Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Chris Schofield
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Inactive Account (Can be deleted)
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Ship recommendations for a new player.

Postby Chris Schofield » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Hello I purchased elite dangerous this week currently i’m looking into getting a new ship and think the cobra mk3 would be a good start.

I’m thinking i could upgrade it for exploration as this is want to focus on, what would you recommend?

Tom Derrick
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Tom Derrick
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Ship recommendations for a new player.

Postby Tom Derrick » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi.

I think the Cobra Mk3 is a perfect start. You can do a bit of everything with it. Decent jump range, a bit of cargo, good module slots, and can handle all small ships in a fight.
The next step for exploration would be a Diamondback Explorer or an ASP Explorer, if you can already afford it.

I would skip the scout versions of both ships, as (in my opinion) the Diamondback Scout has only slightly better jump range than the Cobra but less (and lower grade) module slots. And the ASP scout I find a bit too expensive for what it offers. Especially for exploring the Diamondback Explorer has better jump range and twice the fuel capacity for half the price.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:29 pm

Cobra is a good choice for an all rounder.

If you are more interested in a dedicated combat ship though I would look towards the Viper mk3.
Same weapons loadout, significantly more manoeuvrable and half the price of a Cobra.

But in reality, just try anything you want, barring the occasional rebuy a ship is more like a downpayment on a lease with out of this world insurance.

So what you actually end up paying to try a ships is the 10% loss you take on the hull if you sell it again.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 pm

One more vote for the Cobra, I did all my first exploration in one
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ozjohnd
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby ozjohnd » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 am

I am no longer new but not elite either ... my progression, if I remember correctly

Sidewinder -> Hauler (did the rares loop for credits) -> Cobra -> Diamondback Explorer (did the Road to Riches run for more credits)

I now also own a Dolphin (my passenger/cargo all-rounder) and an ASP Explorer (more general purpose fit out than my long range deep space DBX)

.. and just yesterday I purchased a fully kitted T9 (for large pad trade runs) from a month's worth of Cartography data

Have not ventured down the combat pathway yet

Mynx
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mynx

Postby Mynx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am

I went from Sidewinder -> Eagle -> Viper IV -> Python

Cobra has a very good reputation. ASP Explorer is (as the name says) a good exploring ship.

bl00dh0und9
Competent
Competent
CMDR: bl00dh0und9
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Postby bl00dh0und9 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 pm

If you want to do exploring than my vote goes to the Asp Explorer. The Cobra is great early on and I'm sure can be engineered to an okay range, but if you take the time go with the Asp. That was my favorite ship for exploration, until I bought the Anaconda, and I was out in the not so black before engineers were a thing. The biggest thing for me is jump range. It allows you to get places quicker sure, but more importantly, it allows you to get home quicker once madness kicks in.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

the Asp is a lot more expensive really. Cobra 3 is imho the best stepping stone to it, and will make it easier to cash the milions required for an exploration build on an Asp.

Also if you have no regards for weapons, Type 6 is also a good jumping machine :)

Enlighten
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Enlighten

Postby Enlighten » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:55 pm

I went Sidewinder - Cobra - Keelback (with fighter bay). I've always tried to NOT grind, but sometimes there's no choice. I've also not gone for rapid ship progression and have every ship I ever bought, apart from a Federal Dropship that I financially ruined myself to buy (although I could have sold other ships if I wanted) - Not knocking the ship, but my advice is don't run before you can walk - its no use buying a ship and not being able to upgrade it because you sunk everything into buying the basic ship too soon.
I also - very unwisely - made the mistake of setting off on a 12,000 light year journey with my non- engineered Keelback - took over a week, somewhere between 1,400 and 2,000 jumps and taught me that exploring without maxing your jump distance is...stupi... Not wise.
I'd recommend choosing a base system (mine at present is Rhea) and doing local jobs only from that base station/system - this rapidly increases your standing in the system, which rapidly increases the credits offered for jobs, it also means accidental friendly fire on cops is tolerated for longer before they all turn on you - but don't push it - ten or more cops on your ass can be difficult to escape from (always have a plan for escape!)
The choice is yours but I'd highly recommend building yourself up a bit before going off on long explorations.

Quick fun credits in Mobius can be obtained from Bounty Hunting Community Goals - go to the system and try to wing up with whoever is there, if your lucky you'll find CMDRs with highly engineered ships, with Kill Warrant Scanners - I've seen payouts of 600,000+ credits for single Anaconda kills - that's for each person in the wing - if its say a Corvette, Anaconda, Krait and you in your Cobra in the wing and you get a good wing where your watching each others shields/backs you only have to get even a single shot in on the target - within the last 15 seconds and stay within a certain distance of the target and you'll still get the payout.
I've only recently started to wing up randomly and it can be hit and miss, many don't have or want to voice chat (but communication IMHO is essential), some may not speak your language, some may not work cohesively and a disorganised mess of a wing happens - but MOST times you'll earn a lot and enjoy a lot with some great people.
If you see me in a CG bounty system don't hesitate in asking for a wing - I can't guarantee accepting, I might be doing something else, I might be waiting for my wingmen to meet up - but if I'm not or if there's a free slot in the wing I have no problem even with a brand new Sidewinder player joining. A couple of the players I've become friends with even have the ability to regenerate the Wings shields for them, which has saved me a time or two. I didn't choose that Modification, but as a result I have added Repair limpets to my Anaconda's loadout to take care of any damage to me or my wing should our shields ever get dropped (not happened yet - due to having great pilots reparing my shields!)

Finally - NEVER fly without rebuy, as the rebuy screen with only a Sidewinder as an option is very demoralising (yes I've make that mistake too!) AND be ultra careful when out exploring as once you get back the credits for scanned systems is substantially more that your ship is worth and a moments lapse in concentration when jump, fuel scoop, jumping over and over is a risk to your ship, your exploration credits and your (in)sanity!.

ARIC'THEBEARD
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ARIC'THEBEARD

Postby ARIC'THEBEARD » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Enlighten wrote:apart from a Federal Dropship that I financially ruined myself to buy (although I could have sold other ships if I wanted) - Not knocking the ship, but my advice is don't run before you can walk - its no use buying a ship and not being able to upgrade it because you sunk everything into buying the basic ship too soon.

Its so much harder then people think. You see that credit amount go up and think, oh man I can finally buy X ship! I have that struggle every day I log in...lol I keep thinking of going from the cobra to the dropship, but I keep trying to tell myself to wait longer before buying it...lol

Return to “General Discussion”