Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 2nd account via Humble Bundle, how?

Postby Loriath » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Oh Shit. i forgot a step. Redeem the key in steam, then it will give you the key # for FD. When you do it in Steam, just tell it not to install.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Loriath wrote:Oh Shit. i forgot a step. Redeem the key in steam, then it will give you the key # for FD. When you do it in Steam, just tell it not to install.

Redeemed it in Steam. Gave me nothing but added the "commander pack" to my main account now. I think that made it worse..
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Can't even create a ticket to FD, when logging into the support page I get "Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception'" and so on.. I'm starting to think I just threw money into the wind.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Cometborne » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Loriath wrote:
JustSomeGuy wrote:By copying Elite launcher + binaries to another location I get to play both accounts at the same time, making multicrew / wing with myself possible. I hope.. One can have greatly reduced details / resolution to keep the other account running smooth.

Nope, they are hardcoded as to the location. <<<You cannot run 2 versions at the same time unless you are using 2 PC's or VM's. And if you did, it would be seen as an explot to team up with yourself. Same IP remember?

Actually, you can. I have two accounts, each installed into a different directory from the same windows user, and I can wing up with myself.

All you need to do is to close the launcher for account #1 before you start the launcher for account #2.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:Redeemed it in Steam. Gave me nothing but added the "commander pack" to my main account now. I think that made it worse..

I don't think you said your first account was in steam. I assumed it was not. Clear your cache on your browser and try contacting support again. If you get the same error, you have to clear the windows browser cache (even if you don't use it, don't ask me to explain why) under control Panel - Internet options.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:15 am

I did mention it in the first post.
Well anyway, I managed to create a ticket with my main account. The alt account just gave that same error no matter what browser and on 2 machines. Now I'll just wait a few days for their reply.
I fear that the reply will be something like "since you used the steam key, there's nothing we can do for you."
In that case I paid a lot of extra for a few sidewinder and viper skins I don't use.

Anyways, we're good, it is my own mess.

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am

Cometborne wrote:
Loriath wrote:
JustSomeGuy wrote:By copying Elite launcher + binaries to another location I get to play both accounts at the same time, making multicrew / wing with myself possible. I hope.. One can have greatly reduced details / resolution to keep the other account running smooth.

Nope, they are hardcoded as to the location. <<<You cannot run 2 versions at the same time unless you are using 2 PC's or VM's. And if you did, it would be seen as an explot to team up with yourself. Same IP remember?

Actually, you can. I have two accounts, each installed into a different directory from the same windows user, and I can wing up with myself.

All you need to do is to close the launcher for account #1 before you start the launcher for account #2.

What sorcery is this?

I tried running the launcher anew and when I clicked to start the game (different directory, account), it just focused the existing game.

Eh, maybe I screwed up somewhere.

I'm currently running my second account via a different user (Shift right click, run as..) This creates a separate appdata folder so you can have totally different settings. Including different HUD matrices so it's more obvious which game account you are looking at.

I seem to remember reading a while back that you can create a hard link to ostensibly run from a different directory, even though it's actually pointed to the same folder too (saves space). Didn't try that yet though.

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am

JustSomeGuy wrote:I did mention it in the first post.
Well anyway, I managed to create a ticket with my main account. The alt account just gave that same error no matter what browser and on 2 machines. Now I'll just wait a few days for their reply.
I fear that the reply will be something like "since you used the steam key, there's nothing we can do for you."
In that case I paid a lot of extra for a few sidewinder and viper skins I don't use.

Anyways, we're good, it is my own mess.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ ... 863135237/

Money quote: "Solved: After submitting a ticket to the Steam Support they removed the key from my account and made the key usable again"

I gather that steam should prevent you from redeeming keys for games you already own, but that if your key was some sort of bundle containing stuff you already bought, it does work, and you will lose the duplicates.

All I can suggest is that you contact steam support asap, explain what happened and if they give you the key back, make a throwaway steam account. redeem the game there, then you can copy the game key and add it to your frontier account and run without steam.

Edit: I couldn't for the life of me persuade steam to cough up the game codes until I installed the bloody thing. Very glad I got fibre recently. :/

Anyone know how to get keys for games you own but have yet to install?

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:42 pm

Deal wrote:https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/368542585863135237/

Money quote: "Solved: After submitting a ticket to the Steam Support they removed the key from my account and made the key usable again"

I gather that steam should prevent you from redeeming keys for games you already own, but that if your key was some sort of bundle containing stuff you already bought, it does work, and you will lose the duplicates.

All I can suggest is that you contact steam support asap, explain what happened and if they give you the key back, make a throwaway steam account. redeem the game there, then you can copy the game key and add it to your frontier account and run without steam.

Edit: I couldn't for the life of me persuade steam to cough up the game codes until I installed the bloody thing. Very glad I got fibre recently. :/

Anyone know how to get keys for games you own but have yet to install?

Thanks for the tip. At least the refund did not work as I tried it;
"Retail activations cannot be refunded through Steam. Please contact the retailer where the product was purchased for refund availability and instructions."

I'll try to find a way to create a ticket anyway, their support system has many categories and of course nothing fits to this problem..

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 pm

FD support replied.
Does not sound as grim as I expected.. They told me to contact HB and ask them to revoke and replace the Steam key.
After that I just need to create another Steam account where to redeem the new key and from there I get the key needed by FD.
It just might take a while as HB support site mentioned that they are drowning in tickets at the moment, and it could take 5+ days to reply. But that's allright as long as this thing gets sorted.

Return to “General Discussion”