Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
DRPlatus
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Delorean R. Platus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Tourists who dislike being scanned

Postby DRPlatus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:56 am

Some good advice in this thread, two things that stand out for me to avoid scans with pax who are averse to this:

1) Silent Running and dropping Heat Sinks
2) Boosting

Of the two, and I've tried both, boosting works for me. When approaching a station in SC, I try to be as aligned as possible with the mail slot before dropping. Once I've dropped, I go full throttle, request docking permission, and boost. Of course, you need to watch out for other traffic and make sure you go through the mail slot by following the greens to avoid a collision. Depending on the ship I'm using, and the config, I may or may not have a DC installed. If I do, I let it land once I am safely inside the station, otherwise land manually obviously.

This does take practice, and Flight Control has warned me a few times about speeding and reckless flying. To placate the controller, I usually find out when they go off duty, and buy them a drink. That generally works! :D

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:36 pm

DRPlatus wrote:This does take practice, and Flight Control has warned me a few times about speeding and reckless flying. To placate the controller, I usually find out when they go off duty, and buy them a drink. That generally works! :D

Honestly, with cmdrs boosting in and out of stations like crazy people, I sometimes wish that stations would enforce their damn regulations and issue big fines and maybe even confiscate and lock down a ship - for a while at least. :P
It's time to give this another go.

wooleyx64
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: wooley-x64

Postby wooleyx64 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I get fined about 30% of the time due to the NPC sec ship slamming into me as I am leaving. My ship aint small, but it appears that if I were going the proper speed this would not happen. At least it stops the scan since he goes springing off in the other direction

There is no left lane in space...

Slamdance Kozmopolis
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Slamdance Kozmopolis

Postby Slamdance Kozmopolis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Here's the thing about silent running... it won't stop you from being scanned per se. It just makes successful scans take much longer and makes detection ranges much shorter.

So, if you get a scan warning and you boost away while in silent running, there's much less chance of the scan you detected coming to a successful completion.

When I enter a star port, I don't boost. I do go in pretty fast and enter silent running about 1.5k from the slot (if I haven't detected any scans yet).

Traffic control never complains about me speeding. However, they do warn that they have lost sensor contact with my ship and ask if I need assistance. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”