Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Doum76
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Small question about multi-ships owned by a CMDR

Postby Doum76 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Greetings guys,

Since i<m pretty new to this game since 2 weeks, first was wondering if people still play this game as it<s getting old, yep, had to get into VR and ED after it<s getting old. :)

Second, i know we can have many ships, but what i wann know is:

1- A single CMDr can have many ships, right?
2- Wil all ressources/material being shared upon ships
3- Will rank progress being shared aswell? (Explorer, Pilot etc..)
4- We can hangar them, but wil i be able for exemple, store one in a station/landfal close to a planet i want a ship to be clsoe to for surface mining prospecting, and when i wanna jump in and do some bounty huntinf in a RES way far apart the galaxy, i can simply hop in my other ship and head to that site and if i want on another ship to salvage, i simply log into that third ship another far away part from the galaxy and do my things? Instead of for now, having one and traveling over 30 system to do my deed as i am unlocking enginers and gathering materials, but once engineers are unlock, i could grab another ship for stuff like smuggling etc..

Thanks.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Small question regarding multi ship owned by a CMDR

Postby TorTorden » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:34 pm

You can own hundreds of ships.
Only one can be used at any one time though.

You are a pilot.
Not your ship, so rank data etc follow you.

Materials for engineering or synthesis are carried on your person. Like in your fanny pack, so always with you.

Ship cargo needs cargo space, if you carry 30 tons of laxatives, the other ship will need to have that much cargo space to allow you switching into it.
If not, you need to ditch the cargo.

You have no magic way to transport around the universe.

If you park one ship in sol.
it is in sol.
To use that ship you must travel there.
The hauler see a lot of use for this, it's cheap and with stock parts can jump 32ly when stripped.
Just sell it when you get wherever.

You can however have the ship shipped to you, which costs money and takes time.
The time for shipping depends on distance.
Cost, on distance and value of the ship, including modules.

Say having my vulture shipped from the bubble to the Pleiades takes an hour, and cost a few hundred thousand.
My corvette takes also an hour but cost 20 million to ship.

If you have a favourite hunting grounds for bounties.
you cannot leave a ship there, and instantly jump back into it.
You have to travel back yourself using whatever ship is at hand.

So when you go 10k ly out exploring.
You will have to travel the 10k ly back.

But you can have three ships. 1 for say mining, 1 for bh, and a third 'shuttle' with long range to travel quickly between the two.

Like mentioned the hauler is a popular cheap choice, if you want to invest more you can use a dbx, asp etc etc.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Doum76
Harmless
Harmless

Re: Small question regarding multi ship owned by a CMDR

Postby Doum76 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:02 pm

TorTorden wrote:You can own hundreds of ships.
Only one can be used at any one time though.

You are a pilot.
Not your ship, so rank data etc follow you.

Materials for engineering or synthesis are carried on your person. Like in your fanny pack, so always with you.

Ship cargo needs cargo space, if you carry 30 tons of laxatives, the other ship will need to have that much cargo space to allow you switching into it.
If not, you need to ditch the cargo.

You have no magic way to transport around the universe.

If you park one ship in sol.
it is in sol.
To use that ship you must travel there.
The hauler see a lot of use for this, it's cheap and with stock parts can jump 32ly when stripped.
Just sell it when you get wherever.

You can however have the ship shipped to you, which costs money and takes time.
The time for shipping depends on distance.
Cost, on distance and value of the ship, including modules.

Say having my vulture shipped from the bubble to the Pleiades takes an hour, and cost a few hundred thousand.
My corvette takes also an hour but cost 20 million to ship.

If you have a favourite hunting grounds for bounties.
you cannot leave a ship there, and instantly jump back into it.
You have to travel back yourself using whatever ship is at hand.

So when you go 10k ly out exploring.
You will have to travel the 10k ly back.

But you can have three ships. 1 for say mining, 1 for bh, and a third 'shuttle' with long range to travel quickly between the two.

Like mentioned the hauler is a popular cheap choice, if you want to invest more you can use a dbx, asp etc etc.

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what i tought, but wanted to make sure. Guess i'll simply grab a DBX, when i wanna travel far to go surface exploring etc.. then coming back to my main ship. for now i'm having a Viper 4, with more or less 16-17ly travel.

Thanks

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Small question about multi-ships owned by a CMDR

Postby TorTorden » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Pretty much only requirement for surface exploration is the srv and you only need a class 2 slot for that.

Pretty much every ship I own from a viper to cutter has at last one SRV on board.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Doum76
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Doum76 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:49 pm

TorTorden wrote:Pretty much only requirement for surface exploration is the srv and you only need a class 2 slot for that.

Pretty much every ship I own from a viper to cutter has at last one SRV on board.

Yep.

Seems getting my DBX was way earlier than i expected lol, was working on unlocking Lei Cheung, had the surprise when i got to him this morning that i complet haven'T reliased i'd need 200t Gold to unlock him.. so, no choice, grabbed a DBX to speed up the crago transport as i didn'T have enugh money for an ASP, DBX looks cool and i was able to upgrade it a bit, until i'm done paying all the gold, pretty much quiped now, only need to get him a Fuel Sccop to have all the requirements i'd need to do some surface stuff. I'm still learning a lot, but love this game. :)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Doum76 wrote:Since i<m pretty new to this game since 2 weeks, first was wondering if people still play this game as it<s getting old, yep, had to get into VR and ED after it<s getting old. :)

ED is getting old? And here I am thinking it hasn't even been released as a proper game yet - more of an extended beta. :lol:
But that doesn't stop me from playing it.
It's time to give this another go.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:44 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:ED is getting old? And here I am thinking it hasn't even been released as a proper game yet - more of an extended beta. :lol:

Too right, but time is relative. Have you looked at your Time in Game stats recently? That's a reflection of how compelling a pastime ED is, irrespective of calendar time.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Walter wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:ED is getting old? And here I am thinking it hasn't even been released as a proper game yet - more of an extended beta. :lol:

Too right, but time is relative. Have you looked at your Time in Game stats recently? That's a reflection of how compelling a pastime ED is, irrespective of calendar time.

Now that I've finally got my throttle issue sorted, I may be spending more time playing ED than working. Thinking of early retirement so I can play even more, but waiting for the real game to be released first. :D
It's time to give this another go.

Doum76
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Doum76 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
Doum76 wrote:Since i<m pretty new to this game since 2 weeks, first was wondering if people still play this game as it<s getting old, yep, had to get into VR and ED after it<s getting old. :)

ED is getting old? And here I am thinking it hasn't even been released as a proper game yet - more of an extended beta. :lol:

I Call it old when you google stuff and most thread/post you find are 2016-2017, doesn<t help as well to see population on the server when they made all members always show offline. :) On my side, since i jsut got my Oculus 2 weeks ago, i call al the gmae i discover old, i feel like a kid having is first console video game and feels so happy, but then relised his brand new 8 bit NES is old and most people now has PS4 in some way of talking. :)

Each day that passes in his game that i doscover new stuff makes me love it. :)

Return to “General Discussion”