Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
lafzy
Novice
Novice
CMDR: lafzy
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Earth Like worlds are like buses...

Postby lafzy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:24 am

...you wait for ages then 2 come along at once! Twice!

Hi all - some spoilers below in terms of system details...

Just got back to the bubble after a 5kly trip to unlock professor Palin. I visited some lovely nebula, namely Witch head, orion and barnards loop, then out to the rosette nebula, where i came across an asteriod base, 'New Begining' 5kly out. I came back via California nebula, then stopped at HIP 17403 to pick up the necessary Sensor fragments.

This was my first exploration trip and i must say i thoroughly enjoyed it, especially after making the questionable decision to do back to back rank grinding - boy did that suck all the fun out of the game, a nice exploration trip was just the ticket to restore my enthusiasm!

I knew earth likes were rare, so i wasn't holding out high hopes of finding any. I made it out around 3kLy before coming across one, then to my surprise found another in the next jump - two back to back earth likes, both first discoveries! Didn't find any others on the way out, but the same thing happened on the way back; i only found 2 earth likes on the whole return journey and again they were back to back - anyone else have this experience?

I found the first two in the Pyurks region, if anyone wants to know its Pyurks IB-F c27-1 and Pyurks TQ-B d14-0. Thinking maybe it was a haven for earth likes, on my way back from Rosette, i did a bit of exploration of that region, visiting maybe another 50 systems there - not one more earth like to be found!

I stopped looking after that and headed to the California nebula, and on the way came across two back to back earth likes, i think it was in the Flyooe Eohn region, one of which had been discovered by someone already - i didn't note the system details for those ones as by then the excitement of exploring had subsided a little and i wasn't making notes/screenshots of most jumps!

Anyway, here's to all you intrepid explorers, i now know what i've been missing! Going to start planning a trip out to Sag A at some point soon.
I might even be brave enough to leave all the weapons behind so i can jump longer distances!

Fly safe commanders!
Attachments
Elite Dangerous_20180417192040.jpg
Elite Dangerous_20180417192040.jpg (157.22 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Elite Dangerous_20180417192718.jpg
Elite Dangerous_20180417192718.jpg (114.68 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

lafzy
Novice
Novice
CMDR: lafzy
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Earth Like worlds are like buses...

Postby lafzy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm

In case anyone is interested my conda, Pendragon, was kitted out roughly as follows (from memory as im currently sat at my desk procrastinating and trying not to work!):

1 huge multicannon, engineered
2 large beam lasers, efficient
2 med beams, efficient
2 small beams, efficient

2 class A shield boosters, engineered to be lighter
2 heat sinks
Point defence

Lightweight alloy
7A engineered Power Plant
6A engineered thrusters, legacy modded to g3 clean drives
6A level 5 engineered FSD
5d life support
6A engineered power distributor
8D engineered sensors
class 5 fuel tank

7b fuel scoop
6A engineered shields
class 5 cargo racks
class 4 spare fuel tank
class 3A AFMU (switched off the whole time and never needed)
2 Bay SRV hanger
engineered planetary scanner
advanced discovery scanner
docking computer
military compartment - class 4 engineered hull reinforcement

I know i could have gone lighter to jump further, but i was very happy with the 42LY max jump range on this build, and i was happy to compromise given that i could defend myself if needed (this was my first exploration trip so hopefully my caution is understandable!)

I had decent jump range, hull strength over 1000 and shields of around 800. Never used the weapons once, although the shields were handy when i belly flopped into a planet when trying to land!

-

Return to “General Discussion”