Reported for sitting in a dock (apologies)

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Yakito
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Yakito
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Reported for sitting in a dock (apologies)

Postby Yakito » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Hello

I just received an email from CMRD Saberius about me being reported for occupying a landing pad.
I'd like to apologize. I am not very experienced in some mechanics and I only just recently came back to Elite. I did not know that a pad can still be considered occupied while you are in the garage below. I never had that issue on big stations because obviously they have so many pads, and I didn't even consider it while being in a smaller station.
So I do apologize. I requested a module delivery and went to watch a TV show. I kinda like the feeling of me still being in the game, connected and ready to move out at any moment. It's an odd thing.

I could not reply to the commanders that sent me a request to stop being a selfish arse, because they were offline when I got back.
So again, sorry. Even if it is a tiny bit sad that somebody went through the whole process of reporting me for it. It is a valuable lesson though. I am still learning Elite. I will join solo now, I didn't consider it before because most of my player interactions happen in stations, so I dont like missing the "o7".

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Reported for sitting in a dock (apologies)

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 pm

There's a lot to the game, and a lot of little quirks that don't make sense.

You'd think that if you move off the pad if you're parked on the lower level of an outpost, you'd be out of the way..... but sadly it doesn't work like that. :o

Thanks for taking the time to post an apology.

o7
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Yakito
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Yakito » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 am

JohnLuke wrote:There's a lot to the game, and a lot of little quirks that don't make sense.

You'd think that if you move off the pad if you're parked on the lower level of an outpost, you'd be out of the way..... but sadly it doesn't work like that. :o

Thanks for taking the time to post an apology.

o7

Yes, exactly. Like in a Chinese automated parking. Car is put on one of the levels and the "pad" serves just as a lift.. but nope :)

Tallon69
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Tallon69

Postby Tallon69 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:36 am

Yea, I've had an impatient person or two texting nasty stuff at me while I was sitting on an outpost pad, Explaining that "I just got here and I will leave when I'm done conducting my business" doesn't always work either. I guess their ships Head was broke and they really didn't want to ruin another suit. In all seriousness though, there are only a couple landing pads, so clearing them as soon as business is done is always appreciated, as well as being patient while waiting for a pad to clear.
I've always wondered what would happen if you log out while docked at an outpost, and when you logged back in and all the pads were full... Anybody know?
o7

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 am

When the solution to THEIR imagined problem is as simple as dropping to solo or changing groups.

I think it's the whiny bitches who can fuck off.
Saberius should never have bothered writing you an email.

As for logging in to occupied outpost.
The servers will simply create a new instance for you, in a way dropping you into a brand new quantum universe where the pad isn't occupied.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d

Postby b00st3d » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:07 pm

TorTorden wrote:When the solution to THEIR imagined problem is as simple as dropping to solo or changing groups.

I think it's the whiny bitches who can fuck off.
Saberius should never have bothered writing you an email.

As for logging in to occupied outpost.
The servers will simply create a new instance for you, in a way dropping you into a brand new quantum universe where the pad isn't occupied.

Agreed, if you're waiting for a pad and don't have time to wait for someone parked there, just log out. Personally, I have had to sit outside a Coriolis station for 10 min waiting for a large pad to clear. Rather than drop to solo, I just sat there and had a discussion with other commanders.

Xypherx
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: xypherx
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Postby Xypherx » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Where were you that it was that busy? I have never met a soul in the group. Once I saw someone far off at a CG and I only suspect that it was a player because I don't figure NPCs use Condas to mine. To think that the outpost could be so busy you had to wait seems strange. I also did not know that mechanic. I assumed that it was like a parking garage. o7

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 pm

at CGs it's very comon to find filled up coriolis or Orbis stations, lots of players inside, and transiting in and out :)

Not all CGs do that though, but all those i did in Mobius were busy

Yakito
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Yakito » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 am

Yeah, it was at the Community Goal. Othane or something like that.

Interesting opinions here. Now that I think of it, perhaps it was rude that somebody actually went and reported me for it.
If a pad was taken and I wanted to have it I would never message the commander saying "Dude, stop hogging the pad!" (almost exact quote).
I'd switch instances...
I wonder if I'd get a ban from Mobius for responding badly to this...

Somerled
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Somerled

Postby Somerled » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 pm

I agree 100% with Tor. The game has a mechanic that allows a way around this very issue.

It's happened to me a few times when visiting engineers. Arrive at the base and all pads are full, just log and try again in solo.
It would be more rude of me to ask other players, who will be engineering their modules, to move so I can dock.

It's even happened when visiting an outpost, in Solo, and it's full of NPC's. My docking request gets rejected because, apparently it's full. Should I then write an email of complaint to Frontier (naming the guilty NPC's) and ask them to investigate the anti-social behaviour of some of their NPC's? :P

I'm not the type of person who will sit there on a pad deliberately just to piss others off. But I have as much right to be there as anyone else.

It's probably the same people complaining about this who jump queues in real life - or worse.
Last edited by Somerled on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”