Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ozjohnd
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Tourists who dislike being scanned

Postby ozjohnd » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:55 pm

On the weekend I spent hours doing a very long (you know the sort, multiple sites, 60+ jumps - then similar return) with a tourist who objected to being scanned ... once as I left the station I picked him up from ... not once during the hours of trip, then scanned again as I was entering the return station. He "jumped ship" (idiot I hope he died), after only being scanned for the second time FFS ... and I was left with almost no monetary reward for the hours spent in game (almost none because I did at least get 50K for the "discoveries" along the way).

Shitty occurrences like this make one want to abandon Elite Dangerous as a "game" that produces such profound let-downs.

Lesson learned : do not act as tour guide for "secretive" tourists.

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Tourists who dislike being scanned

Postby Lanceor » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Indeed, numerous Cmdrs have petitioned Frontier for a "vent passengers into space" button because of shenanigans like that.
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Mr_McBride
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Mr_McBride

Postby Mr_McBride » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm

We *should* have the ability to collect payment before opening the airlock to let the passengers out.

FDev, are you listening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby LeDoyen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 pm

just exit the station and return to it quickly in silent running, maybe with the help of a heatsink and that's all there is to it.

The only time i get them dissatisfied is when i forget to read the mission statement and exit like normal.

Just practice o nce or twice docking and undocking without being scanned, it's really easy.

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 pm

I started towing passengers because I needed Modular Terminals for an engineer. Bought Orca, installed various cabins, took three groups of VIPs to fly around. One of them appeared to be wanted criminal. When someone asked for some commodity, I tried to sneak into a station with Silent Running. When I was already landing on a pad, my ship heated up, I tried to turn off Silent Running, but messed with controls and turned off Flight Assist instead. It ended up not very good, ship started bouncing inside the station and blew up with all the passengers.

Second attempt. One of the passengers wasn't criminal, but "wanted". Still not good to be scanned. I visited all the locations fro all three groups, picked up all optional commodities and on my way to final destination I tried to boost into mailslot. Missed the grill just a little friggin tiny bit, hit the station, shields gone, hull down to 17%, ALL passengers panicked and ejected!

Since then I never took criminals on a trip.

As for "shitty occurrences". Well, shit happens, but it's not fatal. Purpose of this game (at least for me) is not in getting big virtual "credit score". I met new people, I saw pretty nice generated images of imaginary planets, I virtually killed virtual bad guys after hard day at work. When I tell this story about my very first VIP taxi experience to other people they laugh and I laugh too. When shit happens, make fun out of it, don't get frustrated.

Keep calm and Fly safe! o7

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Lanceor wrote:Indeed, numerous Cmdrs have petitioned Frontier for a "vent passengers into space" button because of shenanigans like that.

I can has a reward for dumping wanted criminals to the sun?

ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby ozjohnd » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm

... its a tough way to find out one should be treating this as a smuggling mission and go cool and silent but I will have a practice knowing now this is an option.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 am

There is an easy solution for all of this.
It's called READING THE MISSION TEXT.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

UNST3RBLICH
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Unsterblich

Postby UNST3RBLICH » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 am

TorTorden wrote:There is an easy solution for all of this.

^ This. As someone relatively new to Elite, I read everything. If there's a chance the cargo I'm being sent to salvage is listed as illicit, I forgo it until I know I have enough flight time, knowledge, and skill to be able to complete such a task.

I've seen videos of how to smuggle things into stations without being scanned, such as running silent or boosting into the station quickly. None of the options ever gave me the impression that they would be without risk, so it's better to practice first.

ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby ozjohnd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:41 am

TorTorden wrote:There is an easy solution for all of this.

I did ... tell me something I missed where I was told being scanned twice (once on the way out of the station and once on the way back in) was going to be a fail.

I was already aware of avoidance of transporting illicit goods but was not aware it was possible with "silent running" ... wasn't even aware of the existence of "silent running" before this thread. LeDoyen was way more helpful than you TorTorden.

I guess its more than "READING THE MISSION TEXT" ... its also understanding the implications in a game that is not newb friendly ... and maybe that some (say, someone who has achieved Elite status in-game and posted over 3000 times in this forum) still feel it necessary to gratuitously state the bleeding obvious without actually being helpful.

Return to “General Discussion”