Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Elijah Winter
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Elijah Winter
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Need some help figuring out which ship

Postby Elijah Winter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 pm

I was watching videos at one point a while ago, looking at various things like exploration, bounty hunting, mining and so on. I bookmarked tons of videos. However it appears that the one I want to view now I didn't bookmark and can't remember what it was called or who it was by.

But the information I wanted from it I am hoping someone here will know. Basically while outfitting various ships for exploration the player would put heat sinks into the utility slots. However there was one ship that he said there was no need for them because the ship was almost impossible to overheat. I want to know what ship that might be.

Is there a ship that is very difficult if not impossible to overheat, even when fuel scooping, so that you don't need heat sinks?

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Re: Need some help figuring out which ship

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 pm

The diamondback explorer runs very cool and is probably the ship that was mentioned in the video.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Elijah Winter
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Elijah Winter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Thank you very much. Now to do some more reading and write down any more questions I have before I set out and see if I can find the answers before starting a new thread (or adding to this one).

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:54 pm

I have always around the need for heatsinks on exploration builds moronic.

They would be usefull in one situation and that would be if you really really fuck up and crash info a sun.
And for exploration purposes they are heavy on the mass and only carry 3 shots in the bank.
So regardless of whether you have heatsinks or not, if you go more than a few thousand ly you must fly as if you don't have any all.

Also now with engineering, you can apply a mod for heat efficiency on the power plant and make any build as cool as the DBX.
But also since explorations builds use very little power, they run inherently cooler than most regular builds.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Elijah Winter
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Elijah Winter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 pm

okay here is the last little bit of my questions...otherwise I am ready to risk going out. These few things I just want some clarification on.

I have watched some videos and read some guides. But I have some questions.

1 - Is there any benefit or reason to actually make planet landings? I do have Horizons and can do planetary landings, but it is never really explained in any of the explorer videos why I would want to do so. If I am just out scanning systems and planets why land on a planet? Am I missing something? Do I gain more credits when I turn in the scans if I have landed on a planet? Are there discoveries to be made on the planet that could benefit me?

2 - If I decide not to do the planetary landings, will I need a shield generator? Again the videos I watched mentioned equipping shields but only in the context of taking damage when doing planetary landings.

3 - And last question. The AFM units. It says they use their own ammo that can be purchased from stations or synthesized. I am assuming if I restock at stations that the ammo is stored in the AFM unit itself and not in cargo space? If I do not restock at stations then I assume I gather the materials needed for synthesis by landing on planets and finding them? This would explain the possible need for planetary landings I would assume?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am

On the subject of heatsinks - My last exploration trip took me from the bubble to Colonia, then to Sag A*, then to Beagle Point and back to the bubble, I used two heat sinks, one when the game exited me from a jump right between two binary stars (yes it still happens), and once when I screwed up because I was distracted (most of us are human and make mistakes).

Elijah Winter wrote:
1 - Is there any benefit or reason to actually make planet landings? I do have Horizons and can do planetary landings, but it is never really explained in any of the explorer videos why I would want to do so. If I am just out scanning systems and planets why land on a planet? Am I missing something? Do I gain more credits when I turn in the scans if I have landed on a planet? Are there discoveries to be made on the planet that could benefit me?

Synthesis materials, so for example ammo for an AMFU, or for jumponium (the name given for the materials needed to give your FSD a boost). However, also for the fun of it, if you are going to spend several weeks for months out then it breaks up the journey.

Elijah Winter wrote:
2 - If I decide not to do the planetary landings, will I need a shield generator? Again the videos I watched mentioned equipping shields but only in the context of taking damage when doing planetary landings.

Landing is the only reason to have a shield, and then you only need a weak one, you can get away without one, but again mistakes happen when landing. If you are never going to land, then no you don't need one.

Elijah Winter wrote:
3 - And last question. The AFM units. It says they use their own ammo that can be purchased from stations or synthesized. I am assuming if I restock at stations that the ammo is stored in the AFM unit itself and not in cargo space? If I do not restock at stations then I assume I gather the materials needed for synthesis by landing on planets and finding them? This would explain the possible need for planetary landings I would assume?

They carry their own ammo, and yes landing is needed for synthesis. AMFU used to be a bit of a debating point like heatsinks, however if you intend to use neutron star boosts then you will need one as you take 1 percentage point of damage to your FSD for every boost. When you get below about 75% then your FSD will start to play up.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

ApexWanderer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Guardsman Z
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Postby ApexWanderer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:17 am

If you fancy something bigger,the Type 10 runs really cold.I can engage fsd even whilst I'm fuel scooping-)
Xbox GT is Guardsman Z .

Elijah Winter
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Elijah Winter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:52 pm

thanks everyone, that answers all my questions. Just need a bit more credits and I am good to go exploring. YAY!

Elijah Winter
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Elijah Winter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:26 pm

The synthesis materials I collect on planets, do they go into cargo? I mean do I actually need to have a cargo hangar or do they just sort of go into the ship and I don't need an actual cargo hold?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Materials. Both from rocks and other bits go directly to your fanny pack.
No cargo required.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”