Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 3.0 Beta

Postby Falcon_D » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Personally, I only tried the FDL once and the FAS once. I always tend to compare ships with the Python. And compared to the Python the Chieftain just isn’t for me.
It depends on your play style.
Me, tank when I have to, run when I want to, run rings when I feel like it, carry cargo, go exploring (just cause...).

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm really liking the Chieftain, it is pointless comparing it to the Python which stands in a class of it's own, it's better to think of it as the love child of a FAS and an FDL, closer to the FAS in terms of fire power and strength, but nearer the FDL in terms of manoeuvrability (probably better in fact).

And it most certainly drifts, or to be more accurate it yaws much faster than it turns (which is the same thing I guess).
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:05 pm

after doing some combat in it yep.. it does feel slippery, but it's pretty well balanced with its ability to boost almost constantly. It's really a special beast to fly.

I don't see why it's compared to the python either... comparing a combat ship with a multirole doesn't really work.

Managed to push it to around 35ly range with room for improvement. i guess one could use it for exploration..

Playing with engineering, the fact that we have to unlock the upgrades for each module doesn't make any kind of sense in a technical point of view.. boring as all hell but the end result is better then with the current system's god rolls. In the end, even with a fleet of like 14 ships, i think i'll bother converting only my most used ships to get really good stats on the modules i use most, the rest will stay legacy.

All in all i like the new system, and the materials trading makes the grind less painful. all these useless exquisite focus crystals will find some use, instead of being dumped. I can really stock on materials i use the most which is a REALLY great improvement.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Took the Chieftain to a RES, it was great fun. Did a bit more engineering using the Material Traders, this makes life a lot easier, you just need to pick up what every junk is presented for conversion later, this'll me the first time I've ever picked up material in a RES and actually it gave me something to do while waiting for the next target to come along.

I'm not saying thee system is perfect, but so far the changes to engineering do not appear to be the disaster that it first appeared, I think a few tweaks to the threshold at which you can go to the next grade and it'll be livable.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 am

Tried engineering, found it still to be a chore.
Not played with a Chieftain yet, I thought that I'd try out a T-10 Defender. More like Defenseless I thought.
I'm not great at Combat, but not totally useless either, I've gotten up to Master, and my mostly A-rated T-10 is not doing at all well.
Had one rebuy when I was attacked by half a dozen NPCs at once, and I've also had to run away a couple of times ....
Ah well, must be time to try a Chieftain!

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:30 am

TorTorden wrote:uh please.

The chieftain drifts so much it positively has an implementation of 'flight assist light'.
It's bleeding brilliant.

That's something I have longed for. Three flight modes. 1st as it is now, blue zone, slower turn rates at higher speeds - but keeps trajectory as close to the central axis of the ship as possible. 2nd Flight Assist Light (as you put it) or 'Slide' allowing full flight assist but keeps turn rates at maximum - meaning you would 'slide' while the ship thrusts to your new heading the danger is that you might have to come to a stop as you thrust in your new direction. 3rd FA-Off as it is now, but still allowing full turn speeds (have never understood why you need to be in the blue zone with FA-Off, you should just turn at what ever the thrusters are capable of).

The Chief is great fun to fly though as it flies much more as I would expect a computer assisted space craft to fly.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Xebeth wrote:Took the Chieftain to a RES, it was great fun. Did a bit more engineering using the Material Traders, this makes life a lot easier, you just need to pick up what every junk is presented for conversion later, this'll me the first time I've ever picked up material in a RES and actually it gave me something to do while waiting for the next target to come along.

I'm not saying thee system is perfect, but so far the changes to engineering do not appear to be the disaster that it first appeared, I think a few tweaks to the threshold at which you can go to the next grade and it'll be livable.

Have you got most of your engineering done apart from chasing optimal results?

I must admit, I can't see how a 900%* increase in material requirements per module is anything other than disaster for anyone who hasn't got their fleet up to a minimal G5 roll level already.

The other thing is, since you now need basically all the materials, the materials trader only adds some minor convenience as you always lose something. (either lots of lower level mats trading up, or more valuable harder to obtain mats trading down). You also have to go out of your way to collect the stuff you didn't previously need, which doesn't translate into a proportional increase in time spent, but it's not no time spent.

And unless the material targeting display indicates what's in your hold, you will constantly have to keep looking at your materials cargo to check you aren't wasting your time because you already hit the cap. (unless you have an eidetic memory, which I sure as hell don't).

There's also no mats trader for resources or data, as far as I can tell. I've just been trying to gather some cracked firmware and the prospect of having to do this up to 10 times more often has me reaching for the uninstall icon.

* that's 900% assuming 3 rolls per rank gain and 1 roll in G5. Which in the former case is conservative and in the later, will produce inferior results on average vs a single G5 roll in the current system. In practice, this means your mat requirements will sometimes be worse than 30 mats per module (up from 3) and you'd have likely gotten a better result with the new system with 1 roll.

Edit: actually, crack is a bad example since that's predominantly used in grade 5 blueprints wherein the deterministic path to an optimal module should mean you have to gather significantly less of it when you are chasing the best results.
Last edited by Deal on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 pm

TorTorden wrote:uh please.

The chieftain drifts so much it positively has an implementation of 'flight assist light'.
It's bleeding brilliant.
But it responds quickly to thrust input in any direction so it doesn't tend to 'stall' in place as much as say the fer-de-lance.

For anyone who is comparing it to the python, you are all idiots.

I'd agree that the Chieftain and the Python are not in the same category, although for anyone casually calling people idiots, you are all idiots.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Deal wrote:And unless the material targeting display indicates what's in your hold,

It does.....

You can also set a material to be ignored....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:32 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:
Deal wrote:And unless the material targeting display indicates what's in your hold,

It does.....

You can also set a material to be ignored....

Thanks. Logic prevails.

Also, a mea culpa is in order. I've only just started with engineering so I think I've failed to appreciate how the different materials are distributed across schematics, and which schematics are more frequently used.

I've just been looking around inara and it doesn't look as bad as I'd feared with respect to raw materials and data.

I think making out of band material exchanges less productive was probably a wise move, else people would just identify the fastest way to gain the grade 5 mats and you'd end up with a material gathering mono culture. I'm still not convinced that it's a good deal for just getting your gear up to modest G5 level, but the practicalities are involved enough that I lack the experience to judge at this point and I'll have to find out in due course.

Turns kneejerk outrage dial down to 6.5

Edit: blueprints, I should say.

Return to “General Discussion”