Master
CMDR: Cometborne
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 2nd account via Humble Bundle, how?

Postby Cometborne » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 pm

Deal wrote:
Cometborne wrote:
Loriath wrote:
Nope, they are hardcoded as to the location. <<<You cannot run 2 versions at the same time unless you are using 2 PC's or VM's. And if you did, it would be seen as an explot to team up with yourself. Same IP remember?

Actually, you can. I have two accounts, each installed into a different directory from the same windows user, and I can wing up with myself.

All you need to do is to close the launcher for account #1 before you start the launcher for account #2.

What sorcery is this?

I tried running the launcher anew and when I clicked to start the game (different directory, account), it just focused the existing game.

No idea why it just works here. I am not using Steam for E:D at all, just the FD launcher, and neither of the two installs is in the default location of c:\program files.... One is in D:\EDLaunch, the other in D:\AltElite

Just works, only problem is that the journals land in the same appdata directory. Captain's Log will happily mix them together, and EDDI goes absolutely nuts when both accounts are in-game at the same time.

Small price to pay
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Could be humble bundle only had keys that would work with steam.
And thus not compatible with fd directly.

And since you already had ed in steam it went tits up.
What I did for my second was to buy it directly from FD in their store on a second email and thus an just needed to enter that login in leu of my main account.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:29 am

Cometborne wrote:
Deal wrote:
Cometborne wrote:
Actually, you can. I have two accounts, each installed into a different directory from the same windows user, and I can wing up with myself.

All you need to do is to close the launcher for account #1 before you start the launcher for account #2.

What sorcery is this?

I tried running the launcher anew and when I clicked to start the game (different directory, account), it just focused the existing game.

No idea why it just works here. I am not using Steam for E:D at all, just the FD launcher, and neither of the two installs is in the default location of c:\program files.... One is in D:\EDLaunch, the other in D:\AltElite

Just works, only problem is that the journals land in the same appdata directory. Captain's Log will happily mix them together, and EDDI goes absolutely nuts when both accounts are in-game at the same time.

Small price to pay

PEBCAK error on my part. Must have launched from the same folder by mistake when testing with the same windows account.

I'm going to stick with running as a different windows user because I have different settings and logs.

What I've done is delete my steam installation folder, since I'm not going to launch from steam, then copied everything except Win64 from my main folder (EDLaunch) into a new folder (Named ED-Likewise since that's my second CMDR name), then created a directory link at Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64 that points to the Win64 directory in my main installation (Win64 holds the lions share of the installation data).
It might be less annoying to copy everything and then simply delete Win64 in the new folder tbh.

Running cmd.exe as admin, I ran something like "mklink /D Win64 ..\..\..\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64" from within the elite-dangerous-64 parent dir inside the second installation folder to make the link.
(which assumes both installation folders are in the same parent directory)

This means I can run 2 game accounts simultaneously with entirely separate settings and logs, but my second installation folder is only 500MB in size because the data dir is a link to the original folder. Apart from gfx stuff, I can also disable music and or audio on the secondary game account so they don't clash.

Technically, you could probably make links to much of the stuff in the second folder too, but it's already a bit of a faff and I can live with a 500MB disk space penalty for running two clients.

I also created a shortcut for my second account which adds runas /user:Agent /savecred before the EDlaunch path in the new folder.
This pops a command prompt when I run it which asks for the windows user password (Agent is the username). By doing it this way, I don't need to shift right click and fill out the full username and password. I just put in the windows account password (once, since /savecred saves it for next time) and then EDlaunch is ready to play as it remembered my game login and password from last time. One click access to both launchers from shortcuts now.

There's also this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... t-Switcher
But I'm not sure that works with different windows users.

If bookmarks are in someway isolated, I might link that file between users so I can share my bookmarks.

Part of the reason I wanted to have separate appdata folders is because my GPU only has 6 gigs of VRAM. Since E:D seems to use around 4 gigs of that for my main account, I wanted to drop the settings on the other account to run both at once more comfortably. I also run one in a smaller window and the other fullscreen borderless when playing both at once. (I'm not entirely sure that playing two accounts at once will prove to be very useful for me, but it's there).

I guess you can use this method to add a new windows user accounts for every separate config loadout you want to use.
In my case I'd probably only add one more for playing my second account as the main client, granting it fullscreen and max gfx settings.

I'll investigate creating a batch file to run ED-market-connecter then E:D from the shortcut, then maybe kill it when I close elite.
Should be able to have separate accounts for the API stuff too. (probably not worth the trouble to go that far though).

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JustSomeGuy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Deal wrote:https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/368542585863135237/

Money quote: "Solved: After submitting a ticket to the Steam Support they removed the key from my account and made the key usable again"

I gather that steam should prevent you from redeeming keys for games you already own, but that if your key was some sort of bundle containing stuff you already bought, it does work, and you will lose the duplicates.

All I can suggest is that you contact steam support asap, explain what happened and if they give you the key back, make a throwaway steam account. redeem the game there, then you can copy the game key and add it to your frontier account and run without steam.

Edit: I couldn't for the life of me persuade steam to cough up the game codes until I installed the bloody thing. Very glad I got fibre recently. :/

Anyone know how to get keys for games you own but have yet to install?

Steam said no.

Steam support wrote:Steam game subscriptions / CD keys are nontransferable and cannot be moved between Steam accounts.
Similarly, accounts cannot be merged together.

Their first reply said that the key has been reset, but when I tried it on another account it said "The product code you've entered has already been activated by a different Steam account."

So now I need to wait a week for a reply from Humble Bundle, and if they say no too, then I have lost the money.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:27 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:Steam said no.

Steam support wrote:Steam game subscriptions / CD keys are nontransferable and cannot be moved between Steam accounts.
Similarly, accounts cannot be merged together.

Sounds like someone didn't read what you wrote. Clearly, keys are not xferable, but the key was redeemed in error and since it's bloody obvious you already own the game and have nothing to gain by redeeming it twice, they should sort their unmentionables out tbh.

I'd have another bash at steam support in the interim. Make sure you use small words and pretend you are talking to an even smaller child.

The amount of times I've had to laboriously explain to some tech support or CSR person how their own systems work, it's not even funny.

JustSomeGuy wrote:Their first reply said that the key has been reset, but when I tried it on another account it said "The product code you've entered has already been activated by a different Steam account."

So now I need to wait a week for a reply from Humble Bundle, and if they say no too, then I have lost the money.

I'd be surprised if HB can yank a key out of steams infra tbh. But who knows. They might even be able to advise you as how best to proceed with steam if they can't do it themselves.

I hope it works out for you anyway mate.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 pm

I replied to the ticket, tried to make it as easy as possible to understand. Even if I thought it was clear on the first time, as the first support person seemed to understand it. The second did not, or had a different opinion of what's going to happen.

Contacting HB to revoke and replace the key was actually Frontier supports idea. There must been others that has messed up this royally (I hope..) so I hope that they can do it.
Anyways, what I'm expecting to happen next is to Steam support to tell me again that they cannot help me, followed by HBs reply which can be yes or no. If they both say no, then I'm left with FD support which probably tells me how sorry they are to hear that. But as I did not buy the game directly from FD, I understand that there is little they can do. Unless they can somehow fiddle with the Steam keys too. Or have mercy in some other way.

Time will tell.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to keep this thread updated if someone else happens to need it some day.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Hope you get it sorted.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 pm

Steam support replied, and seems that they did understand the issue, here's the reply:

Steam support wrote:I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the same base game registered twice to your Steam account.

As a one time customer service gesture, I have revoked the CD Key for "Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe Edition" from your account and it can now be activated again on a different account.

Please note that future accidental CD Key activations will not be reset.

I finally got the key to another Steam account and got the keys Frontier needed (without installing the game for the 2nd time).
As you can see, be careful with the Steam key. Seems that their policy has changed a bit since 2016..

Now I need a name for the new CMDR :)

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:I finally got the key to another Steam account and got the keys Frontier needed (without installing the game for the 2nd time).
As you can see, be careful with the Steam key. Seems that their policy has changed a bit since 2016..

Result.

Generally speaking, if you buy something, you should get it (in law). Big corps like steam frequently litter their ToS with all kinds of shady and dubious stuff with a mind to persuading people not to pursue it. The only issue I can see in this case is that by redeeming the bundle, you could have gained the cosmetic pack (if it was activated at frontier's end). But if you don't still have those skins on your original account now, I guess mechanisms are in place to revoke them there too, or the entitlement came in the form of another key, which you didn't redeem.

CMDR Phoenix? :D

o7

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master

Postby JustSomeGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Deal wrote:Result.

Generally speaking, if you buy something, you should get it (in law). Big corps like steam frequently litter their ToS with all kinds of shady and dubious stuff with a mind to persuading people not to pursue it. The only issue I can see in this case is that by redeeming the bundle, you could have gained the cosmetic pack (if it was activated at frontier's end). But if you don't still have those skins on your original account now, I guess mechanisms are in place to revoke them there too, or the entitlement came in the form of another key, which you didn't redeem.

CMDR Phoenix? :D

o7

I did not even check on my main account if the paints were there before the key was reset.. I need to take a look but I'm guessing they are not. At least not anymore if they ever were there.

That name would be fitting :D
But I'm sure name like that has been taken a long time ago :)

Return to “General Discussion”