Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Nothing new here - move along ...

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:59 pm

I was just visiting the official FD forums, and a thought suddenly struck me. More on that later.

I haven't played ED in months, and barely played it for the last year or more. I'm just waiting for it to become more interesting again - and for it to be dark on the dark side of planets in VR, which may have happened! So I'm thinking of getting back into the game now, or maybe wait for the big upgrade they are promising later this year, which I know nothing about. But I keep thinking I'd like to try open again. Since I don't really care about making/losing credits anymore - it's so damn easy these days - then I shouldn't really care too much about rarely losing a ship to griefers. I mean, I'll probably lose a ship to NPCs as well, now that they are engineered.

But then it struck me - all the assholes are in open. I mean, we have our share of asshats in Mobius, but other than the occasional twat PVPer who joins to screw people over until they get booted, Mobius is 'full' of nice people. I'm sure open has a lot of nice people too, but why bother with open if you have to deal with assholes?

No, I think I'll stick to Mobius when I restart, even though I still think it's a damn shame that we need to be broken up, and curse FD for it.
It's time to give this another go.

Orochimaru
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orochimaruh

Re: Nothing new here - move along ...

Postby Orochimaru » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:23 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I was just visiting the official FD forums, and a thought suddenly struck me. More on that later.

I haven't played ED in months, and barely played it for the last year or more. I'm just waiting for it to become more interesting again - and for it to be dark on the dark side of planets in VR, which may have happened! So I'm thinking of getting back into the game now, or maybe wait for the big upgrade they are promising later this year, which I know nothing about. But I keep thinking I'd like to try open again. Since I don't really care about making/losing credits anymore - it's so damn easy these days - then I shouldn't really care too much about rarely losing a ship to griefers. I mean, I'll probably lose a ship to NPCs as well, now that they are engineered.

But then it struck me - all the assholes are in open. I mean, we have our share of asshats in Mobius, but other than the occasional twat PVPer who joins to screw people over until they get booted, Mobius is 'full' of nice people. I'm sure open has a lot of nice people too, but why bother with open if you have to deal with assholes?

No, I think I'll stick to Mobius when I restart, even though I still think it's a damn shame that we need to be broken up, and curse FD for it.
Amen to that CMDR!

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
//"ye meet orochi crazy ass vulture pilot" ^^

Renown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Renown

Postby Renown » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Just on the dark side planet thing, I don't use VR but I got a darker dark side using EDFX and using the "reinforced contrast" setting to make the dark bits darker. Is that something you have looked into? Although there is supposed to be a new lighting model from Frontier coming later this year.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:But then it struck me - all the assholes are in open. I mean, we have our share of asshats in Mobius, but other than the occasional twat PVPer who joins to screw people over until they get booted, Mobius is 'full' of nice people. I'm sure open has a lot of nice people too, but why bother with open if you have to deal with assholes?

Care to rephrase that? :P There are Mobius Asshats (Us, The A-Team) and then arseholes. There is a HUGE difference. Asshats has always had a negative connotation, and we have been trying to change that. But comments such as these make it hard to change peoples minds. There are HUGE differences between Asshats and Arseholes. Call them what they are, but don't besmirch our beloved (okay, tolerated, spoken in hush tones, usualled with a flick of the head in our direction and a roll of the eyes when Asshats are mentioned) name....

Open will always have that stigma attached to it because there is no alternative sanctioned by FD. It took a player to see the shortsightedness and run with it. That is unfortunate, but it is the fact, and 99% of all the Open issues are committed by a scant few and it has been enough for most players, but not FD to change anything. Even a town of 50K will have a much lower crime rate than a town of several million.

I rarely go into open, and never do in a populated area. Just like I don't walk down dark alleys in the middle of the night.

It has been my experience that sitting in a pub with a couple of friends having a pint is much more enjoyable than sitting in the same pub alone. My thinking is that most people who play solo/group would have a much better time with a small group of like minded friends that can get along and have some fun without drama or BS. That is the basis for the A-Team. We welcome anyone in that is like minded. Yes, we are a bunch of immature gits, but we have fun and don't bother others.

Maybe that is what you are missing? Not saying you would be better joining us to play, but maybe finding your equivalent?
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler

Postby SockFiddler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Fly with us, Roger. Dare you :)
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Already Flown with Roger........

In the early days........

Good fun...Messing about.....

In a different game to what it is now........

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ozjohnd

Postby ozjohnd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:23 am

the dark side is dark on my no-back-lit 4K TV ;)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:32 am

Yeah, nothing new.

Old farts bitching about bugs getting fixed, and new features keeping a game interesting.

Sod off the lot of you.

When a game stops being fun, guess what I stop playing it. I also don't bother telling the people who still enjoy it how wrong they are to do so.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:29 am

I would not be playing the game if it wasn't for the A-Team. Really is a breath of phall air. If you used to enjoy the ritual abuse, swearing and non PC comradery of nights down the pub with good friends the guys give (and take) all that. The A-Team is not for everyone and indeed we don't take everyone, this is a very select gang of arsehats. Point of added value is this, if you can find a bunch of like minded folk have fun in a wing, make some pals (many times we just talk bio waste). Be a miserable old git in a group of friends rather than old your lonesome. It really is a great game but for me much better with my pals.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:45 pm

► Show Spoiler

And there was plenty of that last night.......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “General Discussion”