Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Jeoram
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jeoram
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Noob help

Postby Jeoram » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:44 pm

I would like some input. I’m a long time mmorpg gamer - UO, EQ 1&2, DAOC, Rift, and many others. I went to Xbox to not get divorced (Fallout and Elder Scrolls can pause). I loaded E:D on Xbox to prep for VR gaming in 3-6 months with VivePro. Am I on the right track? Is it too late to just start E:D? Thoughts?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Noob help

Postby TorTorden » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Elite is simply not an mmo.

It's got a lot of features that are close but not really.
It's multiplayer features are honestly like a mix between left4dead, or borderlands only without any story line.

Just 4 guys in a wide open galaxy, which is awesome enough.
For the other aspect of multiplayer it's closer to Dark souls and its randomly connecting ghosts.
Yes you connect fully, so you can shoot or crash with other players, but the instancing is happenstance.

It is perfectly possible that a group attempts to block a station in open, but only 0.001% of players would actually meet upon the blockade.

As for vive pro, well there isn't anyway that's going to work on the xbx for that you need a pc, preferably with 1080 or better.

As for keeping up. It's no problem you can merrily catch up on your own pace.
Modifying ships as you see fit, if you enjoy the game instead of focusing on the grind, which can honestly be a little worse than some MMO's, you can be in fully capable ship within a few weeks or months at worst.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Lanceor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:09 am

It's never too late to start Elite Dangerous - players are frequently resetting their accounts and starting from scratch just to start playing from the beginning.

However, this game isn't for most players used to MMOs...

• If you're looking for stories and quests that guide you to your goal, you won't find any. You're just stuck in the middle of space with no instructions on what to do next.
  • If you want to be part of a fleet of players fighting off another fleet of players, you'll be extremely disappointed. Think of ED as more of a single player game where you sometimes bump into other players.
  • If you need some sort of constant level or skill progression, you won't find it here. Yes, there are ranks to be earned and credits to be made, but they are a side affect of your activities rather than a goal in itself.

But if you're content with a sandbox to build your own little sandcastles and not worrying (much) about what anyone else is doing, this may be the game for you. Before deciding to lauch yourself into the game, I suggest watching a whole lot of non-combat gameply videos on Youtube just to see what you'll be doing 90% of the time.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby *Al* » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:16 am

TorTorden wrote:Elite is simply not an mmo.

It's got a lot of features that are close but not really.
It's multiplayer features are honestly like a mix between left4dead, or borderlands only without any story line.

Just 4 guys in a wide open galaxy, which is awesome enough.
For the other aspect of multiplayer it's closer to Dark souls and its randomly connecting ghosts.
Yes you connect fully, so you can shoot or crash with other players, but the instancing is happenstance.

It is perfectly possible that a group attempts to block a station in open, but only 0.001% of players would actually meet upon the blockade.

As for vive pro, well there isn't anyway that's going to work on the xbx for that you need a pc, preferably with 1080 or better.

As for keeping up. It's no problem you can merrily catch up on your own pace.
Modifying ships as you see fit, if you enjoy the game instead of focusing on the grind, which can honestly be a little worse than some MMO's, you can be in fully capable ship within a few weeks or months at worst.

Just four guys in a mp having fun......

Return to “General Discussion”