Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Limited Star system?

Postby Edddelos » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:02 pm

New to game, so if someone can help me out. Was looking at controlling factions system map (Looks like mult-colored nucleus), was wondering beyond that I don't see solar systems/Planets on my map. Is that because I haven't ventured that far? Or nobody ventured there yet? Or is that end of sandbox? I have grid lines on, and can see three numbers like 4800, 200, 5300. Numbers change as I pan in or out, can I venture out there?

For instance : Hyades sector QN-T C3-21 not covered with said nucleus.

Has anyone ventured to say, California nebula?

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Limited Star system?

Postby *Al* » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Have a 'switch' away from the Powerplay map and a play with the filters and see a bigger picture.

And, Welcome!

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:14 pm

When you log into the Galaxy Map only the nearest 100(?) stars are shown. If you zoom out you will see the sphere these systems make around your selected point - zoom right out to see the whole galaxy. The sphere will be larger or smaller depending on the density of the stars in your region.

Some of your nearest stars will also be hidden for clarity: zoom in or out just a little way to bring different local systems into view.

If you type in the name of a system, the GM will move focus to that system and you will see the 100 systems surrounding your target system.

There are 400 billion stars so a lot of the data is hidden until you need it - that's what the filters are for; they are very useful for giving you a different perspective on your locality.

It is possible to travel to nebulae within the galaxy - most have been visited - but you will need to type in the name before you can plot a course.

*Al*
Master
Master

Postby *Al* » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:00 pm

My version was more poetic

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Don't need to know the name of systems.

Just click near where you want to go and plot a course.
after the latest update you can plot for 20 000 ly at the time. Used to be limited to 1000, or 999.

Bring a fuel scoop, biggest you can fit/afford and biggest fsd you can fit.
We can get into the rest if you want, like advanced disco scanner, detail scanner, and an srv.

The simulated galaxy is a true marvel in this game.
And the humanly occupied "bubble" is to be considered as very tiny in comparison.
As much as <500 ly is a "short distance".

One feature I really would like however would be if they could account for relativity.
Light takes time to travel so when we magically jump 50ly in 30 seconds we have moved 50 years forward in time compared to what we perceived.

So if we jump to what we think is a great big star it could have collapsed already and we land in a supermassive black hole instead.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 am

Also, there will be systems to which you do not have a system map for. This is because they are not “well known” systems and you have not visited or bought data for them yet. Most of the game is made up of such systems as the human occupied bubble is very small. Even then, there are some human occupied systems which you need to scan or buy data for before you can view it’s system map.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Yeshe McGermot
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Yeshe McGermot

Postby Yeshe McGermot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:28 pm

TorTorden wrote:One feature I really would like however would be if they could account for relativity.
Light takes time to travel so when we magically jump 50ly in 30 seconds we have moved 50 years forward in time compared to what we perceived.

So if we jump to what we think is a great big star it could have collapsed already and we land in a supermassive black hole instead.

But, but ... frameshift ist magic!?
"I can slump on my couch with a beer and chips and no pants on - the typical uniform of any good space trucker."
Joel Peterson, Destructoid

*Al*
Master
Master

Postby *Al* » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:31 pm

TorTorden wrote:Light takes time to travel so when we magically jump 50ly in 30 seconds we have moved 50 years forward in time compared to what we perceived.

Hell Kharma is old!

Return to “General Discussion”