Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Vettie or Bust

Postby DarkMere » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am

I spent all my time before joining mobius and oom in Federation space, also I was a virgin at everything related to the game, happy to just potter around. Since joining oom I have lost my virginity in almost everything. I now have almost every ship I desire and enough money that I do not give a sod. All my engineering grinding is long done and as for my combat rank, I am not interested in grinding it, it will come in its own good time. So what does the man who seemingly has everything not have. I don’t have Corvette and I want one……. NOW :(

Since moving into oom space my federation rank has been static, so I thought if I really want this Corvette I have to go and earn it. So when JohnLuke gave his troops the day off from duties, I went over into a Federation controlled system and took a shed load of missions, completed them, when back and took another shed load and completed them. When I looked at the end of my session my Federation rank had not moved at all and my Empire rank had gone up 5% <sigh>

Clearly I do not understand the mechanism or what I am doing here, so if anyone could enlighten me as to the best way of pushing up my Fed ranking I would be grateful. I am not seeking to grind the ass off it and get to the vettie in record time, just the right approach when I do decide to go and chip a bit more off it.

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Vettie or Bust

Postby pargyrak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 am

I need to do this too (to reach Admiral) and I read that Sothis/Ceos has good Fed missions for grinding.
If you gave the cash 17 Draconis has donation missions
Niu Hsiing has a planetary base that gives a lot of fed missions too

I bet if you google the frontier forum you will get some more up to date answers
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

sean_crow
Competent
Competent
CMDR: sean_crow

Postby sean_crow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am

If you got the credits, fly to ochosi and spend your money.
Got boards with 15-20 high value donation missions for federal cause.

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 am

sean_crow wrote:If you got the credits, fly to ochosi and spend your money.

Sean is right, if you have the cash, lobby.

Deal
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Deal

Postby Deal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 am

*Al* wrote:
sean_crow wrote:If you got the credits, fly to ochosi and spend your money.

Sean is right, if you have the cash, lobby.

This is how I did it. There's also a slightly dubious method you can use.

Take 17 missions, then board flip until you have 3 lowish (300-450, but it's up to you what you want to pay) donation missions. Take, but don't complete those 3, then attempt to take another mission (usually one at the top of the current faction page) which will throw a too many missions error. Then complete the donation missions and attempt to take the top mission again. This time it will throw an invalid mission error.

Then back out to the main station menu and back into the mission board, and marvel at how your 3 low cost donation missions are back ready to be taken again. Rinse and repeat.

Apparently DTEA reported this to FDev and they shrugged at him. I suppose that spending money to fix bugs in the game doesn't generate them any revenues, and people climbing into new ships potentially does (from paint job and ship kits) so they don't care much.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am

How quickly do actions turn into rank increase? I have gone to Ochosi, my Fed rank was on 99% when I landed, I have paid out 50 mill so far in donation missions made up of donations between 1/2 mil to 1 mil and despite re-logging my rank is still at 99% ?

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm

DarkMere wrote:How quickly do actions turn into rank increase? I have gone to Ochosi, my Fed rank was on 99% when I landed, I have paid out 50 mill so far in donation missions made up of donations between 1/2 mil to 1 mil and despite re-logging my rank is still at 99% ?

Uh.. that's not right. I went from zero to hero in one session. I think the worst case scenario is 2x 1,000,000 donations for 1% at the rank before the vette qualification.

Apparently the higher donations grant more, but not proportionately so (not even close). So unless you have a lot of money to burn and want to get from A to B as fast as possible, the lower donations are better.

What rank are you?

And are you sure you are donating to Fed aligned minor factions?

Edit: Never been to Ochiso myself but looking at https://eddb.io/system/factions/14888 there are 3 non Fed factions. If you are ignoring those, then it sounds like you are bugged somehow.

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 pm

Deal wrote:Apparently the higher donations grant more, but not proportionately so (not even close). So unless you have a lot of money to burn and want to get from A to B as fast as possible, the lower donations are better.

I had always heard that all the "Reputation +++" missions gave you the same increase, regardless of donation amount. Is that not true?

Back when I was working my Fed rep I would take any donation mission < 1M CR. Maybe that was a mistake.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Renown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Renown

Postby Renown » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Hrdina wrote:
Deal wrote:Apparently the higher donations grant more, but not proportionately so (not even close). So unless you have a lot of money to burn and want to get from A to B as fast as possible, the lower donations are better.

I had always heard that all the "Reputation +++" missions gave you the same increase, regardless of donation amount. Is that not true?

Back when I was working my Fed rep I would take any donation mission < 1M CR. Maybe that was a mistake.

Same here. Donating 50,000 had the same increase as donating 1,000,000 at least from when I tried it a little while back I could see no comparative increase with a bigger donation. So kept it to 50k and 125k and no more.

Deal
Novice
Novice

Postby Deal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Hrdina wrote:

I've read different opinions in that respect. The problem is, we can't see past the decimal point and don't know at exactly what point your donations are worth less because of the scaling involved as you progress. My impression is that more expensive missions yield more, but that it's more cost effective to go for the cheaper ones. But the practical equation is fairly simple since there are more missions available if you take the 1M donations, you will rank faster if you take them, even if they grant the same amount, and if they don't grant the same amount, it is far from being a proportional difference, so it's always more cost effective to take the cheaper ones.

This is why I didn't investigate more closely because it didn't really matter in the end. It's just time Vs money. Choose your poison.
If you exploit the board, time taken should fall dramatically and it's only sensible to line up some cheaper ones. (though I suppose you'd have to do this several times given the innate board refresh even if you don't flip)

I could have taken consecutive missions with the same payout to try and determine the increase per payout over several percentage points, but I'm just not that diligent when I'm in a rush.

There's so much money to be made now that it's not really an issue anyway. I'd much rather have a balanced progression system with engaging content than inane get rich/rank schemes, but since E:D doesn't seem to have the former to any degree, I'd rather be able to get into some cool ships and try different things than grind out some mercilessly dreary low effort game design to get there.

If I'd done this the hard way after months of grindy grind and now witnessed clowns like me walking into the game and tooling around in multiple vettes and cutters within a week or so of hard lazyness, I'd probably be spitting vitriol though.

Return to “General Discussion”