sothis, which I now realize is not a good choice from only having 1 allied faction to get missions from. Hopefully this post helps at least one person not torture themselves trying to experience this exciting content, because I know the pain.

Fly Safe Commanders,

o7 CMDR Darrin Scroyle
Last edited by Chapterhouse on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Re: Want to grind your Imperial Rank from nothing to Duke in 24 hours?

Postby tinnitus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Good to know that it still can be done in 24 hours. Almost makes me sick when I think of hauling Cargo a couple hundred LY from Ceos/Sothis to earn credits - not that long ago one could grind a billion+ credits in 24 hours. Using my Cutter less today, enjoying outpost runs in the Python.

regards
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:27 pm

This is why the game has become bollocks.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 pm

It's always been bollocks.

But I fail to see how a corvette has to short a jump range.

You can go pretty much anywhere with 30 ly.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:01 pm

There has always been 'shortcuts' and 'get rich quick' schemes, and they are generally dull and pointless. Yes you get your new shiny quicker, but to what end, it's not like there is any endgame to rush towards.

As the OP says "This was still a miserable grind", fine if you really want to, but personally I've never seen the point of doing something "miserable" that open up little to no game play.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Chapterhouse
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Darrin Scroyle

Postby Chapterhouse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Xebeth wrote:There has always been 'shortcuts' and 'get rich quick' schemes, and they are generally dull and pointless. Yes you get your new shiny quicker, but to what end, it's not like there is any endgame to rush towards.

As the OP says "This was still a miserable grind", fine if you really want to, but personally I've never seen the point of doing something "miserable" that open up little to no game play.

I completely agree with what you said. I have been playing elite for a few years now, and for a very long time I had no interest in the rank system at all, I just had fun and did what I wanted. Now that I am at more of an endgame type of position, and I've experienced most of the different types of gameplay E:D has to offer, I figured there was no reason to spend a lot of time grinding rank, there are far more fun things to be doing. So i spent the shortest amount of time possible doing it, knowing I wouldnt buy the ship right away, but I needed to take advantage of that motivation.

I'm saving up a bit more before I buy the Cutter, so I can outfit her properly, and I'm excited to fly her. In my opinion, if you have experienced the content, and have played for a while, there is no reason making credits/rank quickly should not be a thing, unless its to an absurd level, like 1 billion an hour. I think everyone with a brain would be against that. However, I do think some of the nerfing of gold rushes was a bit much, but oh well. Credits are still easy to earn.

TorTorden wrote:It's always been bollocks.

But I fail to see how a corvette has to short a jump range.

You can go pretty much anywhere with 30 ly.

You're right, relatively speaking the jump range isnt that terrible, but I've gotten so spoiled in my Conda. I do VERY much enjoy flying the Corvette though, as her handling is so much better than the other two. Plus the look with that silver paintjob...

Victorysmine
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Victorysmine

Postby Victorysmine » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:11 pm

Chapterhouse wrote:So I recently finished my Federation rank grind, and swore I would never do that nightmare again for the Empire, which had not been touched at all. A few weeks later, I wasn't using the Corvette much anymore because of that terrible jump range, and I start eyeing that Cutter. It was calling for me.

I looked up the best systems to use and found Ngalinn/Mainani, which was pretty close to where I was hanging out anyways, and decided to check it out and see. Ngalinn's one station requires a ship that can land on a medium landing pad, so I left my Anaconda at home and took out my new Krait Phantom for a spin to find out.

I was astounded at how many data courier missions spawned in Ngalinn without even board flipping. 4 factions are allied to the Empire, which was a huge help. Even crazier were the donation missions. I probably spent almost 80 million just on those damn things, which is a lot of credits, but it made things go so fast. So obviously to take advantage of this huge perk you need to have deep pockets. I was able to grind it out in less than 24 hours, partly because I work a night job and can do whatever most of the night, so I play Elite sometimes, and spent most of my shift grinding rank.

I figured i'd throw this out there for anyone thinking about doing this, as it is a daunting task starting from scratch like I did. This was still a miserable grind, but it didnt take 4 days of grinding to just finish the last 4 ranks needed for the Corvette in Ceos/Sothis, which I now realize is not a good choice from only having 1 allied faction to get missions from. Hopefully this post helps at least one person not torture themselves trying to experience this exciting content, because I know the pain.

Fly Safe Commanders,

o7 CMDR Darrin Scroyle

Great tip. Roughly 9 hours game time, 200 mil in donations + data missions, and get Duke rank from 0 rank. Been playing this game for about a year now and pushing through most of the grinds that make most ppl quit. There are so many things I enjoy about this game, and when a grind becomes less grindy I consider it a gift.

Keep your stick on the ice!!!!

Quinnlyn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Thalestr

Postby Quinnlyn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 am

I really really wanted a Clipper (I know they're not ideal, but I find them really pretty) but I have no love for the Empire so I just wanted to get it over with quickly.

I was going to head over to the usual grind spots that I read about until I accidentally stumbled across the Herengul system. The system has 2 outposts that are so close together that they basically orbit each-other, and both of them had several factions in Boom state. For some reason, 80% of the delivery contracts were to deliver to the station that was just a minute away... and they paid BIG. 6 mil to deliver 50 Superconductors? Sure! (Granted, I had upped my status with them to friendly/allied).

I just loaded up my Krait with tons of these missions and made millions, even when picking the Reputation+++++ option. Went from 0 to Baron by lunchtime and basically got enough dosh to pay for the Clipper itself. Fun!
Mobius America group. Feel free to send a friend request ingame!

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I spent a couple hours there last night and this morning, not for rank, rep or coins but these missions usually toss out Elite Condas for interdiction fun if you are willing to spare the extra killing time. The Python fights well with a belly full of cargo. Thanks for the information.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

CmdrFrengus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CmdrFrengus

Postby CmdrFrengus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Starting to get pretty bored of the rep grind now. The problem is all those new war-missions in the conflict zones that fills up the mission boards as quick you are allied. Killing 90 ships in the war zone for just some rep is not really worth it (if you are not grinding for Elite in combat there is).
Plan to start running passenger missions tonight just to variate some.

The good thing - when this rep grind is over - hopefully no more rep grind ever :)

Return to “General Discussion”