Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Wouldn't it be cool...(2)

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:37 pm

lightning storms, blizzards.. it's all.. atmospheric, so we'll have to wait for planetary landings. so far we only hit barren moons.

earthquakes are too short to be of any gameplay use, but i guess triggering a rare event that happens on random after hundreds of years of wait is no different to searching for very rare engineering materials, so it's right up their alley :p

Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby Edddelos » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:59 pm

LeDoyen wrote:lightning storms, blizzards.. it's all.. atmospheric, so we'll have to wait for planetary landings. so far we only hit barren moons.

earthquakes are too short to be of any gameplay use, but i guess triggering a rare event that happens on random after hundreds of years of wait is no different to searching for very rare engineering materials, so it's right up their alley :p

Didn't know about the rule that eathquakes have to be short :ugeek: ...I guess should have been more specific, was thinking more like planetary tremors, perhaps like every five minutes.

For now on I'll try be more detailed when I share my ideas. :?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Well, if they applied real tidal force simulation I'm sure you could find a planet just on the outskirts of the Roche limit and experience landmasses being shifted by tidal forces.

I think we are however far far far away from seeing this in action.

Cause to do this right you would almost have to do fluid simulations on the entire planetary mass.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:10 pm

it would then be a fun ride to land on Miterrand Hollow :)
but you're right Edddelos, like on the smallest planets or if we have asteroid landings sometime, i'd imagine these to be pretty unstable, losely bound together. imagine the ground opening under your SRV's wheels, making vertican thrusters a real life saver!
I bet Braben himself would love that kind of stuff since he stated many times that he likes to have some level of scientific correctness to Elite, but the game itself is not finished, and we're talking polishing here.

As it is, to me at least, it looks like the backbone of a game more than a finished one.
We have lots of combat (this feature doesn't need much narrative), boring exploration and some trading with an economy that is interesting to say the least. that's it.
No narrative, no lore, no backstory to be seen in game yet, besides a phrase at each CG (that would take months or years to tell even a short story at this rate). Everything is locked in books, in google, in reddit, in forums, in youtube but not accessible in game.

So there is a LOT of work before they get to implement fun features like these. Regardless, they would be sweet !

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 am

LeDoyen wrote:it would then be a fun ride to land on Miterrand Hollow :)

Been there....Done that......Got the T-shirt.......

Like the rest of the Team...........

And that is fun.................

;)

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Wouldn't it be cool...(3)

Postby Edddelos » Fri May 25, 2018 12:35 am

Thought I'd add to this series of thread since frontier aanounced they are going to open up to more player input. This is only to pitch my idea. Feedback is welcome, I usually have brainstorms of ideas, this happens to be one of them. This one derived from Isokix.Space website where said player stated that Frontier has ignored doing any exploration missions, I find said statment half true since there are passenger missions that can take a person outside the bubble.

So here it goes:

To have an Exploration mission giver, much like they have regular missions or passenger missions but an exploration mission giver.

- Mission can go along the lines of "in search of new colonization opportunities", where said mission sends pilot out to scan a particular system
and do a discovery scan and bring back data to mission giver.

- Search and recue missions. Those can be refuel, rescue escape pods.

-Not every station would have a exploration mission giver.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Re: Wouldn't it be cool...(3)

Postby tinnitus » Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Edddelos wrote: To have an Exploration mission giver, much like they have regular missions or passenger missions but an exploration mission giver.

- Mission can go along the lines of "in search of new colonization opportunities", where said mission sends pilot out to scan a particular system
and do a discovery scan and bring back data to mission giver.

- Search and recue missions. Those can be refuel, rescue escape pods.

-Not every station would have a exploration mission giver.

So here is a mission go "X" number of light years for pure exploration, "brilliant". I'll sign up for that especially scan for ELW or rescue missing ship(s). Always wondered why escape pods signals cannot broadcast outside a Unknown Single Source, we can now see at a glance a Non Human Signal Source so why not an "escape pod source". Also have the ability to Tag more than one USS when multiple sources are appearing right in front of the ship's nose, a Time-to-live temp tag.

Today rescue beacons broadcasts via Satellites.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Return to “General Discussion”