Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 3.0 Beta

Postby Xebeth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Well the new Thargoid Scouts are fun, instantly aggressive, relatively easy to kill with normal weapons, but those caustic missiles, now they are a kicker, got hit by two and just made it back to the station with 10% hull left
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Bigmaec
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: BigMaec
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Bigmaec » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Did you try burning it off? In 2.4 you can cancel out caustic damage by raising heat to 200%. Causes a bit of hull and module damage but that's totally worth it in the long run.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Relix Typhon wrote:I'm not sure how optimised the betas usually are but how are the new planet details etc affecting CPU/GPU usage?

no change whatsoever on FPS for me but so far it's only a recoloration.
When they start tweaking planet surfaces we'll see

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:34 am

Xebeth wrote:Well the new Thargoid Scouts are fun, instantly aggressive, relatively easy to kill with normal weapons, but those caustic missiles, now they are a kicker, got hit by two and just made it back to the station with 10% hull left

Yeah, they are fun! Use a decontamination limpet and you don't have to return to the station as quickly. They can be deployed whilst in super-cruise so makes it really convenient. I usually wait until I have wasted the little goid' buggars before repairing. Works a treat :D This is at least +1 for FD from me. However, the new Engineers grind.. enough said :!:
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:14 am

Xebeth wrote:Well the new Thargoid Scouts are fun, instantly aggressive, relatively easy to kill with normal weapons, but those caustic missiles, now they are a kicker, got hit by two and just made it back to the station with 10% hull left

Not sure this is relevant but I spotted it on reddit the other day:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous ... trategy_i/

It seems that for those thargoids, using silent running at a particular stage in the fight prevents them from launching missiles.

Edit: by those I mean the ones from live (in the video). No clue about scouts.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 am

I haven't done too much combat so when it comes to engineering I am a casual at best. Like someone already mentioned, this new system would make me spend a ton of materials to get to the same point I usually am with each ship. But then again, experimentals can now be bought. So far I have had a whopping one experimental effect on a weapon and it was something that was completely useless for me. I know I could have just bought one by lowering the level of the engineer but I did not want to. Also the increased material limit is nice to have.
It might be too early to say from my point of view if the engineers are going to be better or worse than now, but I think I'll be all right with them in time.

Right now I'm more interested about the new class 8 slot of Type-9. I really like the looks of that ship but Anaconda has been a better choice so far. But if there's gonna be an extra c8 slot.. that takes it to Cutter level of cargo space. Less defensive firepower and agility, but also less price, and no grind wall.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:26 am

Flying the Cheiftain. Not too bad. Manouverability seems pretty good. Shields suck but armour seems good (though 150T for reactive armour is a way too much.) Don’t know what people are talking about when they say it drifts. Brought it to a Haz Res, it did ok.
To me, the fuel tank is too small and it lacks internal compartments. After a 5A shield gen, 4A fuel scoop, SRV and ADS, I only had room for 32T of cargo. Currently I think she’s a pure combat ship and not much else. If you fit limpet controllers on her I wonder where you’re going to store your pirated cargo.
I doubt if I will get the Chieftain in live. She just doesn’t fit my play style.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 pm

I have Lvl5 DD on mine.....Spins on a sixpence.....And the best yaw of any ship.....

27.5 jump.....Shit tank as said and shields are deffo shite.........

I compare it to the FDL compartment wise......Juggling act depending on what you want to do.....

Will I get one in live......Doubt it......I'll stick with my Python

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 pm

they say it drifts because they are not used to that turn rate i guess.. so it looks like drifting :)

Internal compartments suck if you intend to use it for anything else but combat for sure.. 3 military grade is a tad much honestly. it's like locking it to military use (they got me there...).
combat players will fit SCBs and module reinforcement anyway.. if they unlocked one class 4 military to a class 4 generic, it would make it a pretty awesome ship to me

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:09 pm

uh please.

The chieftain drifts so much it positively has an implementation of 'flight assist light'.
It's bleeding brilliant.
But it responds quickly to thrust input in any direction so it doesn't tend to 'stall' in place as much as say the fer-de-lance.

For anyone who is comparing it to the python, you are all idiots.
The chieftain is closer to an improved FAS, and a competitor to the fer-de-lance, a contest it honestly wins easily.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”