Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

A Squadron ?

Postby tinnitus » Sun May 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Obviously I am confused, how can a single player play Squadrons? It is either Group Squadrons or Open Squadrons, if it is set to Open will that appear on the Game Menu as Open Squadrons or just as it is now Open Play?
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Judson
Master
Master
CMDR: Judson

Re: A Squadron ?

Postby Judson » Mon May 21, 2018 10:26 am

I dont think being in a squadron has anything to do with what mode you play, correct me if I am wrong.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 am

Also the squadron update has no actual content in it. Solo or otherwise.
Just the now added guild framework.

No content, outside what's already in the game.
And guilds. half the reason why I left Eve online in the first place.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Mon May 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Then it will be purchasable ships the Fleet Carrier a base with space wheels (mobile) which requires a group to maintain the Carrier maintenance of some sort. So yeah Tor a Guild the reason why I quit WOW as a new player who gets to die many times a day as a Solo player or join a Guild for protection. It will be interesting seeing how it is introduced into game and how well it will play without training wheels before going live.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 22, 2018 9:12 am

All of that is still barely at the drawing board.

No matter. guilds or no guilds.
The game simply break itself as soon as you start putting more than four people in an instance for any period of time.
Imperceptibly at first, then random npc oddities, physics glitches and least of all.
Terrible framerate performance.

If most players are docked this is somewhat curbed, but trust me, still just a full wing of players in a res can lead to weird.
The more players and the weirder it gets.

Adding guilds aren't going to fix this since it is a side effect of a core game design.
No real solution will be found without redesigning the entire online multiplayer mechanic from scratch.

It's just a little silly how some of these game designers fail to realise that ED has more in common with the online mechanic of Dark souls/Bloodborne than any mmo.
The instancing mechanic itself is ensuring this.

It's for instance why factional warfare, Power play feel so out of place.
It's a classic MMO feature in a game that can barely qualify for co-op.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Tue May 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Speaking of instancing, we attempted a few times at a ZRES in the Alcor, only took a few minutes until the fight moved closer to the Ice Fields rotation was sluggish, Lasers fire had hick-ups and a rock spawned above the nose of the vette. Not good pickings there mostly eagles, vipers, Db and aps. More security arrived larger ships and the vette started flying like a cutter. Left swap ships went to Aditi checking that out for possible weekend fun but I think Bubble work would be better. Winging up has problems for me always some performance issues may be good at first but do not take long for things to go south. Well if squads are going to cost server lag, oddities or other issues minor or major the community will react. Mission Board has been painful again the last few days and thats an old issue.

side-note I use to not like ships if long in nose, well that was silly, i did an explorer anaconda a and a combat Federal Corvette - I sleep in the Corvette if I could amazing killing ship can clear a field like a stinky fart in a room.
Image]

Return to “General Discussion”