Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ozjohnd
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Tourists who dislike being scanned

Postby ozjohnd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 am

... and doing a Google search on Elite Dangerous secretive passengers makes for interesting reading ... very interesting.

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Lanceor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:37 am

Ah, don't worry about Tor - he was also newbie once, but it was so long ago that the memories have long since been repressed! :D
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby raorn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:44 am

TorTorden wrote:There is an easy solution for all of this.
It's called READING THE MISSION TEXT.
Ha! Reading instructions is for sissies! All great inventions were made because someone refused to follow "instructions"! :-D

Отправлено с моего Nexus 9 через Tapatalk

kktwenty
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: KKTwenty

Postby kktwenty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 pm

treat all missions as "do not scan". It is good practice docking with silent running (and heatsink dropping). It is annoying when you make a tiny mistake and they all eject though. They shouldn't allow ejecting, just lower the reward if need be (drop to 25% for the worst case etc)

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 pm

I have found that as long as your ship has a half decent boost, you can boost out of the station and keep boosting until out of security range. Likewise when going back I make sure I am lined up with the stations mail slot before exiting low wake and then one or two boosts as you ask for docking permission and you have plenty of time to slow up. I never use heat sinks now, but keep them at hand just in case something goes wrong.

wooleyx64
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: wooley-x64

Postby wooleyx64 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I have never done the passenger missions yet, but I assumed its just the same as Smuggling when it comes to not being scanned. What I have to believe for my sanity is that fdev assumes players have already done plenty of smuggling missions thus far and know that even a single scan will get you a failure. With that in mind shoot for no scans

My only advice: (the following is all opinion and personal exp)
NEVER GET SCANNED have this mind set always and just make it a mini game so that you don't get lazy.

LEAVING
How do you go about doing this...Open up that radar zoom first off
BOOST out of the mail slot as you leave, if you see some security ships swarming on the left side you can either try to blast through them catching them off guard before they have a chance to line up for a full scan or you can attempt to go right and avoid them completely. In my own experience going straight out is only going to work if you happen to be leaving as no other ships are within view of the mail slot. If you see an NPC inbound you can probably bet he was just scanned coming in. (meaning a sec ship is probably lined up and facing the slot)

Once you get the hang of firing out of the slot and going one direction try toggling FAOFF on your second boost to make that sharp turn to throw off the sec ships.

ENTERING
I always line up with the slot a long ways out, boosting constantly and I do not request dock until at least 5k sometimes less...(I have VA so the docking request is happening while I am still flying)

I don't gear down until I am just about to hit the cage around the mail slot. I have also found that if I am not coming dead on with the slot and I am coming in at a weird angle it sometimes helps to roll over. This slows you down as well as re-orients your view which for me at least helps me line up with the slot.

I have not smuggled in some time. I am rolling my sploraconda about 90% of the time and its fitted to move like a fish outta water. (That was clubbed a few times) In the interest of time I still boost in and out of the mail slot and sometimes I do hit the walls, but that's what shields are for.

I would say the best advice for not getting scanned is be sure that you are very comfortable with the ship you are using. Practice spirited docking often, not just when needed. A few weeks back I jumped into my Type 6 for some reason. (I cannot recall why) What I do remember was the oh **** moment when I realized this thing does not like to stop and slammed into the back of the station.

Slamdance Kozmopolis
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Slamdance Kozmopolis

Postby Slamdance Kozmopolis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 pm

wooleyx64 has some good advice!

As someone who does lotsa passenger missions, let me add a bit more...

Don't loiter ANYWHERE. I have failed missions by being scanned only once at tourist beacons! My advice is to carry lots of heatsinks and be prepared to boost and enter silent running as soon as a scan is detected. If you are in a fairly quick ship, this should be sufficient.

Using this method, I've never had a problem evading scans in my Orca. However, after upgrading to an Anaconda I did have problems until I upgraded my thrusters and power distributor.

At this point, I always try to avoid scans whether it is a mission requirement or not--best to always keep on your toes...

*Pro tip: Long range passengers are always secretive/scan averse, and you can fail a mission from a single scan!

Keep that in mind when you are docking after a 40 kylie passenger/exploration mission that took you two weeks of playtime to complete!!!

PS

Also consider adding a docking computer. Normally, I don't use them, but they do come in handy for "hot landings."

PPS

Avoid "no scan" missions that involve planetary bases. It is MUCH harder to avoid scans at planetary bases.

The only time I ever lost a ship on a passenger mission was while trying to land at a planetary base with a wanted passenger.

wooleyx64
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: wooley-x64

Postby wooleyx64 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Oh, I'd also like to add...I boost right off the pad. Gear up balls out! (When leaving)

Why? So that I am going at a very good speed when I hit the mail slot and by the time I am out my boost is ready again. Is this wise? Hell no!

Is it fun and exciting? Hell Yes!

I will supplement that with, if I even have the slightest inkling I am going to miss or about to smash into some other ship I hit 4 pips to shields. I have not died yet. Even in my paper thin 3A unboosted conda. YMMV on different load outs. Good news is if you miss the slot you can always turn around and try again. I would say its better to be down to half shields and still in the station,(to try it again) then playing pinball in the mail slot with no speed and a prime target for scanning. Plus, have no choice but to leave due to the departure already ticking off and then you are trespassing.

Its Elite Dangerous...live on the edge.

ozjohnd
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: ozjohnd

Postby ozjohnd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Thank you wooleyx64 and slamdance ... sets me a task of re-learning how to dock and undock.

Lanceor
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Lanceor

Postby Lanceor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 pm

Yah, plenty of good tips above.

Slamdance Kozmopolis wrote:Using this method, I've never had a problem evading scans in my Orca. However, after upgrading to an Anaconda I did have problems until I upgraded my thrusters and power distributor.

It just occurred to me that I'm using an exploration spec conda with seats... maybe I should A-rate it properly. ;)
Very little game time, but often chatting at work.

Return to “General Discussion”