Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 3.0 Beta

Postby Xebeth » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Deal wrote:
Have you got most of your engineering done apart from chasing optimal results?

I have, but I was approaching it in terms of engineering a ship from scratch, the Chieftain I'm using in beta is all new equipment, I got a whole chunk of Engineering done with just the junk I was carrying around, then once I'd got the hang of the traders I got a whole lot more done by just trading what I already had.

Would I want to do this with my fleet, absolutely not, but for one ship it is fine more or less.

Deal wrote:
There's also no mats trader for resources or data, as far as I can tell. I've just been trying to gather some cracked firmware and the prospect of having to do this up to 10 times more often has me reaching for the uninstall icon.

There is, RAW for materials (metals and chemicals), MANUFACTURED for, well manufactured items, and ENCODED for data. You can use the 'Services' filter on the galaxy map to see where they are (I think you have had to have visited the system first however, but I could be wrong on that point).
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Deal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Xebeth wrote:
Deal wrote:
Have you got most of your engineering done apart from chasing optimal results?

I have, but I was approaching it in terms of engineering a ship from scratch, the Chieftain I'm using in beta is all new equipment, I got a whole chunk of Engineering done with just the junk I was carrying around, then once I'd got the hang of the traders I got a whole lot more done by just trading what I already had.

Would I want to do this with my fleet, absolutely not, but for one ship it is fine more or less.

Deal wrote:
There's also no mats trader for resources or data, as far as I can tell. I've just been trying to gather some cracked firmware and the prospect of having to do this up to 10 times more often has me reaching for the uninstall icon.

There is, RAW for materials (metals and chemicals), MANUFACTURED for, well manufactured items, and ENCODED for data. You can use the 'Services' filter on the galaxy map to see where they are (I think you have had to have visited the system first however, but I could be wrong on that point).

Ok, thanks. It's a good job that making an idiot of myself on the internet is something of a hobby of mine.
It's clear I need to spend more time with it.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Beta 2 released with some changes to Engineering.

Full notes here, but in summary pinning a blueprint pins all the grades, the higher your rep with an Engineer the quick you progress through the lower grades, a number of blueprint results have been buffed.

Plus a whole bunch of other stuff not Engineering related

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:13 am

Xebeth wrote:Beta 2 released with some changes to Engineering.

Full notes here, but in summary pinning a blueprint pins all the grades, the higher your rep with an Engineer the quick you progress through the lower grades, a number of blueprint results have been buffed.

Plus a whole bunch of other stuff not Engineering related

I tested this the other day (once, ran out of mats for more).

Whereas before I typically required 3, 3, 3, 3, 1 rolls to get 1 roll in G5 on a new module or BP, with the new system I think it was 1, 1, 2, 3, 1.

This looks a lot better than it is since the benefits are felt at lower levels where fewer mats are used and they are easier to come by.

I reckon that if my result is typical, you will need 21 mats for 1 G5 roll vs 30 from the initial beta. For comparison, on live, to get one roll in G5 on 100 modules (any of which might be a god roll or even just very good), you need 300 mats. On the initial beta you'd need 3000 mats given 3 rolls per rank gain, and now you'd need 2100.

They went in high and dropped the requirements as a result of the (inevitable) outcry. Which is smart, but cynical imo.
The burning question though, is this: Since FDev make no money from people who stay and play longer (arguably the reverse is true), why would they slap a grindwall on the casuals?

I can't help but wonder if this is a precursor to some other changes that are pending. In F2P games, gameplay is riddled with pointless delays and timesinks, then you can pay your way out of your misery in the shop. Maybe there's some kind of micro transaction based material acquisition in the offing and they are setting the stage now?

Toshaka
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Toshaka

Postby Toshaka » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 am

I hope that wont be the case.
Cos I just up my engineers with different modules to get to G5.
Pretty nice to do.
In the new system it wil be alot harder to get to G5 on a single module.
What will happen to modules already primed in G5? Can you reroll them in the new system on just G5 or have to start from 1?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:29 am

Deal wrote: ...

I can't help but wonder if this is a precursor to some other changes that are pending. In F2P games, gameplay is riddled with pointless delays and timesinks, then you can pay your way out of your misery in the shop. Maybe there's some kind of micro transaction based material acquisition in the offing and they are setting the stage now?

Of course anything is possible, but I doubt it, early on before the game was first released the purchase of in-game items was debated at great length and it was decided that it would be limited to cosmetics only, FD have reiterated this a few times over the years, I think the introduction of any sort of pay-to-win would cause a huge shitstorm. There is also the fact that ED isn't F2P, you have to buy the game to play it.

Toshaka wrote:...
What will happen to modules already primed in G5? Can you reroll them in the new system on just G5 or have to start from 1?

If you "convert" any G5 mods to the new system they drop back to being G4 and you go from there.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm

My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Tweaking to the max is gonna cost ya.......

Just used 200 iron in beta.........

About 8/9 rolls on a level 5 to max it out.........

My Python is now a bitch........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 pm

New 3 Beam......

Level 5 access.........

21 rolls from zero to maxed out on efficient.............

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 am

Can’t wait for the beige plague to start fading into memory.

Looking forward to the new Engineers. Will do experimentation to see if my grandfathered modules are better or the new modified ones. Currently, trying to accumulate as much materials as the current system will allow. Also, looking forward to the materials trader (finally, chaff reloads.)

Don't think I'll be getting a chieftain though.

Return to “General Discussion”