Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ozjohnd
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Planetary scan missions ... and bounties

Postby ozjohnd » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:52 pm

used the drone view last night on two scans ... worked wonders.

I did however forget to wait long enough for my first bounty timer and now I have a double bounty with a 24 hour cooldown ... at least my turn-ins are on a 6D timer so I won't lose the payments for the two planetary scans simply by waiting 24 hours before I attempt to hand in. (I suck at silent running docking .. must practice this when I have time and no bounty ... then get myself a bounty and a sidwinder to practice being under duress).

There is a level of designer stupid in getting a bounty from the faction that requested the scan ... and disingenuous to call them planetary scan missions when in fact they are not, they are land on a planet then illegally scan an outpost/building data point.

At least the bounty should be issued by the owner of the data point who is not the mission requester .... or am I being scammed in a inner circle faction domestic dispute ?!

The pendulum swings between tension (do I call this fun?) and down right frustration.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am

Yup. These types of planetary scan missions sometimes leaves me scratching my head. Why is the faction offering me a mission to scan one of their data points and then giving me a fine for it. Thing is, these are not the only types of missions where this happens. So the theory is, that we are independent unknown contractors used by the faction and will be disavowed if we get caught.
When I do these missions, I just park my SRV at the edge of the trespass zone. Scan the private data link. Run back to the ship and take off. No need to kill anything.
Then wait for the timer to expire, to a h-jump and pay off the fine when I feel like it.

knight76
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Knight76

Postby knight76 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:50 am

I took a "skimmer" mission after reading a little about them online, sounded easy money.

Take the mission it said, kill a few of those skimmers it said.

So I land on this dust bowl planet nearby to the target to scan. Jump in the SRV and make tracks to the data point, trigger the skimmers and blast away. Suddenly in the background a ship blasts off and commences showing me the error of my ways picking on his little robotic buddies, I about face a high tail it back to my ship to engage in a little "below the hard deck" combat top gun style, end up having to run and supercruise away.

So, these skimmer missions, is there a way to handle them without upsetting the sentry ship? Or what do you normally do for these? Kill the sentry before landing?

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 am

Check the area for parked ships before you start. If there is a solitary sentry, boost up and away to the escape point. Once in SC return to the site; more often than not you will find yourself alone.

knight76
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Knight76

Postby knight76 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks Walter. I'll give that a try.

Return to “General Discussion”