Ship recommendations for a new player.

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Zermus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Zermus
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Ship recommendations for a new player.

Postby Zermus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:08 am

I'm more combat bounty oriented but I went:

Sidewinder > Viper Mk.3 > Keelback > Federal Gunship > Krait > Anaconda (Still currently outfitting)

The dropship is a complete waste IMHO, the Gunship with the fighter does more damage and the fighter pilot can help you when you're in a bind against a more maneuverable ship.

The Murphy
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Shinkick Murphy

Postby The Murphy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 am

Hey there,
I'Ve read this little thread so far and agree with pretty much everything said here.

The Cobra is a great ship to build up your credits and learn stuff about the game in general. It is a very good allrounder, possibly the best out there in its class. As has been mentioned before, if you go out exploring in this little tin can, be aware of your rebuy cost for the ship and its installed components. Especially if you have been out there for a while, mistakes can and will happen, as pretty much everyone will tell you ;)

If you risk the ship, have at least the amount of credits to rebuy it, if something fatal happens to it, I'd rather recommend having 2 to 3 times the amount if you know you'll do something risky. The learning curve in this game is rather steep and sometimes painful, but it's worth your while.
Still, you ALWAYS need to plan ahead.

That said, I agree that short of an Anaconda, which is insanely expensive to buy and outfit for a new player, if you want to do exploration then aim for the Asp Explorer. Great jump range, great maneuverability and it has decent module slots to play around with.
And once you gathered some materials, you should definitely look into engineering, especially the FSD jump range and surface scanners.

But.... the Cobra is a goddamn good ship. It'll treat you well, of you treat it well :)

Fly dangerously and don't hesitate to add me to your friends, commander o7

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come play Elite." - Morty (if he'd play E:D, hehe)

-- Playing on PC in Mobius Eurasia PVE, come find me! --

Kirk 1710
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Kirk 1701

Postby Kirk 1710 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:05 am

I enjoy trading and went from sidewinder to python which can hold 292 cargo space.

Return to “General Discussion”